Singapore Expats

Maids in the condo pool?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
roslan

Post by roslan » Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:50 pm

morenangpinay wrote:I am a Filipina and although I am not a maid, I have been mistaken for one by locals alot of times. A local shop owner even followed me around once while I was shopping in her store...
that sums up my whole feeling for this topic... most of you can bitch about theres nothing wrong bout the rules, but i tell you its discriminating.
i m a local and i was also followed ard when go shopping.the salesman would try to be nice and ask me do i need help etc...or i was followed by the security guards.i went kl also same,i went batam also same,i went japan also same....pple followed us to gv assistance and dunt let ur imagination run wild.if u dunt like,u can walk out from the shop like wat i normally do.dunt be a crybaby and complain here.u dunt like rules in certain countries then dunt even bother to come to that country no matter how much ure being paid for coming to that country.save ur own face and dignity.nobody force u to do sumthing which u dunt like.i used to work in other countries or be sent for training abroad.and i go to each country with respect to their laws,rules and everything stated dont or cannot means i dont do it..my main objective is to work and i find somewhere else to play..discriminating?to each his own.u think so that way so be it.but dunt tell me other countries dunt have other practices that condemmed them to being discrimating..tell those black man whom played soccer IN Europe.do they also suffer racial discrimination.my main point is,u dun like it here,DUNT CUM HERE..All being said.
live life the fullest

roslan

Post by roslan » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:03 am

morenangpinay wrote:
Plavt wrote:
morenangpinay wrote: Who told you that Flor Contemplacion was guilty? the government? the media? and you actually believe this is 100 percent true? journalism here isnt free its also one sided in favor of the you know..
There is little doubt if any that Flor Contemplacion was guilty. Ms Contemplacion was in prison for some 4 years prior to her execution yet never contested the charges as already mentioned. Rather ironic that The Philippines itself has the death penalty don't you think? See following article;

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/flor.html
yes we do have death penalty although it is rarely used due to the influence of Catholic churches.Singapore will not risk another Flor Contemplacion anymore. it affected the trade relations.
whether it affected the trade relations,its none of ur bisnes...what can u do if it happens again.are u the president secretary to blah blah here?or do u work with the filipino govt?if ure just an ordinary citizen,just let the govt handle btwn themselves.u just sit there and watch.all crimes must be punished.according to the law of each country u been.so if Flor is a catholic,she must be given a chance to live?did u read the recent report of how a maid abuse the employer's toddler?what wrong does the kid do to deserve that?do u know bout maids whom stole from employers whom really trusted them,treat them like a family?just cant go swimming become a big ISSUE!!!!GIRL go and find out what is the worst happening around the world and relate here.not just swimming thingy.
live life the fullest

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:54 am

why do people like to TYPE in text speak???? arrghhhh

:???:

vink
Regular
Regular

Post by vink » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 1:48 am

Reading the last few posts just gave me a headache.
Last edited by vink on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

vink
Regular
Regular

Post by vink » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 1:51 am

Think that markhed is sure there are no vehicles because he said EMPTY road. :D
roslan wrote:
markhed wrote:Jaywalking is a nightmare on orchard I agree, but there is a difference between skipping in and out of cars on a busy street and walking across an empty road at 7am...
how sure are u tat there will be no veh ard 7am when u jaywalk?can u be sure tat there are no sleepyheads or drunkards driving on the road?whom suddenly appeared out of nowher?hit and run you.if the authorities did something there must be a rational behind it.others living here also get summons for jaywalking if ure unlucky to be caught.how many fatal road accidents happened because of human carelessness and cant be bothered attitude...simply said if none of the foreigners here agree with the law or rules here,just dont be here.thats it.no one forced u all to stay here if u dunt like.to each his own

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 2:01 am

I'm surprised this thread is still alive...the rules are the rules, it doesn't matter ......I would also like my maid to go into the pool, hopefully she can in the public swimming pool, but this is also not guaranteed

roslan

Post by roslan » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 2:24 am

ksl wrote:I'm surprised this thread is still alive...the rules are the rules, it doesn't matter ......I would also like my maid to go into the pool, hopefully she can in the public swimming pool, but this is also not guaranteed
I read this thread sometime back and i am surprised by the way someone so called the moderator would go ard pouring petrol onto the fire,add salt to the wound rather than explaining others here of the rules and regulations whichever place we go,we should respect and follow.any queries,disagreement should be brought up to the proper channel rather than boasting in here who he is donkey years back and those oil rig style of living.GET A LIFE DUDE!
live life the fullest

roslan

Post by roslan » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 2:30 am

[quote="vink"]Think that markhed is sure there are no vehicles because he said EMPTY road.
everyone presume its an empty road til they were hit and run by sumthin.then people would say he is such a good fella.obey the rules blah blah blah....but in fact?i have witnessed few years back when i was going back to my car when a gal walk across the road presuming the road was clear.but a bike suddenly sped and hit her.she was lucky to be alive.
live life the fullest

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 7:06 am

patsy_sg wrote:why do people like to TYPE in text speak???? arrghhhh

vink wrote:Reading the last few posts just gave me a headache.
patsy_sg & vink,

Normally it's because a poster has no respect for themselves. Rarely is it because a poster doesn't know any better. Occasionally it's just somebody who has excellent English who likes to pull on a persona to hide the fact. Unfortunately, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here. It this case it just looks like one of those people who doesn't have any friends and usually by reading their posts it pretty obvious why.

Generally they are known as trolls and they come and go like the tides that bring in the flotsam & jetsam and leaves their garbage that either get washed back out on the following tide or buried in the sands of time. A normal troll:

Oh, sorry, welcome to the forum Roslan, it's a shame your xenophobic mindset can't let you see the light.

sms

As for the moderators, we are normal posters just like everybody else. We only moderate if and when it becomes necessary to remove advertising, foul language, racist remarks and any other untoward remarks or splitting/moving of threads IF we deem it necessary. While I might not agree with the the pure rubbish you are spouting, I'll defend your right to say it as long as you don't overstep your bounds. Then we would have to then moderate your activities. So with that in mind, enjoy your stay..... :wink:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:29 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]

patsy_sg & vink,

Normally it's because a poster has no respect for themselves. Rarely is it because a poster doesn't know any better. Occasionally it's just somebody who has excellent English who likes to pull on a persona to hide the fact. Unfortunately, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here. It this case it just looks like one of those people who doesn't have any friends and usually by reading their posts it pretty obvious why.

SMS: I think it's a case of the poster having very little self worth, and that his identity is so strongly linked to the achievements of his government (which are undoubtedly impressive) without whom he has no idea how to think, act or behave on his own.

Oh, sorry, welcome to the forum Roslan, it's a shame your xenophobic mindset can't let you see the light.

sms

And you're right, xenophobic is the exact word I thought of after reading his post... reminds me of this woman I had a "discussion" with regarding Singapore food... apparently hawker fare is the best cuisine in the world!

[quote]

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:51 am

Morenangpinay wrote
well quasimodo that was a racial slur. If you tell that infront of a whole bunch of Filipinos I can assure you you'd be condemned.
So you also believe that Filipino is a race? Oh dear . . . as for being condemned by Filipinos . . . well, lots of them still love Marcos and Estrada - shows you how capable of differentiating between fact and fiction 'they' are.

Morenangpinay wrote
no its not only the FDW its the Overseas Filipino Workers who contribute to the economy. Not just domestic workers.
Yes, I did mention that when it was brought up. Do you read?

Morenangpinay wrote
Who told you that Flor Contemplacion was guilty?
you actually believe this is 100 percent true?
My neighbours dog. Oh, hang on . . . it was the pool cleaner . . . No, no . . . it may have been news reports that stated that she had not retracted or altered her confession in app. four years prior to the execution (Oh, I am anti- the death penalty, so do think it was wrong)

Morenangpinay wrote
Singapore will not risk another Flor Contemplacion anymore. it affected the trade relations.
No, it didn't. It affected diplomatic relations in a knee-jerk reaction by the Philippine government to garner local public support and pandering to the lowest common denominator in their society. Politicising this crime speaks volumes about the Philippine mentality . . . that you also swallow this propaganda shows that not even 'educated' Filipinos can think on their own without nationalist fervour.

Vink wrote:
Everytime a filipino OFW gets jailed or convicted to be hanged in another country, it will always be politicized in the Philippines. And the politicians will always do what they can to appease the public in order to get more votes come election time. Regardless if the convicted OFW is guilty or not.
Not untrue . . .

My favourite:
Morenangpinay wrote
yes we do have death penalty although it is rarely used due to the influence of Catholic churches
Yes, this is the same Catholic church that lives in glorious wealth while a large proportion of the society lives in abject poverty, reduced to digging up garbage dumps to fed theimselves . . . parents who, at the age of 15 or 16 have several children because the mighty boy-buggering Catholic Church rejects the use of contraception . . .

ImageImage Applause for the powers that be! ImageImage
One in the hand is worth two of something

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 1:11 pm

Quasimodo wrote: Get off your PC-friggin' high horse, mate. Nothing wrong with being a maid, unless you're the arrogant prat who looks down on them.

I'm sure my 99% statement was incorrect . . . but would you care to refute that it is a vast majority?
Yes, the 99% statement is incorrect. Thanks for admitting that it's incorrect. :) According to the 2006 Survey on Overseas Filipinos: "OFWs who were laborers or unskilled workers, that is, domestic helpers, cleaners and manufacturing laborers comprised 35.1 percent of the total OFWs." Source: http://www.census.gov.ph/data/pressrele ... f06tx.html

Based on the survey, out of 100 OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers), 2.7 are "Officials of government and special-interest organizations, corporate executives, managers, managing proprietors and supervisors" and 8.6 are "Professionals." Source: http://www.census.gov.ph/data/sectordat ... of0601.htm

So Quasimodo, just be careful with making sweeping generalizations without checking facts. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 4:19 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
So Quasimodo, just be careful with making sweeping generalizations without checking facts.
Yes, ma'am. :)
One in the hand is worth two of something

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:14 pm

because that's all they are capable of?

so that it's easier for we who don't to ignore those who do?

most times it's those doing that don't have much of anything interesting to contribute

consider it 'internet Darwinism'
patsy_sg wrote:why do people like to TYPE in text speak???? arrghhhh

Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:24 pm

extremely annoying isn't it? it's not as if they're charged per letter

I wonder how business communication will be in the future when the teens of today start working and write in text speak?

"R U able 2 sgn cntrct by dis fri?"

scary thought!