Singapore Expats

EP and I

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Tribble

EP and I

Post by Tribble » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:16 am

I came to Singapore about three weeks ago because my GF is here working. She would really like for me to stay here with her.

I went looking for work and have an offer already from an MNC, the wage is only $2,550SG a month but it also means I MUST have an E-Pass to work here. (S-Pass = $1,800 - $2,500)

The problem I am most concerned with is that I do not hold any formal qualifications such as a Degree or Training Certificate.

Would my experience in the field I am working in that also requires for
a native English speaker and that the wage offered is reasonable for SG help in any way?

Does anyone know of someone that was granted an E-Pass without formal
Education/Qualifications?

Regards,

Tribble.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 7:16 am

In recent years? I'm not aware of any (at least on anecdotal evidence). Unless you are talking about a P1 EP where income is the only factor (the government feels that if a company is willing to pay a minimum 7K/mo then you are bringing good experience to the table. Otherwise, you have to have the minimum paper qualifications. Why hire somebody from overseas when there are plenty here with paper qualifications and are citizens/PRs already?

Don't mean to sound negative, but thems the facts.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:10 pm

2550 Is pretty normal! You can but apply see what happens. you have nothing to lose only your time.

If you have been cohabiting before she arrived here, you may want to seek dependant pass, providing you can document living together. The best would be to ask those in charge, to get a valid up to date response.

Tribble

Post by Tribble » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:55 pm

I guess my employer feels that I should be able to attain the pass or they would not have offered me the contract.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:17 pm

Tribble wrote:I guess my employer feels that I should be able to attain the pass or they would not have offered me the contract.
This doesn't indicate anything. Employers always just give it a try. Keep in mind that IT SEEMS that recently things change and EPs are not so easy to come by any more.

In the end there is only one way to find out: apply.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:26 pm

Employers don't have a clue. They just take the info and bang it into the online application and hope for the best. If accepted, you got a job, if not, they try the next application. It up to the Employer TO CONVINCE MOM as to why they need to hire a foreigner instead of a citizen or PR. They have to write an explanation as to why they should be allowed to. Doesn't always happen and it's not happening a lot more in the past 6 months.

You buys your ticket and you takes your chances.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 1:02 am

its better if you make a good cover letter signed by the employer attach it to the application. you have to reason out why they need you..explain your skills..talents.. and yrs of experience. give every reason you can think of lol...

its also better to apply manually than online....alot of the online applications get rejected...i dont really know why. if you get rejected write an appeal. but hope for the best

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 9:45 am

He cannot write an appeal. The employer has to write the appeal.

Oh, it's not better to apply manually. The employer has too much to do to go down and make the application. That's why everything is being done electronically. To give you a good for instance, IRAS tells up up front, when filing an IR21 for tax clearance, it will take 30 days if filed manually, but if it is done online the clearance will be given in 14 days OR LESS.

starbucke

Re: EP and I

Post by starbucke » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:41 pm

"S" pass should fit you fine. Is okie to hold an "S" Pass with a S$2500 salary :)

Tribble wrote:I came to Singapore about three weeks ago because my GF is here working. She would really like for me to stay here with her.

I went looking for work and have an offer already from an MNC, the wage is only $2,550SG a month but it also means I MUST have an E-Pass to work here. (S-Pass = $1,800 - $2,500)

The problem I am most concerned with is that I do not hold any formal qualifications such as a Degree or Training Certificate.

Would my experience in the field I am working in that also requires for
a native English speaker and that the wage offered is reasonable for SG help in any way?

Does anyone know of someone that was granted an E-Pass without formal
Education/Qualifications?

Regards,

Tribble.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 5:40 pm

starbucke is correct. Don't worry about the EP. However, if you do not have any qualifications you may still have a problem. I suggest that you go to this link:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... ligibility

and click on the S Pass Eligibility Tool and see if it will come up positive.

Tribble

Post by Tribble » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 7:35 pm

My employer submitted a request for both an E and S pass on the 17th on June, an in-princible approval letter was issued on the 22nd on June for an S-Pass :)

I was overseas visiting the Philippines when it was granted as I thought it would take two weeks, I will be picking up my card on the 7th July after supplying WPSC the final documents.

I think what really did it for me was the role I applied for could only be filled by an Australian (It was a requirement for the role) thus no local could have filled the position.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 7:20 am

An Australian? As in currently holding Australian citizenship? Or formerly held Australian citizenship? So if the person applying for the job had been formerly a Singaporean who migrated to Perth or Sydney and took up citizenship then they could have applied for the job? If the position's requirement were that strict, then it should have paid at least a P2 set of wages along with suitable housing allowances.

Or, was it like a lot of new Australian Engineers, in recent years, who get jobs up here because they place no value on themselves and will work for peanuts therefore destroying the job market for other expats? As you settled for an "S" pass, it's no need to reply as we already know the answer. Lot's of companies here like to hire a cheap expat and it's gives the company face to have an Ang Mo for window dressing. Hopefully, your lack of self-worth will not hamstring you in the future as someone without negotiating power.

Good Luck.