Singapore Expats

desperately need legal advice

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
av

desperately need legal advice

Post by av » Sat, 23 May 2009 6:34 am

Hi

I need to know abt some legal matters regarding separation.

My (worse) half had/ is having an extra-marital affair aftr 15 yrs of marriage. v hv 2 kids. One day he just took all his stuff n walked out. V married in India. Aftr many arguments he now gives some money for our daily expenses.

I was working earlier but by mutual agreement decided to become a stay-at-home mom. Now aftr a gap of so many years it is not easy to get a job.

What i want to know is is HE not bound by law to pay for the up-keep of our maintenence ? Can he pay only the amt he wishes to and not what we normally used for the daily expenses ?

What abt the responsibilities of a "father" ? He has run away frm everything and is just enjoying life.

Can anyone give any sensible soln to this issue please ?

He has become a citizen. Me n kids are PR. When PR expires what happens to us ?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 23 May 2009 10:08 am

For legal advice, you need to talk to a lawyer, not a forum of random strangers giving out random advice.

But PR is, as the name says, permanent residence -- it does not expire. (Re-entry permits do, but renewing them is rarely a problem.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

av

Post by av » Sat, 23 May 2009 10:28 am

understood. If i had that sort of money i wld hv gone to a lawyer long back.

PR can be renewed only if the guy does not divorce me.

Now as per the law here, he can divorce me wthout my consent after living separate for 4 yrs. Thats when what happens to my PR status ?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 26 May 2009 9:55 pm

i think the singapore law society has free clinics. check out their website.

use google.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 27 May 2009 10:31 am

av wrote:PR can be renewed only if the guy does not divorce me.

Now as per the law here, he can divorce me wthout my consent after living separate for 4 yrs. Thats when what happens to my PR status ?
Once more -- PR does not expire, only re-entry permits do. You can stay in Singapore forever on PR... you just can't leave and come back without a REP.

av

Post by av » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 4:09 am

well, thanx all for the suggesions. Have been meeting up with someone at AWARE. the rule is that if the hubby decides to divorce, then PR automatically gets cancelled n v hv to leave this place. :???: :shock:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:48 am

av wrote:well, thanx all for the suggesions. Have been meeting up with someone at AWARE. the rule is that if the hubby decides to divorce, then PR automatically gets cancelled n v hv to leave this place. :???: :shock:
Whah? Are you sure the someone isn't talking about SVPs or something? I was not aware that PR is ever cancelled, usually Singapore just doesn't renew your re-entry permit if they don't want you here anymore. Have you confirmed with the ICA that this is really the case?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:06 am

Actually I remember reading a case about that once before. I believe she might be right as once the link for PR has be dissolved there is nothing to support the PR anymore. In her case it's family ties and not skilled/technical by which she received her PR. She was probably not qualified in any other way.

The case I remember a number of years ago was a Maritime Marine Ship Capt who was divorced (he was the PR)and was he forced to give up the HDB flat and also lost his PR as well. Sucks. I remember it distinctly as my wife and I had a discussion about it because it leaves PRs here on family ties at the mercy of our local wives if you think about it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

av

Post by av » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 3:08 am

yes, it is definitely so, says the lawyer.

he has offered advice - as i have worked here in an MNC before (the kids were born), i could try n get a job (which is not easy as i hv a gap of many years) or i could change my line by upgrading my skills n get a job, n apply for citizenship.

once i get a job, then it will not be compulsory for the husband to pay for the maintenance anymore...i will definitely not be able to afford the int'l school fees, rent...a job after so many years gap will not pay that much

i shld send the kids for NS so that they automatically get the privilege to become citizens - make them citizens.

well, my relatives, friends who can really help in need are all back home in my country - here there is nobody...except the husband

wondering what can be the best option for the kids n their future :???:

av

Post by av » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 3:10 am

i am little outdated here...n brain is probably too dazed n rusted...

what is ICA, SVP ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 6:54 am

ICA: Immigration & Checkpoint Authority

SVP: Social Visit Pass
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

antivirus08

Post by antivirus08 » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ICA: Immigration & Checkpoint Authority

sunday. no every sunday ! everytimes where someone needs help, plse kindly point out the solution to solve the problem ...... !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 1:21 pm

antivirus08 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:ICA: Immigration & Checkpoint Authority

sunday. no every sunday ! everytimes where someone needs help, plse kindly point out the solution to solve the problem ...... !
What is your problem? :???:

The poster asked what SVP and ICA stood for. Nothing more. Get your head out the that dark place where the sun never shines.

av

Post by av » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 5:36 pm

i just thot i was starting to get on with life after all the depression and tension, and now the "disgusting half" has threatened and given an ultimatum.

He says he wants to shift back in with me and my kids or else I leave spore and go to my own country. He cannot afford maintenance for us.

this guy is driving me nuts. i think i am better off without him any day.... :x :mad: