Singapore Expats

I want to renounce

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
aozora1988

I want to renounce

Post by aozora1988 » Fri, 15 May 2009 10:35 pm

21 yo this year, local ... will be deferred till 22~23 till I complete my diploma course in polytechnic.

Don't wanna waste anymore time to NS in SG, I'm not happy here ... everything else I can start from scratch

Willing to risk everything for a shorter & better route (while I'm young) than whining and regret later. I have little or no regard about coming back to singapore, please advise!
Last edited by aozora1988 on Sat, 16 May 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sat, 16 May 2009 8:41 am

With the economy down and a low education level this may be hard. Have you considered going to Malaysia, Indonesia or Brunei. That said if you go and you don't do it legally you may never be able to come back without facing the consequences.
Be Like Water

aozora1988

Re: I want to renounce

Post by aozora1988 » Sat, 16 May 2009 11:08 am

So is there any legal way to renounce & leave or do I have no choice but to leave illegally? Because I'm 21 and I've deferred once

I must choose between getting a master degree out there at 24 YO or getting just a degree here at 29 YO ...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 16 May 2009 11:12 am

aozora1988 wrote:21 yo this year, local ... will be deferred till 22~23 till I complete my diploma course in polytechnic.

Don't wanna waste anymore time to NS in SG, I'm not happy here ... everything else I can start from scratch

Willing to risk everything for a shorter & better route (while I'm young) than whining about how bad Singapore/PAP is like those uncles in coffeeshops. I have little or no regard about coming back to singapore, please advise!
is your problem with NS (and future reservist duties) or the country or the government or... what?

you may not like pap, but it doesn't mean you can't make a good living/good life while being a singaporean...

i presume you want to renounce your singapore citizenship - what other citizenship do you hold?

that might help people here give you their 2c on what you can do...

from what you typed, i think you've not even thought this through properly, so you probably don't know what you're in for.

aozora1988

Post by aozora1988 » Sat, 16 May 2009 11:22 am

taxico, I don't like the education and ns here ... I think it's unreasonable for me to go ITE for 3 years, then now I'm in poly basically learning many of the same stuff all over again ... and I know if I go into local university there will be much repetitions too plus wasting another 2 years of my time doing NS, I feel that I'm treated like machines needed to work and doing the same thing all over again.

Singapore government only need elites, I'm not and I shouldn't waste my time here like many others because no matter how hard I worked "they still think" I'm no good ... I seriously think the Singapore government doesn't care about part of our population that go to ITE and their furthur education prospect. If they really cared, they should really think of how much time we spend to study all these repetitions and minimize our syllabus instead of making it worse and then make us do NS finally.

What I wrote may be deviant, and rebellious but really I don't blame SG or anyone for it ... I only blame myself for not being an elite.

I don't have any other citizenship but I supposed I can always get one that's easy to get first & go to UK to study for a degree ... I'll end my studies @ 24~25YO in UK late rather than 29~30YO here locally.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 16 May 2009 11:49 am

aozora1988 wrote:taxico, I don't like the education and ns here ... I think it's unreasonable for me to go ITE for 3 years, then now I'm in poly basically learning many of the same crap all over again ... and I know if I go into local university I'll be doing the same thing too. I'll waste another 2 bloody years of my time doing NS, I feel that I'm not being treated right.

Singapore government only need elites, I'm not and I don't have anymore time to waste here like other people here ... I seriously think the Singapore government doesn't care about part of our population that go to ITE and their furthur education prospect.

I don't have any other citizenship but I supposed I can always get one that's easy to get first & go to UK to study for a degree ... I'll end my studies @ 24~25YO in UK late rather than 29~30YO here locally.
i cannot judge if it is right/wrong for you to go to ITE, then polytechnic, then university for your education. i'm sure there's a reason why you had to take the route you have...

don't take this the wrong way - but if you did not go to ITE and went instead to JC, do you think you could have coped with the non-vocational curriculum? be honest with yourself now.

i cannot judge if how you feel you/elites are being treated is fair or unfair. but i'm sure you would have made it to university a lot earlier if you could handle it (knowing the singapore education system).

not everybody makes it to university, and not everyone is suited for graduate degrees. HOWEVER, it doesn't imply that someone with only a high school diploma/O's/GED/poly diploma/etc is useless or have less potential than someone with a PhD.

if you want to leave singapore because of higher education (we'll leave NS out of the picture for now), and you're not able to cope with the demands of school overseas, your foreign student visa will be canceled! either that or you'll be perpetually "undeclared" and taking 100/200-level classes - uni will suck you dry!

also, are you able to obtain sufficient funds to survive for extended periods of time in a foreign place? (especially when you might have to live the life of an illegal alien if you just up'ed and left singapore)

why? well, to obtain a foreign visa, you need a valid passport.

assuming you have a 10 year singapore passport that was issued around 2005 (i can't be sure when they stopped issuing 10 year passports, but i am sure it was around mid 2000s), you will definitely need to renew your singapore passport before you become a citizen elsewhere as it usually takes more than 5 years.

if you don't complete your NS, do you think your singapore passport will be renewed?

in your situation, i don't think you can obtain residency (which is the usual path to citizenship) without it.

i am not sure how you can get citizenship elsewhere in super quick time without a substantial amount of money.

but i am sure if you had that sort of money, you won't be posting in this forum.

residency aside; if you don't have a valid passport, do you think you can cope with being an illegal alien overseas? i don't think you can ever imagine the ghastly consequences.

i hate to break this to you, but you need to suck it up, work hard in poly so you can get credit exemptions (and perhaps a scholarship) during university, complete your NS before your bachelor's degree, head on to university, and then decide how you are to fund your graduate studies.

at that time, you're in better shape to plan towards obtaining your foreign citizenship.

age is just a number. if you don't like singapore then stop thinking like a singaporean: don't let time be a excuse for what you think you are capable of achieving.

you need to boost your own self-esteem and confidence and national service will help with both!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 16 May 2009 11:59 am

i forgot to mention: no, there is no way for you to legally renounce your citizenship BEFORE serving NS.

you might want to trawl through this sub-forum and have a read on other people's experiences and problems.

so i guess if you leave before serving NS, you will have much to deal with in future...

i hope you're prepared for the consequence and do plenty of planning before you jump ship.

aozora1988

Post by aozora1988 » Mon, 18 May 2009 7:34 am

hmm but I read that once I'm 21 that I am free to renounce

even though I know of the consequences that comes with it ... furthur explained by your posts

I would still love to go against it at any given time

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 18 May 2009 11:40 am

aozora1988 wrote:hmm but I read that once I'm 21 that I am free to renounce
You read wrong.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 May 2009 11:58 am

You should have finished reading the sentence as it continues like this:

.....free to renounce provided National Service has been done.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Mon, 18 May 2009 7:49 pm

as long as you fully know the consequences of what you want to do and can live with those then I say do it. You wouldn't be the first person to leave their homeland and never go back, of course you may want to know where your going and what you will do their and all that but dont let fear of the future stop you from following your heart, head or conscience for that matter.

Just remember that at 21 we are all/were feeling our oats and ready to bust out and can sometimes end up making choices that come back later if we dont think them through so make sure you know what your getting into. If your cool with that then i say go do it.

Judging from what I read on this forum, more than one SGPer is not to thrilled with NS and I think the Govt knows this as which is why it makes getting out of NS so damm hard but some people are just opposed to it.

of course if its just coz you dont want to do 2 years then its not the best reason, it may be killing time but then its up to you to make the best of that time if you know its going to be like that, lots of crappy jobs out there where you have t kill time as well so keep it in mind.

but again if you know the consequences fully then you can make an informed deciscion and either way you will live with it. you might stay and do your two years and regret it ever after for not taking the chance and going or you might go now and regret not being able to come back etc.

I say make the choice, live with it and dont have any regrets, be strong enough to live with your choice, dont be afraid to make a hard choice if you know the costs, one of the scare tactics that you hear in Singapore is not being able to come back, but JB is just across the water and your family can always come across if you really wanna see them if you come back and like the kid who leaves the proverbial small town for the big city that may be you coz at the end of it Singapore is just like a small town, safe and everyone knows you but also constricting and quiet ( i was going to say dull but anyone can always make their own noise if need be)
Poking, poking everywhere...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 May 2009 8:48 pm

even though I know of the consequences that comes with it ... furthur explained by your posts

I would still love to go against it at any given time
If you don't have an alternate citizenship available to you, what are you going to do?

You've got to have a country... just ask those that don't. So, if you cannot get legal status somewhere, either as a permanent resident or citizen you put yourself at high risk if you renounce.

Consider: You renounce and go to Malaysia. Malaysia decides to not renew your visa/whatever. They will deport you... to where else? Singapore, because you may renounce but the government won't see it that way.

And where else will you go? Which other country will accept you. Think about this long and hard.

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Post by TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 2:20 am

aozora1988 wrote:21 yo this year, local ... will be deferred till 22~23 till I complete my diploma course in polytechnic.

Willing to risk everything for a shorter & better route (while I'm young) than whining and regret later. I have little or no regard about coming back to singapore, please advise!
Try moving to the northwest frontier of pakistan or Albania. MAYBE you would appreciate Sg a lil more after a week there. GROW UP! :evil: