Singapore Expats

Plug Socket with Timer

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
louy
Chatter
Chatter

Plug Socket with Timer

Post by louy » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:02 am

I remember when I was a boy, you could by time adapters for your plug socket. These were plugged into the plug socket and then you can plug your appliance into that. There would be a timing function that would either switch off or switch on at pre-set times.

Think back in the 80's these were very popular.

I want one of these socket adapters now. I want one for my air conditioning unit which plugs into the wall.

I would like my air con to switch off after say 4 hours, and to save me getting out of bed and switching it off at 3 AM in the morning.

Anyone know if they still makes these ? Do they make them for the unconventional plug sockets used by air con units (The three fat round pin ) and also where one my go to purchase on of these ??

Your feedback and comments would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

louy

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:48 am

I know the timers you mean. I'm sure they are available here. I'd try the mall style hardware shops first ( homefix etc) failing which a hunt in china town or little India.
BUT
I have never seen the round pin type timer. I'm intrigued you have this kind of socket in the bed room. Typically these plugs/ sockets are for higher amperage kitchen use ( ovens etc) . Standard plugs are 16 amps with the plug itself fused at 13 amps. This would indicate your AC is quite a hefty unit.

I'll keep my eyes open and report back if i see anything

Good luck

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Plug Socket with Timer

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 May 2009 11:13 am

louy wrote:I remember when I was a boy, you could by time adapters for your plug socket. These were plugged into the plug socket and then you can plug your appliance into that. There would be a timing function that would either switch off or switch on at pre-set times.

I want one of these socket adapters now. I want one for my air conditioning unit which plugs into the wall.

I would like my air con to switch off after say 4 hours, and to save me getting out of bed and switching it off at 3 AM in the morning.

Anyone know if they still makes these ? Do they make them for the unconventional plug sockets used by air con units (The three fat round pin ) and also where one my go to purchase on of these ??

Kind Regards

louy
The round plugs are for high amperage devices and I doubt seriously you will find any kind of timer for them at any DIY, Mustafa's or the like.

You can go to Sim Lim Tower 3rd floor and up and there are a number of commercial power and gizmo companies in the building. In particular I recall one firm pretty much at the top of the escalator that carries all sorts of power control switches, lights, boxes, etc. They may be able to help you.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 13 May 2009 12:00 pm

a (qualified) electrician can install it for you but it won't be a plugin/plugout device, but mounted on by-pass type.

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 13 May 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a big ampage socket in the bedroom probably because the air con unit needs so much power.

Doubt I will get an electrician to install it. Its not my own place and do not want too much expense regarding the landlords own fixtures and fittings.

I will venture down to Simlim and have a look.

Please let me know if you guys come across anything useful.

Regards
Louy

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 May 2009 2:17 pm

That's Sim Lim Tower, not Sim Lim Square... caddy corner.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Plug Socket with Timer

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 13 May 2009 6:07 pm

louy wrote:I remember when I was a boy, you could by time adapters for your plug socket. These were plugged into the plug socket and then you can plug your appliance into that. There would be a timing function that would either switch off or switch on at pre-set times.

Kind Regards

louy
You can also get them in the DIY shops.
I saw one at the IMM mall @ JE ..think it was 15+ bucks by company called Powerpac.

Cheers.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 17 May 2009 3:42 pm

Just seen these at the DIY store upstairs at Parkway Parade opposite Giant

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 1:49 pm

I was looking for the ones for the big fat round 3 pin plugs and not the usual small square rectangular 3 pin plugs.

Still not found one.

The girlfriends dad said that these are not available because they are dangerous.

Now the last thing I want when the appartment goes up in flames and I burn the block to the ground is to have him on the phone saying 'I told you so'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 3:34 pm

I don't believe you will find one as they won't be certified here. They are dangerous as the plugs & sockets are for High Amperages. The only safe way is by electrician and proper wiring all the way back to a fuse box to ensure the mains fuse can also handle the loads. This is especially true in older HDB units. The way costs are cut in building of condo's it wouldn't surprise me if they are under fused for today electrical world.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 7:45 pm

louy wrote:Still not found one.
like i said in an earlier reply, you need to check in with an electrician.

you won't find a plug in/out device for what you're after.

a portable air-conditioner might be a better way to go, and retains some value for resale.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 7:48 pm

Actually I am somewhat surprised that a bedroom air con would pull enough current to require a high amp plug. Can you check the wattage and or amp rating of your air con?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:59 pm

SE, Generally they don't if you have less than 8K btu. I have a pair of the old Mitsubishi vertical cassette types that fit in sliding windows. They are 6,500 btu and are 13 amp and are plugged accordingly but anything bigger will generally require the larger 15 Amp Type M or D they might run on a standard G type 13 Amp Plug but if something shorts out or the heat/humidity is too high, the load will be right at maximum at all times thereby being rather dangerous (even though the plugs are fused) and could either cause the plug, or receptacle to melt or catch fire.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers