Singapore Expats Forum

Whats about?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

nicjim

Whats about?

Postby nicjim » Mon, 11 May 2009 4:15 am

Hi, could anyone tell me whats around the Chancery Lane/ Thompson Road area.
I am aware that it is close to Velocity.
My partner has recently moved into a house there and my daughter and i will be joining him in July.
I want him to go and explore a little so we have a better idea of where to go and what to do? Are there many expats in this area? Any places that we could go to meet people? Any information i could pass on to him at this stage?

Thanks
Nic

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Whats about?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 9:12 am

nicjim wrote:Hi, could anyone tell me whats around the Chancery Lane/ Thompson Road area.
I am aware that it is close to Velocity. As noted, Velocity also Goldhill Plaza & Goldhill Square diagonally across the intersection. Also behind Velocity is Tan Tock Sing Hospital.
My partner has recently moved into a house there and my daughter and i will be joining him in July.
I want him to go and explore a little so we have a better idea of where to go and what to do? Are there many expats in this area? Yes. Any places that we could go to meet people? Any of the various eateries in Velocity. Any information i could pass on to him at this stage?
There may be other facilities there but I've not been in there for a while now.

Thanks
Nic

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 10:31 am

there's plenty to eat along thomson road (one end of chancery lane).

there's a catholic church (novena church) and a 7th day adventist church too. beside goldhill is UE square i think, an interesting place for kids and nice family restaurants.

there's a hotel (royal) a block away from goldhill, and further down the road (towards the city) is newton food centre. you'll come across a protestant church along the way. i'm not sure what sort.

coming back to goldhill, if you continued walking past UE square you may come across a hidden play/pre school and eventually find a ginormous public women's and children's hospital (KK hospital) shaped not like a building.

if you took a right after the hospital, you'll end up at barker road, which is at the other end of chancery lane.

a left takes you to little india or into the business/commercial end of the city.

back at velocity, the novena train station's below novena square (which is attached to velocity), and there's a private medical centre behind them. and a public hospital (TTS hospital) behind that private medical centre.

in the direction away from the city, thomson road leads to upper thomson road and you'll find more food places, another kid-friendly shopping mall with a women's gym (Thomson Plaza), and pet stores.

along the way you'll also see a physiotherapists' clinic, a temporary high school (can't remember what it is), a police academy, a polo club, a giant area dedicated to nurseries/gardening needs, 2 old aged homes, a vacant social club, dental/medical clinics, an expensive bicycle shop, blah blah.

you will also find MacRitchie reservoir, which is an awesome place for walks, so long as you don't encroach onto the adjacent golf course and get injured (FORE!) by stray balls.

opposite the reservoir is a private hospital (mt alvernia hospital), a hospice and very few parking lots.

okay, going back to chancery lane... again.

on the other "end" of chancery lane is barker road. you'll find a big methodist church attached to a boys' (ACS) school, and a 24hr grocery store beside it (be sure to claim your parking fee if you drove there to shop).

if you cross the street to balmoral road, you'll go past a little building with shops/restaurants (balmoral plaza). trudge on some more and you'll eventually see a girls' (raffles) school.

at that point you've hit stevens road.

if you took a left at that intersection, you'll get to a crazy junction just outside goodwood hotel.

a left at that point (onto scotts road) will eventually bring you back to velocity (passing by newton food center, newton train station and a pre/play-school along the way).

a right takes you into the city: more food, more shopping but is less kid/human/car friendly on weekends. this is the shopping end of the city.

back to barker road - if you took a left, you'll come by a vintage car dealer (sweeeet) and eventually reach the aforementioned ginormous women's hospital.

if you took a right, you'll eventually come across another girls' (SCGS) school, a social club (RTC) opposite it, a little park (malcolm park) and a non-24hr police post beside it, on whitley/malcolm road.

near the police post are 2 pet hospitals and a boys' school (SJI). beside the post is a community center (tanglin) where you can find some classes/courses that may interest you.

if you walk/drive some more (along the expressway), you'll eventually get back to the above-mentioned polo club and police academy along thomson road (eventually bringing you back to chancery lane).

it's a nice location and my wife enjoys living there. i see plenty of expats in the area whenever i'm there. good place for walks/cycling as it's a sprawling mass of private residences.

as a friendly note: if your family has a need for after-hours/emergency medical care, head for mt alvernia hospital.

despite being farther away than TTS/KK hospitals, service is faster, cheaper and they have nicer staff. they also have a full after-hours pharmacy and an equally good facility.
Last edited by taxico on Mon, 11 May 2009 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 10:36 am

when i have

1) too much time at night

2) gas-filled go-ped

3) too many naps in the day

i get to explore and know the place like the back of my hand!!!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 11 May 2009 11:04 am

Random stuff in the neighborhood:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Singapore/Balestier

The Burmese Temple is high up on my list of "cool things in Singapore ignored by all guidebooks" (except mine, of course :cool: )
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

nicjim

Postby nicjim » Mon, 11 May 2009 9:40 pm

:shock: WOW!!
Thanks for that. Loads of information there for me to pass on and have a look myself when i get there!
Thanks again everyone!