Singapore Expats

Do Singaporeans really have the highest IQ in the world?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
kosmopolitan

Do Singaporeans really have the highest IQ in the world?

Post by kosmopolitan » Sun, 10 May 2009 11:18 am

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_Global_Inequality

or simply search keywords, "IQ Global Inequality" @wikipedia

Country/Region Ave IQ (2006)

Hong Kong 108
Singapore 108
North Korea 106
South Korea 106
Japan 105
China 105
Taiwan 105
Italy 102
Iceland 101
Mongolia 101
Switzerland 101
Austria 100
Luxembourg 100
Netherlands 100
Norway 100
United Kingdom 100
Belgium 99
Canada 99
Estonia 99
Finland 99
Germany 99
New Zealand 99
Poland 99
Sweden 99
Andorra 98
Australia 98
Czech Republic 98
Denmark 98
France 98
Hungary 98
Latvia 98
Spain 98
United States 98
Belarus 97
Malta 97
Russia 97
Ukraine 97
Moldova 96
Slovakia 96
Uruguay 96
Israel 95

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 May 2009 1:52 pm

Newbie with a first post like this? Wind-up time (even has as local ISP). But I'll play a while....

You would have done well to read the entire article rather than just the title:

[quote]Hunt and Wittmann (2008) write of Lynn’s IQ data:

The majority of the data points were based upon convenience rather than representative samples. Some points were not even based on residents of the country. For instance, the “data point for Suriname was based on tests given to Surinamese who had migrated to the Netherlands, and the “data point”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kosmopolitan

Post by kosmopolitan » Sun, 10 May 2009 9:17 pm

SMS,

Did I overlook some rituals that newbies have to perform, before being granted permission to share an interesting article? Oh, you mean I must be "an expat who does not reside in Singapore" (what an oxymoron) before I can post in this forum?....mmm...interesting forum rules you've got there.

You quoted, "Hunt and Wittmann (2008) write of Lynn’s IQ data:"

.......Why are you so defensive? Just because your homeland didn't fare too well in that IQ ranking above?

Let me just add that Lynn's work is the most comprehensive and thorough scientific work done on this topic to date. It's actually quite a feat that only Lynn's work is given special mention under that topic at wikipedia (yes, it is an encyclopedia in a way) which is not your usual spiderman comics.

Also, the results are even consistent with (and thus backed by) studies of human brain size measurements which decrease in this manner:

1) Orientals (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
2) Whites
3) Blacks

I am not kidding, it's mentioned here (and yes, you guessed it right, it's wiki bible again): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniometry
ALternatively, search keyword, "craniometry" @wikipedia.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear from you again with a reply like, "Hunt & Wittmann (2008) pointed out that the extra cranial space in east asians are in fact air mixed with detergent...."

You said, "But aside from that, the problem with using IQ alone (assuming they didn't use just those local students going to western universities) is that it doesn't take into count common sense and EQ. Throw those two into the equation and you will see it dragged down to the level with the nation's fertility rate."

........Wow! Sounds like you really hate Singaporeans don't you? Anyway, the original topic is about IQ, why bring in EQ and common sense to degrade Singaporeans? Shall we further derail and include frequency of farting or SQ (Spiritual Quotient if there's such a thing) too?

In any case, however you wanna write a counter thesis on this, it doesn't change the fact that wikipedia reported higher IQ and larger brain mass in east asians. Sorry, you might not like it but that's how it is, mate.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 May 2009 9:37 pm

Is your eyesight bad? I only ask as you have posted in a very large font. That's rather rude don't you think?

As far as you post is concerned, most people post here when they are looking for information. That's what this forum is all about. It rare someone posts here just to cut & past data from the wikipedia, especially on their initial post. Usually, those types are just looking for a wind-up. And, judging by your response, That's just what you were doing. Most "sharing of articles" is usually done in answer to somebody's query. Not somebody baiting like you are doing.

So, no. Not a ritual. But most types are easily recognizable.

My quote was from your article. If you find something wrong with it, then take it up with the writer, not me. If you are going to reference an article you should make sure the whole article agrees with the baiting you are trying to do. Otherwise, you just get hoist by your own petard like in this case. You got so frustrated you even had to vent your frustration by typing in large fonts. :P

You have to get up earlier in the morning....... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rluk

Post by rluk » Sun, 10 May 2009 9:57 pm

It’s on wikipedia so it must be true……

Can I point out that it doesn’t really make sense to harass someone about their homeland having an average IQ lower than their country of residence. If fact, they may even claim partial credit for this state of affairs. Reminds me of the old joke that New Zealand migration to Australia raises the IQ of both countries.

kosmopolitan

Post by kosmopolitan » Sun, 10 May 2009 10:27 pm

SMS,

You said, "Is your eyesight bad? I only ask as you have posted in a very large font. That's rather rude don't you think? ...You got so frustrated you even had to vent your frustration by typing in large fonts."

....Wrong guess mate, it wasn't frustration. It's just that I don't want an important piece of information to be drowned by my long response.

You said, "If you are going to reference an article you should make sure the whole article agrees with the baiting you are trying to do. "

.....Well, you should also do yourself a favour by reading the article in its entirety including external links at the bottom, one of which (Lynns posting of a favorable review that characterizes the 006 work as a reply to criticisms of their earlier results) brings you to this....

http://www.rlynn.co.uk/pages/Richard-Ly ... uality.asp

rluk,

You are correct that I was very direct and blunt but there again, I noticed that's exactly how many people behave in this forum anyway, so I think I will blend in well, wouldn't I?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 12:03 am

What important piece of information? :???:

Oh, it's pretty obvious that you're not a Singaporean then...... :P

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 11:27 am

most people with high IQs that i've met are really weird.

does this explain why singaporeans are... the way they are?

*twitch*

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 11 May 2009 11:54 am

kosmopolitan wrote:
I was very direct and blunt but there again, I noticed that's exactly how many people behave in this forum anyway, so I think I will blend in well, wouldn't I?
Why so angry?
taxico wrote:most people with high IQs that I've met are really weird.
Very true I can remember the ones at school, very odd real outcasts, maybe with all that time on their hands they sit in a corner reading how to improve your IQ books?

Sadly I heard one of the school egg heads committed suicide in his 30s, I wonder if there's any correlation with high IQ and high suicide rates?

Certainly seem to confirm high IQ means Low CS (common sense)
Last edited by QRM on Mon, 11 May 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 1:26 pm

QRM wrote:
Sadly I heard one of the school egg heads committed suicide in his 30s, I wonder if there's any correlation with high IQ and high suicide rates?
QRM, you may well be on to something if you think about it. Look at what happens in Japan and even here occasionally when kids don't do as well as they anticipated in their exams. They have this tendency to do swan dives off of buildings without benefit of parasail or bungy cord.

Reading the OP's writing style it would almost appear that it's our friend "Dealer" back again for round two. Wonder if he's changed from Gordon's to Tanqueray yet.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 11 May 2009 1:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
QRM wrote:
QRM, you may well be on to something if you think about it. Look at what happens in Japan and even here occasionally when kids don't do as well as they anticipated in their exams. They have this tendency to do swan dives off of buildings without benefit of parasail or bungy cord.

Reading the OP's writing style it would almost appear that it's our friend "Dealer" back again for round two. Wonder if he's changed from Gordon's to Tanqueray yet.
I have a hunch OP is also aka skppp? Same sort of wind up joke post. In both cases, it turns out he is not joking, the big give away, the strong smell of Kiasu, which for some no amount of overseas education can seem to wash off.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 5:19 pm

Actually, I believe you might be right! Good call. :wink:

kosmopolitan

Post by kosmopolitan » Mon, 11 May 2009 5:49 pm

bigfilsing said (in another thread),"You're obviously a Singaporean that doesn’t realize that without the expats you'd still be a kampong of Malaysia. You’ve managed to keep the mentality ....Well done"

bigfilsing also said (in the same other thread),"This is a place most of us love and has been made so by the expats . Without us you'd struggle to be Bintan ( at best) and JB ( at worst) Asia couldnl't organise a piss up in a brewery. Not my opinion just facts."

Bigfilsing (& other like-minded expats),

Let me reveal my true agenda for this thread, which is to highlight to all those (not all, but many) arrogant, nasty and condescending (towards Singaporeans) expats, that actually there are evidences that people of east asian origins, have in fact bigger brain mass and higher average IQ scores than caucasians (yes, I am making I believe, a correct assumption that many if not most of those arrogant expats here are Whites, and am thus currently addressing this post to them). I want this group of expats to know (if I may partially repeat for sake of cross examination) the following 3 consistent wikipedia facts, by hard for the rest of their lives.....

1)Ave IQ of East Asians (China, Japan, Korea) is 5 to 10 points more than that of Whites.
(Search keywords,"IQ Global Inequality"@wikipedia.)

2)East Asians have bigger brain mass than whites.
(Search "Craniometry"@wikipedia.)

3)Of all of recorded human history 2000yrs ago, for 3/4 of this period (except recently & now) China's the
A)most technologically advanced nation with the
B)highest GDP &
C)highest GDP/capita.
(Search "economic history of china"@wikipedia.)

It's thus obvious there is consistency among these 3 parameters: IQ, brain size, temporal length of economic/technological world leadership.

So, no, Asia in fact does have the genetics to build a world class high tech brewery where fine beer is recycled from piss, if it wants to, and when the time is right. As an example, you can wrap up a cool looking Ferrari all you want, but it never failed to amuse me why no one in the west has yet been able to design a car engine that is as fuel efficient as a Toyota engine......I believe IQ is implicated here. I think it won't be too long for China to rise once again and rule the world economically for another 1500years like it did before, provided other factors are ideal.

I have been monitoring this forum for the past 1 year, and it never fail to amaze me why it took your good Singaporean friend, WindInMyHair so long to quit (possibly for good) the forum. BTW If you think I am in anyway related to her, nice try.

And oh, I am not Skppp either….nice try. This is evident in due course below.

Let me set the record straight…This IS round one for me. I am not hiding in someone else’s skin. I don’t even know who the hell is “Dealer”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 6:26 pm

kosmopolitan wrote: I must admit I am surprised that moderators have so far neither banned me nor deleted any of my posts, even though I have not in anyway commited any offence spelled out in the regulations section. But even if I am not banned, depending on the situation, I may not respond further as I do not enjoy a soccer game of 10 to 1. However, I do find the need to start the soccer match in a non-home ground, even if it means not being able to challenge 10 men effectively alone, to end off victoriously. This is because I wanna be heard loud and clear, and most importantly, I wanna drive (which I did) 3 important (Yes, I beg to differ but it is important in this context to deal with certain condescending supremists) information from wikipedia permanently into your brains for the rest of your lives. That, like I said, is my ultimate agenda here.
Three important things........

1) Why would we delete your posts or ban you? You have not been using foul language or trying to incite any racial hatred. You have been voicing your opinion as is your right. Nobody can fault you for that. However, to use Wikipedia as a "work of reference" with it's constantly edited data that may or may not be correct depending on the individual's agenda who inserted the entry in the first place, is a bit strange to say the least. But, again, that is your right. I may not agree with you, but I will defend you right to voice your opinion as long as it doesn't breach the ethics of this board.

2) Having a high IQ and being able to apply it constructively are two different kettles of fish. IQ without EQ or common sense in any country is a rather useless commodity other than bragging rights in an academic setting. Being able to apply that IQ constructively is the problem. I am basically agreeing with your thrust, unfortunately, while maybe the potential is there as you have so harped about, the execution is missing. Mostly due to the diminished capacity of the other two necessary abilities.

3) And lastly, most of the expats here have been in other Asian Countries as well. If my reading of numerous boards throughout Asia are anything to go by, the "dissing" of locals here is more pronounced than in most other places with Malaysia following a close second. I can only guess at the reason for this. Could it be because of the local Kiasu mentality of a substantial number of the average Singaporean? This trait is more pronounced here than anywhere else in Asia. So for the global citizen, it is something of a rude awakening when they have been here for a while and come to realize what they have to deal with is more than just an occasional happenstance but a regular occurrence that starts daily just trying to get to work. Not even counting the rest of the day.

Oh, and just one last comment about your insistence on the "size" of the cranial cavity or "brain mass". Sounds like you have a typical case of penis envy to me. :P Remember this, "It's not what you've got, it's how you use it!" You would do well to remember the same goes for brain mass and IQ as well. :wink:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 11 May 2009 7:21 pm

kosmopolitan wrote: yes, ……I am in fact a Singaporean,
No way...
And welcome to the forum, its always good to get a locals point of view, I believe there are a large number of SGpers on here. I agree WIMH leaving was a great loss to the forum, she was like a shining beacon of everything that I like about Singapore, maybe you can replace her with your level headed and straight up views?

Why start off so angry? by doing so it just gives the impression that you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Its just the internet, like TV if you get upset by a program just turn it off. Do you really have sleepless nights over how big your cranial cavity is?

There are plenty of local forums that really rips into well endowed expats but I don't see any expats sitting on the sideline waiting for their big day to fly the Farang flag, they just shrug it off, piss off a duck back.

What you seem to miss or not notice in the forum, the more noise you makes the more it encourage others to poke the stick in, its like a game of bear baiting. The Christians figured it out years ago in the Colosseum, the crowds soon loose interest when you stay quiet while being eaten.

That recent post of the song by Metallica called "So What" is perfect, so what if the IQ is the highest, so what if Africans have the biggest Gonads, So what if Singaporeans cant drive. How do you expect to laugh with other people if you can't laugh at yourself?