Singapore Expats

mba in singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
aashwanth

mba in singapore

Post by aashwanth » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 1:01 am

hi everyone,
i am a B.Tech graduate from India with no experience. Currently planning to do MIB of greboble school of business, mdis.
1)How good is the program and what are the job prospects after graduation?
2)Is MIB better than MBA?
3) The college has said the course could be completed in 18-24 months for part time, how long will it take for full time?

aashwanth

Post by aashwanth » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 6:20 pm

if anyone from that course please help me

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Sun, 10 May 2009 11:26 am

If you want a school with a better reputation among employers, try:
NUS, NTU, SMU or SIM

Some employers still view MDIS as second-tier.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 9:29 am

there's also chicago gsb and INSEAD that offer MBAs... (if i'm not wrong!)

but i'm not sure if you'll get into any reputable MBA programs with no working experience.

why not work first, get some experience, save some money, before deciding what sort of post-grad course you wanna do?

i have no idea what MIB is.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 4:08 pm

Men in Black! What else! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lulu1234

Re: mba in singapore

Post by lulu1234 » Tue, 12 May 2009 9:46 am

aashwanth wrote:hi everyone,
i am a B.Tech graduate from India with no experience. Currently planning to do MIB of greboble school of business, mdis.
1)How good is the program and what are the job prospects after graduation?
2)Is MIB better than MBA?
3) The college has said the course could be completed in 18-24 months for part time, how long will it take for full time?

MBA with no real working experience is useless. The fact that your school admits you to their MBA program despite your lack of experience just shows that it may not be a good school after all. Upon graduation, the chances are you will be paid the same as other bachelor-degree-fresh grad or lower; if you can get a job at all.

Those reputable (&recognized) ones like NTU, NUS, and INSEAD require their MBA students to have at least a few years of working experience before they can get admitted to their program. The applicants are also required to submit testimonials from the current employers about their work achievements.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Men in Black! What else! :P
he did say he graduated from india... :lol:

(aash/readers: just kidding!)

lohango

opportunity cost!

Post by lohango » Thu, 14 May 2009 4:51 pm

If your parennts have substantail savings - go ahead and appy NUS, NTU, or SMU. They are more than happy. cost around S$25000 for the 1.5 year program. INSEAD singapore branch charges S$85K! Chicago Biz school has also a branch here. Around the same $$$ tag. Good part time program is MBS - Machester Business School. Cost around $50K. You get the flexibility to work still - 2 nights + 3 day workshop for each module.

The part time programs in local singapore univ are also very taxing, requring a lot of course work. The chinese education style tend to inject a lot knowledge through course work.

Don't think many MBA offer scholoship nowadays. There are more employers offer 60-80% sponsorship for employees if they deemed necessary to train you, especially MNCs. To lower your OPPORTUNITY COST, best option is get a job in MNC, and find a business postion, do it well and convince your boss for a sponsorship to do a part time MBA.
One for all, all for one!

MBAsurvey

distance learning

Post by MBAsurvey » Sun, 31 May 2009 6:03 pm

Surveys are not allowed in the forum threads, further posts made in attempt to gain such will be deleted and your account may be locked.

Moderator.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: opportunity cost!

Post by taxico » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:19 am

lohango wrote:If your parennts have substantail savings - go ahead and appy NUS, NTU, or SMU. They are more than happy. cost around S$25000 for the 1.5 year program. INSEAD singapore branch charges S$85K! Chicago Biz school has also a branch here. Around the same $$$ tag. Good part time program is MBS - Machester Business School. Cost around $50K.
can people without working experience enroll though?

lulu1234

Re: opportunity cost!

Post by lulu1234 » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 1:25 pm

can people without working experience enroll though?[/quote]

What i know is NTU, NUS and INSEAD only accept those with at least 3 years of working experience.

Even if you manage to get into these school without working experience, you will not enjoy the programme. Because:
(1) You will be required to actively participate in class discussions to earn your participation grades. Without working experience, i'd say you may not know what the rest are talking about.
(2) and, as i mentioned earlier, MBA with ZERO experience is useless.

but, of course, if you still want to take the MBA without getting working experience first, then it's up to you. It's your $$ anyway.