Singapore Expats

Air traffic controller

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
brainstew19

ATC Screening Test + Personality Test

Post by brainstew19 » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 2:19 pm

Hi, could anyone brief me more on what to expect for the ATC interview. Im goin for my screening test tomorrow and i'm having mix thoughts after reading the forum.

Pls helpppppppppppp

Cheers!

WSSS

Post by WSSS » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:42 pm

employment terms hv changed for the new ones tt r goin to join ATC... bond period is reduced... allowances are goin up...

bonuses are not too bad ...

u shd probably clarify the terms n conditions before signing on the dotted line.. dun be so silly and sign on the line without knowing wats ur backpay gonna be...

ATC is undergoin a change in the shift system... dun forget to enquire abt the new working hrs ...

feel free to ask any questions abt Spore ATC...

oh haha some gd stuff abt ATC ... u dun hv to bring bk any work... usually work 1hr max 1.5 hr ... n u go for a 30min break...

shanny

Post by shanny » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 2:32 pm

Hi,

Can anyone advise me basically what skills or qualities you have got to equipped with to be cut out for Air Traffic Controller?

I wanted to join Air Traffic Controller with the Airforce but due to eyesight problem I cannot join as they got 500 degrees limitation.

I understand it is a very stressful job that's what I heard from my Airforce counterpart.

Basically what's the job scope about? Do we have to take Airfield permit? Would they have callsign as well? Other than monitoring the aircraft movements, what else does it actually includes? Will we require to take any other certification, licence or permit?

To me, package is secondary, the job scope is primary. I have to love my job.

I think to those ppl who feel that they have been conned. Sometimes it is the job scope weren't briefed to them clearly. It differs greatly from those that they expect. The renumeration package and benefits is what we can see but the real job scope that we gonna cover behind the package is what we can't see till we are bonded.

brainstew19

Post by brainstew19 » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:41 am

Thanks WSS, i just did my ATC screen test yest and i'm not sure if i fared well. i took 2 hrs plus.. hope i get the call back for the next round.

WSSS

Post by WSSS » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 4:10 pm

basically u juz nd to hv the apitude for the job and secondly perseverance to hang in thru the entire training period (cld tk up to 1yr whr u will be paid an allowance based on ur edu. qualifications and then receive a backpay of ur pay when u PASS)

If u really wanna be an ATC, i suggest u join the CAAS rather than Airforce... anyway airforce work only up to age 45.. after tt they oso join CAAS for their 2nd career...

the job is definitely stressful, but when u r free... u r really free... dun forget there is no bring home work !

Basically what's the job scope about?
u manage flights to ensure safety amongst the rest and if possible be efficient as well.

Do we have to take Airfield permit? Would they have callsign as well? Other than monitoring the aircraft movements, what else does it actually includes? Will we require to take any other certification, licence or permit?

u will be given training in SAA. no worries abt watever certification or permit.

To me, package is secondary, the job scope is primary. I have to love my job.

I think to those ppl who feel that they have been conned. Sometimes it is the job scope weren't briefed to them clearly. It differs greatly from those that they expect. The renumeration package and benefits is what we can see but the real job scope that we gonna cover behind the package is what we can't see till we are bonded

good show... come on join ATC... tink u will survive if u really is very passionate abt ATC. anywya bond is only 2 yrs!!! no longer 6 yrs!

brainstew19

Post by brainstew19 » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 9:28 am

Thanks WSS, am now waiting to see if i get a call back from HR for the interview. they said if selected will get a call two weeks after the apt test.
Do u know more about the medical? Could you brief more on it...

Venx

Post by Venx » Sat, 09 May 2009 12:44 am

any ATCO fm Changi here?

cadenze

Post by cadenze » Fri, 15 May 2009 2:38 pm

Venx, why the question? Are you an OJT at WSSS now?

I think some of the comments here are really quite out of line, especially when it came from an ex-trainee who dropped out of course with some dubious reasons. Gosh, you had us all conned! Thought you are a rated controller!

Like atozprime (I'm very curious about your identity) has said, CAAS is always in need of controllers BUT never desperate enough to 'con' potential candidates, or to consider sub-quality candidates.

Advice for those who are keen to try out and want to ace their aptitude tests/interviews, I would say just be yourself. Not everyone can become an ATCO, and you would rather that your unsuitability be sussed out early than to go through the tedious training process only to be asked to leave later when you are unable to meet the requirements.

Let me share my story... I went through the 3-hour long aptitude test in the midst of my grandma's funeral wake. I was nursing a bad headache and desperately in need of sleep. In short, I was totally unprepared and obviously not in the right state of mind. Yet I aced the tests, so much so that the HR took a look at my results and told me on the spot that they would be contacting me again shortly.

So what does it say? If you have the innate qualities, you just have it. There is no necessity for any preparation. Conversely, if you don't quite have it, but try hard enough to scrape through the OJT and get your rating... don't celebrate yet. It might just be the start of a nightmare which you could never wake up from. I've seen a few controllers struggling hard to keep afloat because they obviously lack the situational awareness/aptitude for the job.

I love the job, especially the challenges it presents to me on a daily basis. Unfortunately in a career, the job is but part of the whole package deal. The renumeration isn't exactly great for a female degree holder, for example. Ask yourself what you really want out of your career. It's a question everyone has to face at some point in time; it's not ATC-specific.

anito4a

Post by anito4a » Fri, 22 May 2009 10:44 pm

Well, I didn't get through !
Unfortunately...

Although I have been an aviation enthusiast since young and played many ATC simulator games. I still didn't get thru. Passion and love for something, doesn't necessarily always work.

Any idea,when I can apply again ? Is there a limit to the number of times I can apply ? I've applied the 2nd time, and no luck...

atozprime

Post by atozprime » Sat, 23 May 2009 8:41 pm

Like atozprime (I'm very curious about your identity) has said, CAAS is always in need of controllers BUT never desperate enough to 'con' potential candidates, or to consider sub-quality candidates.

Curiousity can kill a 'cad'... :D :shock: :o

I am also very curious about your identity too. Depending on stream, maybe you are working with me side by side... :P

Just ask around and maybe you can find out who I am.[/quote]

A7700

Post by A7700 » Tue, 26 May 2009 8:44 am

This is an interesting thread....
I'm an ATCO.
I would also like to be able to contribute.
What I hope to achieve is to create a clearer picture of what the Singapore Controller worklife is like and hopefully the right people would come in to our very small family.
In the process, New applicants who are "referred" to the job by someone inside. Upon successful recriutment, the referer gets tipped a nice $500 referal fee. I dun mind if an interested applicant chooses me as referal.

Having said all this I would like to acknowledge the already present colegues:

ye_lavinia: your profile is still unknown... but where it comes to figures, your numbers belong to the old scheme. The current scheme is about 10% better at entry level. :o

atozprime: 10yrs experience... gd morning to you. :D

WSSS n cadenze: "yo yo! first half or second half tonight" :P

This is how we talk, right? Direct n to the point.
Last edited by A7700 on Wed, 27 May 2009 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

A7700

Post by A7700 » Tue, 26 May 2009 8:48 am

anito4a wrote:Thank You jencrs :)

Any idea with regards to the payscale of $21k-$39K. I reckon that as a PATCO, you will be earning $21K per annum. Therefore, at which point in your career will you be earning the in-betweens of $21-$39K and at which point in your career will you be earning $39K.

Best
Alexander
Direct answer to your question...
If you successfully get your rating in 1 year. Your second year annual should breech $37k.... depending on how fate deals you, your recalls(which "outside list" gets paid) may bring your annual to $39k

A7700

Post by A7700 » Tue, 26 May 2009 9:11 am

Let's start @ recruitment(which should be what alot of considering applicants ponder)

Submitting an application which qualifies you, the HR will then be calling you up for the 2~3hour computer/aptitude test...
The best advice I wanna give is "go toilet first" cos its a long test.
The aim of the test is to profile you, so in many aspects, there is no point giving you tips.

If your profile fits, then 2 interviews and 1 tour of the SATCC n TOWER will follow.

At that point, if you do not like the work environment you see, then you should NOT :evil: be signing the documents.

On the flipside, if you realise this is your true calling: "Welcome to the family. Say hello working when your friends are sleeping. Sleeping when your friends are working. Your off days you'll be shopping, watching movies, Gyming when there is no crowd. You'll be making day trips to Johor, Batam, Thailand when there is no crowd.(think you get the idea)

And NEVER :twisted: bringing your work home with you....(unless in years to come you climb the management ladder... but that's so many years away)

cadenze

Post by cadenze » Tue, 26 May 2009 10:35 pm

atozprime wrote:Curiousity can kill a 'cad'... :D :shock: :o

I am also very curious about your identity too. Depending on stream, maybe you are working with me side by side... :P

Just ask around and maybe you can find out who I am.
I think I've seen your nick before in the atcas forum. If my memory serves me well... not from the same stream. In any case, what makes you think I'm still a controller? I could be trying to mislead everyone heh...

One thing which A7700 said is very true... you don't bring work home. However, shift work is not suitable for everyone out there especially if you have a family to care for.

A7700

Post by A7700 » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:42 am

cadenze wrote: One thing which A7700 said is very true... you don't bring work home. However, shift work is not suitable for everyone out there especially if you have a family to care for.
Thanks for agreeing,

Shift work is not for everyone and even more so true, Air Traffic Controlling is not for just any joe on the street. Assertiveness and Composure under all situations is a MUST.

We are really a mean breed and many applicants are not able finish the walk to getting double rated on the first attempt.
Then again, many brothers who have, but passion lost and left the ranks for other careers.

But not to paint such a gloomy picture. Alot of fun and even more satisfaction is to be had. Especially sorting out tight traffic on radar.

:twisted: Can you tell we are a proud breed :twisted:
Last edited by A7700 on Sun, 31 May 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.