Singapore Expats

Do people work very long hours in SG?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nazo

Do people work very long hours in SG?

Post by nazo » Wed, 06 May 2009 8:39 pm

Hi! I am new to the forum.

I wonder if people normally have to work long hours in SG( i.e. work longer than the normal working hours with/ without overtime allowances). Or only if people in certain industries need to work long hours? Has the financial crisis made more people willing to accept long working hours?

Thanks a lot. :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 06 May 2009 8:55 pm

There is this strange unwritten rule, that you dont leave until your boss does, so a lot of people hang around pretending to look busy.

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Wed, 06 May 2009 9:26 pm

Waiting for the boss to go home, by pretending to be busy is a totally stupid act in my opinion.

It's like working long hours for nothing, why not remind the boss to go home and get some rest ? :wink:

I think it will depends on the company's culture.

Work "smart" instead of work "hard".

It's not like every hours you spent will get you any money, if you don't work "smart".

makesomenoise

Re: Do people work very long hours in SG?

Post by makesomenoise » Thu, 07 May 2009 8:45 am

nazo wrote:Hi! I am new to the forum.

I wonder if people normally have to work long hours in SG( i.e. work longer than the normal working hours with/ without overtime allowances). Or only if people in certain industries need to work long hours? Has the financial crisis made more people willing to accept long working hours?

Thanks a lot. :)

I guess in some industry long hours without overtime allowances is very common in SG. But to me as long as you get the job done / or those that need to be done by today. U should be leaving on the dot, without staying back late.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 07 May 2009 9:09 am

jesse.armand wrote:
I think it will depends on the company's culture.

Very true, in one firm, during the end of year staff appraisals, all the staff that stayed late received a negative feedback, as management assumed that they were not able to cope with the work load, and had very poor time management skills.

In another firm, it was the total opposite, if the staff goes home "early" at 5 pm it was seen a disrespectful to the boss and shows no loyalty.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 07 May 2009 9:41 am

Anyway...for me....and my current job now...what the hell do i wanna care about the management...Just do my job properly..and play along with the politics well....give them what they want....

Need to be tough to work in Singapore. i think majority are workaholics...If you're slow...you';re out...

:mad:

haha

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 07 May 2009 10:40 am

Personally I would use a little common sense and not be taken advantage of, on too many occasions, without being paid extra.

First priority is to value your own input, you should have a good idea if you are pulling your weight in the company.

If you are earning your keep, you should put that before any greedy boss or old fashioned culture, if the boss doesn't like it, it's tough.

Everyone in the work place needs recognition for what they do, to be praised for doing good work and encouraged to keep the spirit up.

Singaporeans unfortunately love to exploit in most cases, because it's more financial gain for them, and blood sweat and tears for you.

I have discussed with others, that it doesn't pay to treat the workers like slaves, and although they do not yet, appreciate or understand what work is, because of their failing inefficiencies and present lack of respect for their employers, it turns into a vicious circle.

Bosses need to manage their employees in a respectful way, and everything must be clear cut, with a job description, and hanky panky is not tolerated, team work is important, continued education is important,
and the opportunity to trust is important.

Many employees fail on all counts, hence the bosses just make them wait, around work all the hours under the sun, and never give them any opportunities or pay rises.

Culture and traditions are not easy to change, takes development and experience of handling employees.

Although one should remember that if you do not earn your wages, by hard work, and no play, why should you keep your job.

Work ethics are not the same for everyone, some people bend under peer pressure on the work floor, to slow down a good boss, will know what is going on, if he had the experience of building the business, such things has bench marking, time and motion all play apart.

unfortunately Singapore is still in the dark ages, and will not change in my life time.

So it is very important to know your own worth, and having the confidence to take charge of your own life.

Normally a good worker would be appreciated, but many are not in Singapore, the bosses ego and greed is built on exploitation, and fear in many cases.

I have seen excellent workers walk out after 6 years of employment, because a dumb boss, cannot appreciate the value of the employee, and only last week discovered a friend of mine jacked his job in has a manager, because of no career prospects with a dumb boss. All his team jacked as well, so i was shocked when i visited the work place, only to find i didn't know anyone.

That's life in Singapore, although i am sure there are good places to work too, if you can find them.

Normally it would be with an expat owned business, that comes from evolving work ethics and experiences, but basically it's all about respect and the commitment to the business, which is very important in the start up phase of any business, with no money coming in. Others would probably just fold up, without good management and social communication skills.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 07 May 2009 1:12 pm

QRM wrote:There is this strange unwritten rule, that you dont leave until your boss does, so a lot of people hang around pretending to look busy.
This is nowhere near as universally observed as it is in eg. Japan though.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

rluk

Post by rluk » Thu, 07 May 2009 9:53 pm

I work for a local company and our "core" work hours are 9.5 per day, with a 1 hour lunch.

Offically it is encouraged to consider work-life balance i.e. go home on time if you want to, but culturally the pull is very definately to work late. Management seem genuine about it, but the culture is strong.

Having said that, longer lunches and late arrivals are common. Medical leave is also generous and seems to be used a bit just to take days off.

Myself, I prefer to arrive early, short lunch and hardly ever take sick days - but I do like to go home roughly on time. That is pretty much what I do and I haven't copped any flack. (Although I have a thick skin and am fairly confident of my contribution.)

I guess it ultimately depends on the company you work for and your position within the company.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 07 May 2009 11:28 pm

Basically it happens all over the world, That i am sure about, I know of the polish exploitation in UK in my home town area, in which the polish do not get the European set wage, the UK has it's own laws, and doesn't give a Shiite about European laws, in fact if you look closely at the political agenda since 1973, everything has been changed to avoid Europe, and that I can guarantee everyone in UK.

Any complaints from foreigners and they are out of a job, so they just work for what is offered, because it's still more than what they get in there own Country, the place is a cess pit of crime of which i am ashamed of.

The days of the bobby walking the beat and having a chat on the door step is long gone...after they lowered the entrance exams for police, to let all the dumb shits and criminals in and to think they get paid higher than professional soldiers is a damn disgrace.

Oh well that's my Heineken rant for tonight :oops: and yes I did look at the glycemic load :roll: :wink: But I have the will power to reach my goal too :) or drop dead trying :o

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 08 May 2009 1:35 am

Yes - People stay at work late but whether they are workign or not is another story. There is a culture of having to be seen to be working late or (just as) harder as everyone else whether you achieve or not.

My advice do your work - Achieve your goals, Go home when you want.

Money talks and shite walks.
Be Like Water

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sun, 10 May 2009 1:12 am

Yesss....well said...

I am one of those slave that have to work almost 7 days a week, though not on official working hours on weekends but still having to standby and run around ... without even having the time to enjoy what i had earn all these months...and the continuous 'workaholic' culture for as long as im with them....

All these so call hardwork transform into burn out and stress....limited time to go back home.....everyday im walking into office with a pissed off expression..cursing in office even when my boss rooms is just next to me whenever things doesnt get the way i want....heck..who cares...

Ive taken control of my own work..never be afraid of management people.....the most important thing is....i am moving on to a career that i would sit into my prospective manager one day...not lamenting and forcing myself to perform everytime...

Wish me luck..wuu huu!...Management?? Well, who cares, just give them what they want. If you cant do it, tell them so with your alternative plan...Management are just no different from us anyway...

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Sun, 10 May 2009 1:35 am

The thicker the layers of management, most likely will produce more detachments of managers with their subordinates.

Most people don't really care about the company, except the owner or the CEO, they only care about their career.

Most of the time, the middle management teams are just taking advantage of their position to do less work, with better gains, so the bottom line will suffer.

It sucks, sh*t happens, but that's life.

nazo

Post by nazo » Tue, 12 May 2009 5:41 pm

Thank you very much for everyone's reply. :)

It seems that long working hours in SG is unavoidable... :(

But does the law in SG allow no paid overtime work? or simply the employers ignore the law? Isn't there any lawful protection of workers from being exploited?

How would the future be if everyone keeps working long hours? I wonder if people would all make the company (or the office) home!! :?

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Tue, 12 May 2009 7:19 pm

It's not unavoidable.

Depends on who you work for, and what are you working at.

You can read MOM rules, but I doubt MOM could do much to help just one dissatisfied employee / worker.

Most people should seek legal services for that kind of help.