Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 May 2007 6:37 pm

E-T,

Nice post. :cool:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

E-T

Post by E-T » Sat, 26 May 2007 1:26 am

Thank you very much. :cool:

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Sat, 26 May 2007 3:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:E-T,

Nice post. :cool:

sms
Here, here! There's a lot of crap in this thread but this post brings the average quality up considerably. If I was being picky I would take issue with the bit about hardship. Singapore is a breeze compared with some places I could mention! That's not a criticism of where I am now but just a fact of life and culture shock.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

amylovespp

Post by amylovespp » Sat, 26 May 2007 1:46 pm

Zzzzzz
Last edited by amylovespp on Wed, 15 Feb 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sourisso
Regular
Regular

Post by sourisso » Sun, 27 May 2007 3:01 pm

i heard that lots of singaporean gals doesn't want to have caucasian boy friends.

siggiboy1

Post by siggiboy1 » Mon, 28 May 2007 3:34 am

Don't be afraid of coming here. Although discrimination is not encouraged, it bound to happen time and time again.
I heard singapore is a place of law and order. What form of discrimination happens over there. Frankly speaking I am rather confronted with offensive people from time to time than locals who laugh at me?? Do I have to expect this sort of `discrimination` described by Marc??

E-T

Post by E-T » Mon, 28 May 2007 2:36 pm

Discrimination is a funny thing. It happens even from locals towards locals.

While it is a fact that Singapore is a strict authoritian state governed by law, there is very little the law can do. The law has done well when it comes to the work and education arena, but the law cannot control little bit and pieces of life.

The issue goes beyond just colors, to be really frank right down to the bone. Other factors like employment, benefits etc all contribute to how the society views expats. Is a survey of 5000 people enough to speak for the entire local community here? Surely not. And it is uncommon to hear resentments from locals about how expats are "stealing" employment away from locals. It's just reality we have to face.

Let's take for example, I once applied for a manager position and I was offered 5k/mth. When my application finally hits the HR department, the HR manager reduced it to 3.5k. I rejected it of course, but it did turn out they employed an expat at 5k/mth later on. (I had friends working in that company so I get my fair share of information.) Reason being, I am not an expat.

derp

Post by derp » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 4:58 pm

I understand that people who never went out that little island may find funny to see caucasians. The day they "discover" black people for the first time, waa, gonna be another laughing time in the MRT. :lol:
im just kidding, i know most of people in singapore is cool and btw i never had real problem with them.

its funny in a way that some people complain about caucasians coming here for work. i wonder how much "true" singaporeans are living here.. singapore is not a chinese country, its not an indian country, not a malaysian... most of the people here are not "at home", almost everyone are foreigners ehe, like the caucasians coming here. 8-)
i was just doing some research on the web about being a singaporeans and stuff, benefits etc. and i bumped onto this topic here, rather interesting, different opinions by different ppl.

and i've to agree with sourisso that honestly, no one really is a true singaporean here. we all are just here and being tied down by the nationality. funny thing is, no singaporean really liked being a singaporean anyways. im not stereotyping all the locals, but i meant for the younger generations.

and yes, i've once seen a family of black ppl in raffles city(a place supposedly see white ppl more than asians, sometimes).

locals do look up upon the white ppl a lot. i swear, cause im studying in a arts school. i have more foreigners than locals, and now that some ppl think im not local cause i speak a different english when im with my american speakin friends. and i treat and see everyone else the same, no judgements. my friends (and also my mom) said, im a banana, cause im yellow outside, but white inside. and this american friend of mine said its weird talkin to me, cause i seemed to know the 'american-way' more than any other locals he has spoken to.

and i've to say that lately i felt very much like a foreigner as well. and sometimes i find those friends i have back then in secondary school really weird. cant seemed to be able to talk to them anymore. the thinking everyone has here, seemed to be so dead. im sorry but i believe i've seen a lot more different stuff than a normal local polytechnic/jc student, cause they only hung out with singaporeans. thats why i think singaporeans are not open-minded at all. most never knew how it felt to have a buddy/good friend who's not a singaporean and therefore most never understood a lot of whats outside of singapore.

actually, singapore being a country that has a diversity of races, (i think) most singaporeans do not give a shit about caucasians walking on the streets. because we have too many of them here, but glares, still.

honestly, singapore is not as bad as countries like china or indonesia, or maybe to some extend even malaysia.
when i was in indonesia with my buddy from detroit, we always get stares everywhere we go, primarily cause he's white, im normal (lol), cause im an asian in an asian country. but i got hell lot of weird stares from the locals cause i speak freak english! we get to take photos with the locals at the hot springs, in the clubs, and my whiteass buddy is like a celebrity, and im his manager.

in china, according to a local whom i knew, they stare are white ppl, cause they might not even see one in their lifetime. but i guess it differs from cities to cities, im sure there are lot more white ppl in large cities like shanghai or beijing.

so what do singaporeans know? twilight, levi jeans, lots of akon plus 'hiphop' and macdonalds?!?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 7:57 pm

sourisso wrote:i heard that lots of singaporean gals doesn't want to have caucasian boy friends.
How very true and who can blame them. None of them. We smell, our schlongs are too big and we are obnoxious.

amlylovespp wrote:
i heard that lots of singaporean gals want to have caucasian boy friends.
How very true and who can blame them. All of them. We smell nice, have big schlongs and ozze self-confidence
One in the hand is worth two of something

Shona

Aussie Bananas

Post by Shona » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 2:11 pm

hey Derp,

That term is used in Australia too. Banana - Yellow on the outside, white in the inside. It is usually used by Australian born Chinese (or ABC's) referring to themselves.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Post by OogieBoogie » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 3:02 pm

derp, it's funny, you said Singaporean people loop upon white people. This very morning i was thinking "man it looks like i'm invisible, nobody look at me, at all. Even people who come in other direction and pass like 3 feet from me. Not one eye contact at all."
But it's true that people stare at me and my wife when we go shop at Giant sometimes. But it's maybe because we feel like the only caucasian on the shop! It is like forbidden for white guys to buy stuff in Giant?

I think people looked upon me more in Japan though, especially when you're out of the tourist road. It even happened that a whole bus of japanese kid suddenly looked at me, with some of them singing "Gaijin! Gaijin!" (like Ang Mo but in Japanese) and waiving at me. I wouldn't had had a different treatement if i was Gamera.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Aussie Bananas

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 3:05 pm

Shona wrote:hey Derp,

That term is used in Australia too. Banana - Yellow on the outside, white in the inside. It is usually used by Australian born Chinese (or ABC's) referring to themselves.
Those are really confused as they cannot figure out which country they are actually from as ABC's generally are "American Born Chinese". Australia now wants that title for themselves as well? They aren't happy taking 1st place for the percentage of FAT people. Beating our 25% with a new record for obese persons of 26% of the population!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yll90

Post by yll90 » Fri, 01 May 2009 6:28 pm

Wow I accidentally stumbled into this forum and was shocked to see how this Singaporeans & Caucasians topic could spark so much controverises! I think nowadays people tend to get paranoid unnecessary and debating endlessly over who's right and who's wrong.

And the following statement did catch my attention and make me laugh out loud!

sourisso wrote:
i heard that lots of singaporean gals doesn't want to have caucasian boy friends.

Where did you get that from? Well all I can say is it's the preference of the girl. I would definitely date a caucasian guy if I have the chance. Just blame it for the fact that I'm surrounded by asians most of the time in school. Sigh..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 May 2009 2:16 pm

yll90 wrote:I would definitely date a caucasian guy if I have the chance. Sigh..
Why?

yll90

Post by yll90 » Sat, 02 May 2009 4:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple
Why?
Umm why would I want date a caucasian? Personally, I think that the liberty to choose might be the right answer for it. I don't want to be limit myself to date somebody of my own race or neither do I want to refrain myself to date someone from a particular race. I alway believe that there are no boundaries in building a relationship with someone who shares a different culture or ethnicity as you. It's only the fact that whether you allow it to happen or not and how well you can do to sustain a relationship with that someone.

And of course, somehow I find that caucasians are more alluring than asians. Don't ask me why cause I don't know myself either! But I started to have a fondness for them already since I was in nursery school! Weird huh?