Singapore Expats

Urgently suggestion needed to deal with the employer

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
pisceanhuong

Urgently suggestion needed to deal with the employer

Post by pisceanhuong » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 7:42 pm

DELETED
Last edited by pisceanhuong on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:10 pm

You screwed up, buddy, and if you had done that to me I wouldn't pay you either.

a) You want to get out of your contract early. You have a real nice boss who agrees to your terms.

b) You don't even take the time to find out what your final responsibilities are, and you don't tell your friend what he needs to be doing.

c) You then try to blame it on your boss.

Sorry, you failed to do the necessary things that would have made this work. Your boss could have told you to f*ck off but instead tried to work with you. You didn't do anything.

You should have (after your boss agreed to the terms):

a) Sat down with your boss and reviewed all the tasks that needed to be done in the next two weeks.

b) Sat down with your friend and reviewed all the tasks that needed to be done.

c) Meet with your boss with your friend to insure that everyone understood what should be happening.

You didn't do this and it was your responsibility since you came up with the idea of a substitute.

Case closed. Take it as a lesson learned. Do your job, ESPECIALLY when someone has cut you some slack.

pisceanhuong

Post by pisceanhuong » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:32 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You screwed up, buddy, and if you had done that to me I wouldn't pay you either.

a) You want to get out of your contract early. You have a real nice boss who agrees to your terms.

b) You don't even take the time to find out what your final responsibilities are, and you don't tell your friend what he needs to be doing.

c) You then try to blame it on your boss.

Sorry, you failed to do the necessary things that would have made this work. Your boss could have told you to f*ck off but instead tried to work with you. You didn't do anything.

Case closed. Take it as a lesson learned. Do your job, ESPECIALLY when someone has cut you some slack.
Thank you for your reply.

a. Why did he agree with the arrangement (which leads to my friend's one week working) and then denied agreeing? If she didn't think it was a good plan, then she could always told me at the very first stage she didn't want to take my friend in and work.

b. Did I tell you I left my friend there on her own? Before leaving, I did brief her with whatever I was handling. I did tell her whom to ask, what to do, where to find what. And I consulted her through phone whenever she needed help. The schedule for the event was given by the boss and we were just follow. The boss didn't give advance notification about the event, how were we supposed to know my dear?

c. Did I say any bad adjective about the boss which sounded like I was blaming her? I described a truthful and straighforward situation which had nothing beyond the line.

d. Well, I thought during the 2 weeks I worked there, my efforts could be testified by colleagues and clients. You didn't work with me yourself and experience my efforts to state that I am someone who is not worth to work with.

I am here to seek help. I would be more grateful if you can provide me with the reasons why you think "I fail the necessary things that would have made this work" and "I didn't do anything"?

Yes I'm learning this lesson. If you can help me, do reply politely, reasonably and constructively. I didn't offend any people and don't expect being offended.

pisceanhuong

Post by pisceanhuong » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: You should have (after your boss agreed to the terms):

a) Sat down with your boss and reviewed all the tasks that needed to be done in the next two weeks.

b) Sat down with your friend and reviewed all the tasks that needed to be done.

c) Meet with your boss with your friend to insure that everyone understood what should be happening.

You didn't do this and it was your responsibility since you came up with the idea of a substitute.
Well, for your information,

I sat down with the boss and my friend to settle everything before I left.

a. I and my friend and the boss did discuss the work I was undertaking together so that my friend could easily take it up. At that time, the boss didn't have any special task that needed to be done the next 2 weeks.

b. I did tell her what I did, what I was doing and what the boss might need.

c. I tried to communicate through emails because it's easier to trace back what was discussed. The boss did verbally agreed for my friend to work there and now denying her contribution is an example of my reason.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:42 pm

Your boss clearly doesn't think that you handled the situation properly. Since I wasn't there to hear the whole story, I'll stick with my advice.

a) Your friend wasn't where he/she was supposed to be.

b) It was your responsibility to insure that he/she was there.

Nuff said. Offense is in the mind of the beholder. I have said nothing offensive, and again, given the details you have provided, I would not pay you, either.

pisceanhuong

Post by pisceanhuong » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Your boss clearly doesn't think that you handled the situation properly. Since I wasn't there to hear the whole story, I'll stick with my advice.

a) Your friend wasn't where he/she was supposed to be.

b) It was your responsibility to insure that he/she was there.

Nuff said. Offense is in the mind of the beholder. I have said nothing offensive, and again, given the details you have provided, I would not pay you, either.
Ok, if you just glanced through my post I think you might want to re-read it.
Of course it was my responsibility to insure my friend was where she should be. However the boss didn't notify us of the event at all, how were we supposed to know?

And another thing is the event set up started from 7AM. My friend came to office at 9AM and found out the office was closed. If she was supposed to be attending the event and didn't report there at 7.30AM, why wasn't she contacted? But 2 hours later, she was notified that there was an event that day?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 9:03 pm

Look, you are trying to shift responsibility for the f*ck ups to your boss from yourself. I say they are your responsibility. If you don't agree, then don't agree. But don't ask me to accept your rationalizations.

In the long haul, you signed a contract, then weasled out of it.

You suggested a friend and it did not work out because YOU did not insure that it would work out.

I'm done. You need to learn to accept responsibility or you will have lots more of these 'very big and intense problem(s)'.

pisceanhuong

Post by pisceanhuong » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 9:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Look, you are trying to shift responsibility for the f*ck ups to your boss from yourself. I say they are your responsibility. If you don't agree, then don't agree. But don't ask me to accept your rationalizations.

In the long haul, you signed a contract, then weasled out of it.

You suggested a friend and it did not work out because YOU did not insure that it would work out.

I'm done. You need to learn to accept responsibility or you will have lots more of these 'very big and intense problem(s)'.
I'm glad you're done.
Simply put, will you know what assignments you will have and when to submit if the lecturer doesn't have lesson plan or tell you?

skyer1athome

HI

Post by skyer1athome » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 6:18 pm

HI,

Just to let you know that I give you my view on things and how I see it.

1) If you have a contract and a notice for a contract is stated to be submitted 2 weeks before official and amicable termination of services then by all means you have failed to honor your contract.

2) When you, your friend and your employer "verbally" agreed to the last minute changes "may" be a solution....its clearly seen as a solution for you in principal that you will be still honoring your contract.

- Could it be that your "friend" was absent minded and may have in other words forgotten the times and schedules.

- Could it be that your "friend" is not up to par or standard in work as you are that there could be a conflict between your employer. If your "friend" is that experience then this situation would never have come up. From how I see it, I think your "friend" is to be blamed for his poor working skills and lack to communicate with your employer.

- If your "friend" is just a temporary replacement only for 2 weeks just to serve out your contract by being a body present in the work place. It may be disadvantageous to your employer who has invested not only monetarily value to you working there but the essence of the job scope you performing. Perhaps your friend in a space of 2 weeks could not compensate or deliver to your employer's expectation.

- Although everything was clearly defined and worked out at the beginning, eventually mistakes and communication breakdown does happen especially in this case. Who is to blame?...Does it matter?... YES it does,....matter to both principal parties, employer and employee by one contract that is still binding unless otherwise stated in writing officially.

3) Your Employer has every right to honor the contract and deduct your salary for 2 weeks because the solution that you came up with FAILED at the end of the day. Since your employer did not benefit either, then you should be the one to accept the responsibility to compensate your employer and "friend"

Remember, as a employee or employer the contracts that are drawn up at the beginning before employment should be strictly followed and honored. To deviate against the written contract is poor decision you made with such a scenario for a solution.

I hope that you learn to become a better person working when you commit your time and and effort. Trusting other people to do your work can be disastrous as happened in your case. Do plan well and ahead any of your career moves by being professional to have a meeting and sit down with your employer especially when you plan to leave the company. Do approach your employer and admit its your mistake and genuinely ask them how this matter could be put to rest and there shall be no bad sentiments. No point arguing who is right or wrong. Its clearly YOU!! are in the wrong and accept the matter that the burden lies with you afterall to solve with your employer and "friend"

Take care...

**PS- Your employer went along with your "solution" because if it did not work out in other words he could easily just go back to the written contract between yourself and him because most likely I suppose he was testing out your "friend" is suitable to replace you eventually on a longer term basis. However since it did not work out in a space of a week then your employer has the right to continue to honor the written contract as otherwise stated.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 1:55 pm

pisceanhuong wrote:Simply put, will you know what assignments you will have and when to submit if the lecturer doesn't have lesson plan or tell you?
You sign up for a course and don't hear back. Do you:

a) assume everything is peachy-keen and do nothing
b) ask the lecturer and confirm that everything is covered
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

lore

Re: Urgently suggestion needed to deal with the employer

Post by lore » Mon, 20 Apr 2009 3:15 pm

pisceanhuong wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a foreigner in Singapore and am having a very big and intense problem with the previous employer.

I worked for an event company for 2 weeks. After that, I took up a study course and had to terminate the contract (if u think u are going to take a course, u shouldnt have sign a contract in the first place. This is a very irresponsible act. U should learn that never take things easily by thinking to ask ur friend to replace you) with the company. For the termination needs to be notified 2 weeks in advance, so I asked my friend to help me work for that company to cover these 2 weeks. The boss agreed with that arrangement and let my friend work there. She stressed that The next 2 weeks that my friend was going to work would be counted as my contribution and the company would have no employment-related issue with my friend(ur boss is right, they employed you in the first place cos they think you fits the job and not ur friend and i think ur boss at least kind enuff to let and try out ur friend). The agreements between us three were verbal(anything bout business is nothing verbal. ur boss is not ur friends or long time business partner but is ur boss who runs a company. U should learn this.). It was 16th March when I submitted the resignation letter and arranged for my friend to replace me.

During the week that my friend worked there, the boss never told her about the event that she wanted my friend to attend in the next week(she dun consider ur friend as her employed staff & i dun see why the effort to let ur friend noe). So on Monday of the next week, my friend came to the office and found that it was closed. She made a call to the boss and asked. The boss then replied that I was supposed to let my friend know about the event on that day (which I had no idea about). Then the boss blamed me and my friend for irresponsibility and the conflicts started. On the day that my friend waited in the office, after meeting the boss, the boss told her that she wanted to cancel the contract and asked my friend to go home. After that she called me to let me know what happened. The boss didn't have any act of communication with me. It was 23rd March (1 week after I submitted the resignation letter)

I immediately wrote to the boss and asked why things turned out to be like that and how she was going to pay me and my friend in the end. She then replied that she would not count the week that my friend was working there because my friend didn't belong to the company and I terminated the contract on 16th March without any advance notice, which would make her deduct my salary by the amount of 2 weeks working (which means I will get nothing for working there for 2 weeks and my friend's commitment for 1 week would be countless).

I have been trying to communicate through emails in order to avoid losing any unreasonable statements from her but she tried not to understand and keeps saying I'm wrong and irresponsible without any proofs. ( i dun see why the needs to communicate wth you further cos again u are in the wrong to terminate a contract)

If anyone had met these situation before, kindly advice me on what I should do. I would much highly appreciate your helps.
Had replied you highlighted in red and some which i did not reply cos actually you had aredi stated out urself of the mistakes/wrong you had done which you yourself don't realise the mistakes u had made. If you still strongly thinks u are still at right then go to a lawyer but i bet you are going to lose $$.