Singapore Expats

Why February was chosen for leap year adjustment?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
eshan

Post by eshan » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:45 am

ksl wrote:This is not so easy to spot even for me, probably very difficult for everyone.
True.. you would have found it only if it was there.. and our friend is just saying "I do not know" in many ways..

Easiest role in the world is to become a Parent.. and send the kids to school .. and say "go ask your teacher" OR "go find it in the library"... and enroll them into the "Fishing" school..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:23 pm

In ancient Rome, leap day was on February 24 due to February being the last month of the calendar. The original Roman calendar added an extra month every few years to maintain the correct seasonal changes. The Julian calendar was implemented in 45 BCE, resulting in a leap day being added to the end of February every four years.
In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII refined the Julian calendar with a new rule that a century year is not a leap year unless it is evenly divisible by 400. The introduction of the Gregorian calendar was observed in some countries including Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain. The conversion took longer for other countries such as Great Britain (1752) and Lithuania (1915).
You start with the reference to the Julian calendar and then look for more information just like I did with the various links provided therein on the page. After reading further down the page from the information regarding seasons and the Julian calendar, I see a link entitled About Leap Day - Feb 29th. If you weren't so spoon-fed, you would have done the same thing and learned what you were asking as it's right there as to how it originally came to be at the end of February. Simply because at one time when leap years were first being realigned, February was the last month of the year. So, it has remained there ever since.

So, in answer to you original question: Why February was chosen for leap year adjustment?

The obvious answer is that it was the last day of the last month of the year.

Apology not needed.

](*,) :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

eshan

Post by eshan » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 7:01 pm

Bingo.. that was and the only answer I was looking for, since I derived the answer logically and not historically.

but the question now is , Did you know this off hand? or only the question made you look for the link?

So can we safely conclude we start living life with assumptions AND it never occurs to us to know, unless we get the need for it ?

p.s. between you & me... you din get it the first round did ya? for you could have put up the second link , in your first reply itself.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:21 pm

eshan wrote: p.s. between you & me... you din get it the first round did ya? for you could have put up the second link , in your first reply itself.
Between you & me, you lack a lot more upstairs than I though originally. I'm not in the habit of putting up BS in answer to a query. I usually know what I'm talking about after doing my research. Sorry Shankar, I'm not gonna bite this time. I told you where to look in my first post. Had you done that you would have found the second link which went into more depth on the Julian calendar.You blew it in the beginning and now you are starting to really look foolish. Are you part crawfish? Cause your sure are backing up fast.

You look as foolish now as you did with the base 9 crap. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

eshan

Post by eshan » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:15 am

hahahaha... so be it..

as the James bond's movie title.. "Its a View to a Kill"