Singapore Expats

Acting agency

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
invogue

Acting agency

Post by invogue » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:58 pm

Does anyone know of any reputable acting agencies I can approach for representation? I am coming to Singapore for modeling work but would like to try and get some acting roles as well. Is there much of an entertainment industry with work available? Any advice would be appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 7:09 pm

You have about three choices here. Raintree Pictures, Jack Neo or MediaCorp. The rest to a lesser extent.

http://www.jteam.com.sg/aboutus/jackneo.asp

http://www.raintreeproductions.com/

http://www.mediacorp.sg/index.php

http://www.mediacorpraintree.com/

http://www.zhaowei.com/

http://www.rightangle.com.sg/

http://www.beachhousepictures.com/

It's enough to get you started anyway.

I was a Part time actor with SBC->TCS->MediaCorp (different names for the same broadcaster) from ~1988-2006 here before giving it up around 6 or 7 years ago after have be in over 100 different Mandarin Drama Serials in 18 years. (small time bit part ang moh when needed!) For our older local readers I also acted with Zoe Tay in the series that was her 1st leading role (Bobo in "Pretty Faces") when she started with SBC (also 1988). I have worked with almost all of the leading ladies and guys of that era including the series that had both Zoe & Fann in the same series together (Golden Pillow). :P

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Is there

Post by notwavingdrowning » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:20 am

ANYTHING this legend of a man does not know??

Regular readers will know that this man is the Sage of this forum...he has helped me more times than I can recall..

There is this new game..can YOU Stump SundayMorningStaple?

:wink: I doubt it!
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

xavierx88

acting agency

Post by xavierx88 » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 8:32 pm

hi there. i'm a malaysian and i am really interested in the television industry in singaproe. how do i get started? thanks for all of the agency above, but how do i start? i have my A level education and i am currently studying pharmacy in UK. but i have applied for a gap year because it has been my life long dream to be an actor. so please advice, i have been in singapore for about 1 month now. i do not know where to go or how to start. i only have a portfolio of photos taken in a studio. i am really in desperate need of help and guidance.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:36 am

The same way you would look for any job.

You assemble your portfolio along with you CV and a covering letter and you send it to them either via email or via snailmail on a CD/DVD. If you do it that way, please ensure you use a good virus scanner before you create the CD as the best possible way to shaft yourself is to send somebody an infected disk. I know, who would do such a thing! As a recruiter I've received so many over the years it's just second nature as soon as I've received a CD it's scanned by the latest updated Virus Scanner before it's opened. If it catches anything the CD is broken in half and thrown away unread. Could have been a good person but failure to look out for the little things tells me something about that person as well. Not something I'd like to send to my clients.

Anyway, Email or snailmail. If you are IT savvy, you could do a flash presentation or create a small MPG/AVI video where you can speak to them as well so they will also not only see you but hear your voice as well.

I didn't go that route however, as I was introduced by another part-time actor (also Caucasian) and I actually part-time directly for the studio. Most part-time actors work through an agency.

If you are looking at this professionally, this is another avenue you could pursue:

http://www.esma.sg/talent/course/listin ... 09-0000004

Good Luck

SMS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 9:22 pm

Ah yes the nostalga guess who! Just dug this one out of my album, they were both at actors school together.

Oops sorry just thought about the copy right, even though it is my photo, the actress is very famous now, and it's not a photo that has been released, although it was Gong Li when she was around 23 years old, before she became famous.

Back in early 90's, Beijing
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 12 Apr 2009 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 9:45 pm

ksl wrote:at actors school together.
as actors, they are very convincing to look like females! :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 9:53 pm

durain wrote:
ksl wrote:at actors school together.
as actors, they are very convincing to look like females! :P
ha! I was thinking that when i wrote it, should I have wrote actress school, then i would have offended the other half. I can assure you, they are both female :wink:
I had learnt my lesson down Bugis, ;roll: 20 years earlier!

germainetay87

Mediacorp: Looking for actors

Post by germainetay87 » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 5:00 pm

Hi, I'm working in the casting department of MediaCorp and we are looking for actors for our Chinese Drama Serials. We lack actors of different races and Nationalities. You don't have to be able to speak mandarin but speaking the language would definitely be a plus! If you're interested to come down for an audition, please give me a call at 98212425.

Ashleylinlin

Part time acting job

Post by Ashleylinlin » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 6:05 pm

Hi I am looking for a part-time acting job. A small role will also do just to fulfill my dream. Cause am currently taking a break and I have a bit of time. I am good in Chinese language but do I still need to go through the acting academy course for part time? Or how should I go about starting?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 7:44 pm

Did you read this thread from the beginning? :-|

Ashleylinlin

Part time acting job

Post by Ashleylinlin » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:33 am

Yes I have read from the beginning. I seen that u said for part-time actors they have to go thru agency? Or introduced by other part-time actors. But I have to have training experience? And do I have to send the details above to the agency in Singapore or do I just contact them saying I am interested?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:23 am

Rarely does anybody have training experience. I didn't and most of those I've worked with didn't. You just have to go down, prepared to do a sight reading and maybe a photo/film clip to see if photogenic or not. Having said that, you might only find work as an extra or if you are lucky, a bit part actor (e.g., a speaking role that only last a scene or two). With all the links and phone numbers in this thread you should be able to contact somebody.

Ashleylinlin

Post by Ashleylinlin » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:01 pm

Ok thanks:)

Ashleylinlin

Post by Ashleylinlin » Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:36 am

Sorry again wat do u think we should include in our cv? [/img]