Singapore Expats

Home theatre system from US

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mpp

Home theatre system from US

Post by mpp » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:40 am

We have just shifted from US and we have shipped our philips home theatre system from US which runs on standard 120V US power supply can let me know where i can get a good quality original transformer for the same since Singapore power supply is on 220V ...guess we will need a Step down transformer.....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 1:44 pm

Have you checked out the back end of your components? Most systems today are multi-voltage. Check your TV & VCR to see if they are multi-system as well. US DVD players are usually region specific so you will be able to play those DVD's you bring with you but not ones purchased/rented locally.

Here is a page of companies who may or may not carry mid sized transformers capable of handling a complete Home Entertainment System. You will have to call them and give them the total estimated wattage that would be consumed so they can figure out a size to suit:

http://www.singaporemirror.com.sg/ps_electric_tr.htm

Here are the stock answers to the majority of computer/electronics questions originating from North America.
  • * CPU Power Supply: Check the computer's case adjacent to the power cord. There you will find marks listing the model and serial numbers, and acceptable power inputs. If your unit accepts 110-240v, 50-60hz you are in luck. You need to find the small red or black slider switch on the computer's power supply. It may be necessary to remove a portion of the CPU case to get a clear look at the metal box which is the CPU's power supply. You will find the switch to be marked with 110v. Move the slider to the opposite pole, until 240v becomes visible. The computer's CPU is now set to work on 220-240v 50-60hz power input.

* Monitor Power Supply: Same drill. Find the marks listing acceptable power inputs. If the monitor lists 110-240v 50-60hz, you probably will not have to do anything further. I believe monitors actually run on 240v, and use a transformer when plugged into 110v. When plugged into 240v, the transformer kicks off-line and the monitor powers up without any further adjustment by you.

* Surge Protectors: Leave your 110v surge protectors at home. Even with a converter they will fry. They do not like 50hz power. You can by surge suppressors here for 220v 50hz power input.

* Printer power supply: I found it easiest to just buy a 220v power supply for my HP DeskJet. HP has a site here with a very helpful tech support line and parts department. They will deliver the power supply to your doorstep. If you don't have an HP printer, check with your vendor. You will probably find the power supply will not work with 50hz power. I learned that after I burned a hole in the floor after plugging my North American power supply into a converter.

* Internet access and faxing...all else is identical to doing it in North America. Cable modem service is available. $56/month for broadband access, and $46/month for the cable modem.

* Stereos bring 'em and buy a good transformer here.

* TV and VCR, leave at home, they won't work here, different tuner. Look at your electronic device near where the power cord plugs in to the housing. Find the marks in the case or on a metallic plate which list model numbers, serial numbers, and acceptable voltages. Look to see if your unit will accept 50hz power input. (If your unit uses an in-line transformer in the cord, the information will be stamped on the transformer.) If it does not accept 50hz power input, then no, it will not work even with a transformer. The transformer knocks the voltage down to 110volt, but can do nothing about the frequency. The frequency affects the speed at which the electrical device functions. If you use 50hz power on an electric motor, the motor just turns a bit slower, no harm done. If you put 50hz power to an integrated circuit, it smokes. You may check with the manufacturer and see if they have a power supply which will work on 220v 50hz power.
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers