Singapore Expats

Nokia Code camp in Singapore, Information please

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
nealcather

Nokia Code camp in Singapore, Information please

Post by nealcather » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 4:44 pm

Am taking part in Nokia calling all innovators contest and developing a Flash Lite application for S60 platform. I am facing some problems and thinking of attending the Nokia Code camp in Singapore. According to the web site ( :oops!: ) S60 will be discussed quite extensively there. Has anyone attended the previous camps? Will it help me? Thx in advance.
Neal Cather

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:13 am

tic.....toc.....tic.....toc.....tic.....

Do you really expect us to believe this? How much is Nokia paying you per spam link? Or is it per clickthrough? You Indian spammers really take the cake. Unfortunately you don't get up early enough in the morning. Really now, you expect us to believe you would spend all that money to come over here just to win a handphone?

:roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 2:07 pm

A little oversensitive today, are we SMS? Nokia Code Camp is both completely free and of interest only to hardcore geeks and/or mobile phone marketroids, so this is hardly spam.

My two cents: I haven't been to Nokia's camps, but I've been to other events like it, and yes, if the focus is sufficiently aligned with your interests, then they can be quite useful -- the best way to debug an application is to get a pro to figure out the problem. I'll be at BarCampKL next weekend myself :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 4:59 pm

No, not sensitive, just been keeping a rough scratchpad of Indian spammer's urls out of curiosity and there is a definite pattern both in the choosing of nicks and the primary and secondary IP addresses. Gets pretty easy to spot 'em if you are on the board a lot. :wink:

A lot of them recently sound like they are already here or have been here until you read a couple of their posts to see how erroneous they are. Of course your contribution to the spammers is great - it's not just for travellers! (Wikitravel - Foreign country cribsheet for dummies! :-) Kinda like all those yellow dummies books that let you be a pseudo wine expert and well as all kinds of other stuff. :P

For your info, I did go the the website. All of their websites that they are hawking exist by the way. Anyway, that's why the whole post is still there minus the URL instead of my normal process of just deleting them...... 8-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 6:18 pm

Perhaps if you were on the board a little more JP you would notice a characteristic of spammers: a new nic with one post to its credit. :wink:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 1:45 pm

Plavt wrote:Perhaps if you were on the board a little more JP you would notice a characteristic of spammers: a new nic with one post to its credit. :wink:
That's also a characteristic of genuine new users asking their first question... :-$
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 1:58 pm

jpatokal wrote:
Plavt wrote:Perhaps if you were on the board a little more JP you would notice a characteristic of spammers: a new nic with one post to its credit. :wink:
That's also a characteristic of genuine new users asking their first question... :-$
Yes, I should have mentioned the wording or that is used by spammers that is (difficult to explain given the number of tricks employed).