Singapore Expats

got cheated in Lucky Plaza ! Beware !!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
MrJelly

got cheated in Lucky Plaza ! Beware !!

Post by MrJelly » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:16 am

Yesterday morning, I was in a hurry to get a keyboard to hav my work done in Orchard cuz i forgot my old one in office. So i had no choice but had to buy one in Lucky plaza.

I went down to this shop at basement 1.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX, Lucky Plaza

Actually, this was my 2nd purchase at this shop as I hav purchased another keyboard in this shop also.....like 1 month ago.

I paid S$ 40 for a mini-keyboard. Of cuz, i knew much more expensive than other shops in like Funan Mall and SLS. But I had no luxury of time and just decided to buy it in Lucky Plaza.

At the point of sale, the salesguy called "Jas" told me "If cannot work, can come back to shop.....can give u warranty.......life time some more..."

The item was in complete seal. Furthermore, he was saying...warranty & can come back if cannot work....and also I thought keyboards and mouses nowadays seldom got problem one......also, my other first time purchase was no problem.....

So, i just paid, got receipt and rushed back to my work place.

Then the story started......

I found.....the keyboard is not in working condition. Then i went back to the shop with receipt in less than an hour and the salesguy tested on his computer. Also it didnt work.

That is the time when the guy started showing his true character. He was the one who sold me but now he said...."srry who said got warranty.???.......no warranty cant exchange....where got written warranty.....if want exchange, pay another 28 S$..." (Which he was just simply trying to sell me another one, of cuz I do know can get a keyboard at S$14 in other shops like Funan.)

Then i told him....."When u sold me, u said "got warranty....not working...can come back also...". Then he replied......"Who knows I told u.... got warranty..." (which implies no witness, thus, he got rights to cheat.)

I told him..."ok, i will call Police.." then he said..."Call...call lor....go go...go outside my shop and call..."

Then I went up to Lucky Plaza's Security Office to report.....One officer was kind enough to tell me...."they cant help and get involved also....cuz shops are paying rentals...."(which implies shops are his employers...)

Furthermore, He was kind enough to tell me also "ya....here(Lucky Plaza) got a lot cheating shops...." and took out his cheating case record book (which i also saw a lot other cases)....and noted down my case. And he gave me police number to contact.

Then I reported to police, waited at security office and they came down to Lucky Plaza to investigate my case. B4 i brought them to the shop, they honestly explained to me....they cant force the shop to pay me back or exchange.

Then after police hav spoken to the salesguy, they also got told by the salesguy about the option of topping-up 28$ to get an exchange keyboard. I told Mr. Police that top-up to get exchange doesnt make sense cuz the seller can name any price. Then he said..."ya...the seller has the rights to sell any price he want."

Mr. Police was kind enough and told me..."In Singapore, it's like this........no black and white, cant help u......receipt also doesnt help.....cuz we also dont know either u or seller r saying the truth.......(which he referring to warranty or no warranty)....." and finally, issued me a report no. to call CASE.

I asked them how CASE can help me and only got told that CASE also can just talk between me and shop......they can't force also.....the most....they will blacklist the shop...."

-----------------------------End of story (Which I know,no need call CASE already)-----------------------

I willingly and knowingly paid double price of what a keyboard is really worth.....but when got faulty one, why the shop doesnt want to exchange even during 1 hr after sale??? That made me really frustrated.......

I vowed myself.....from today onwards, I will get "Blacks & Whites" on every single claim by shopseller in whatever items I buy in future in SINGAPORE.....

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:29 am

shop like these are really killing customer off. this used to be the case in HK along nathan road in tsim sha tsui but the HK tourist board clean them up.

it was never like this in the old days in lucky plaza. i got quite a few gadgets from there myself. prices were competitive between stores. i guessed now it's all greed to make a fast buck.

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 9:04 pm

This is the one thing about Singapore that I really hate - whenever I enter into a transaction, I worry about being cheated. It's gets tiring after a while.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:38 am

Can't say I feel the same in normal shops . . . if you tend to try to wrangle a bargain from places where it is possible then it is a matter of caveat emptor.

:) You should try living in Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines etc . . .

'nuff said Image

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 1:03 pm

Right, it's relative to what you are used to. Having to go to war with my real estate agent recently though has left a bad taste in my mouth and generally weary of doing business here...

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 8:43 am

You should have gone to Best Denki at Takashimaya across the street.
I work to live and not live to work.

enlvi

i Have got cheated in Internet Cafe in Lucky plaza

Post by enlvi » Wed, 25 Feb 2009 7:09 pm

not the same..but also happen in Lucky plaza.....in phillipine internet cafe shop..
the phillipine lady did not want to check the record book to see how many time I have gone there as I have gone there for several times and can have the voucher..she seemed to ignore the promotion that she had told me..

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:57 am

Out of curiosity, what is law here if you handed the shop owner the broken keyboard, helped yourself to another one and walked out - done openly i.e. not dishonest or deceptive. Turn the tables, tell the owner if her doesn't like it, he can call the police.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:44 pm

^ Theft, same as everywhere else. You can't just hep yourself to product if you are dissatisfied with your purchase.

Think about it . . .

'nuff said Image

GarethPhua

Post by GarethPhua » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:54 am

I think the lack of ethics and honesty in business is really quite shameful for us Singaporeans.

Mr.Jelly, I'd suggest in future, get stuff like these from established shops such as Best Denki or Harvey Norman. There's bound to be one in town area.

Sorry to hear about this man.
Experienced horrible service or superb service? Come share your story at Bouquets & Brickbats

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 2:04 pm

GarethPhua wrote:I think the lack of ethics and honesty in business is really quite shameful for us Singaporeans.
That's pretty rich coming from a guy who basically posts meaningless one-liners all over the forum only to advertise his website but not really contributing anything at all to the community here in general wouldn't you say? :^o

:roll:

GarethPhua

Post by GarethPhua » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:33 pm

Answers? wrote:
GarethPhua wrote:I think the lack of ethics and honesty in business is really quite shameful for us Singaporeans.
That's pretty rich coming from a guy who basically posts meaningless one-liners all over the forum only to advertise his website but not really contributing anything at all to the community here in general wouldn't you say? :^o

:roll:
How am I not contributing when I have given some of my own tips in a couple of threads?

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic57662.html

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic57730.html

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#383675

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#383673

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#383559

Just because I have just joined, have a website where a platform for people is provided, and have it in my signature, I am seen as not contributing?

Perhaps you can share with me your idea of contribution that is meaningful?
Experienced horrible service or superb service? Come share your story at Bouquets & Brickbats

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 8:37 pm

rattlesnake wrote:Out of curiosity, what is law here if you handed the shop owner the broken keyboard, helped yourself to another one and walked out - done openly i.e. not dishonest or deceptive. Turn the tables, tell the owner if her doesn't like it, he can call the police.
Good idea. Put the useless one back. Walk out with new one. You still have the receipt. It doesn't say which keyboard you have if they're the same...
Or..make a sign. Stand outside their store for a while with this sign that says: "Don't shop here. No returns on faulty goods." It might help you to feel better and it could actually get the action you want.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Despite the fact that the police didn't help, calling them was good. Hard to believe the shop owner would enjoy this on-the-scene publicity.
I've not experienced this anywhere in Sing. Thanks for posting this. We can all learn from this experience.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 8:54 pm

Well I think many will be very surprised just how many copy products are on the market here.

My scandyna PA system for example with guaratee and all, is also a bloody copy from China. Scandyna Denmark have confirmed this, after i sent them the model number. The agent here refused to repair a broken piece on the frame and didn't have the spare part, was really rude and very unprofessional which made me think to complain to the head office. They will get what they deserve :wink: eventually.