Singapore Expats

Providing services in Singapore without WP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Global Player
Regular
Regular

Providing services in Singapore without WP

Post by Global Player » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 3:21 am

Hi all,

if I have a company registered in Europe but providing (one time) services in Singapore, do I need a work permit?

E.g.
Company Type: Freelancer (registered)
Company HQ: Paris, France (liable for taxation in France)
Company Scope: Providing French language training worldwide

The total duration of the stay in Singapore would be about 3-4 weeks (French language trainings with different customers). Trainer is EU citizen, no special visa requirements. Training fee is payed directly to a French account and taxed in France via income tax. Does the trainer need a Singapore work permit for these 3-4 weeks?

Thanks!
Global Player

BTW: please no discussion about flying overseas to provide a language course. This is just an example :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:11 pm

I though you worked in the IT sector for a big MNC who had an office here in Singapore and were afraid your CV would end up in your employer's place of business?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Global Player
Regular
Regular

Post by Global Player » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 2:32 am

Yes, and I still work for the MNC. Applications with other companies I've put on hold in the current economic situation. In parallel I setup an own enterprise (with associates) . So currently we evaluate where to register, in Europe (as mentioned in my post above) or local via http://www.asiabizsetup.com/.

The preferred way is to register in EU and provide services as mentioned above. To come back to my question, does the trainer need a WP?

Global Player

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 7:05 am

Three options....

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _Pass.html

If this doesn't work then the hard way, Either EntrePass or the Employer/Client here applying for your Employment Pass.

Not able to see anything else suitable but a call to MOM might give you some added insight.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Global Player
Regular
Regular

Post by Global Player » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 3:35 am

I've never checked the "Others" section on the MOM page so far. Miscellaneous Work Pass was new for me, definitively an option to check. Also the "Work Pass Exempt Activities" might be applicable. Have to follow up here...

Thanks for your help.