Singapore Expats

Deposit Withheld

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:28 pm

You'd know Barney O'Sullivan then... I used to sail out out of VYC, by the way... still a member - go figure!

Oh, and yeh, you're still wrong, btw :P I guess the world looks different when you're actually standing up with your big girl panties whre they are supposed to be :P :P :P :P

Friendly slagging aside, I'm still sticking with my original view on this - I think you were a bit out of order and slamming a single comment. If we were down at the Watto Bay I'd make you buy me a schooner, ya dag!

Even you're better than this - one comment - sheesh... seen better from you in the past.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:36 pm

You calling me a dag? Tsk, tsk . . . probably had the Oak as your local!

VYC? Hehe . . . Know it well . . . Spent too many years at Cranbook getting a good education. Sorry, make that a paid-for education.

You may stick with your opinion . . . and I shall stick with mine. The OP's post was completely devoid of any substance and came across as simply a ragging on an individual and then a whole nation. There were no details . . . nothing.

Just a ragging.

Oh, and just to make it all better, we had a big lunch at Sails the day before Doyles, after which we spent a few days down the south coast.

Geez, I had forgotten how pretty it is down there . . .

'nuff said Image

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:48 pm

Whitlam boy - it's the Oaks - and no - I only ever picked up QF trolleys there in my time! Yes, nice down the South Coast. I always loved Tarthra becuase you could then get back into the valley (Eden). Yum cheeses there.

Sails - you mean the one at McMahons' Point - best to PM me as we're hijakcing this thread - I hate doing that.

Sure- agree to disagree - no harm in that. We've done that beofer. But you're still wrong LOL :) Jokes

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Deposit Withheld

Post by Plavt » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:47 pm

robin37 wrote:Our landlord is withholding S$20,000 deposit money from us they will not answer the phone, fax or email I know where their office is and I know their home address I am getting very angry and need advice.
Just what is the landlord's reason for doing so (point mentioned by QRM)? I know the answer, should you care to give one, may show some disagreement between you and the said person(s) but unless we know more it will be hard for others to advise you.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 7:55 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
ozchick wrote: Clearly Vaucluse, the OP is upset. I would be too in his situation. But your comments don't help. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all? Your tone lets the Aussie side down very badly. Go and have a lie down, now there's a good chap.
Actually Ozchick. No. My mother didn't say that. Possibly she didn't want me to grow up being a scared little drone, not speaking up when required. Of a different opinion? Keep it to yourself, I guess is your motto . . . but then why are you speaking up now and not being nice to me.
Didn't your mother ever tell you . . yaddah yadah yaddah. You're boring and predictable, Ozchick.

Would you speak up?

How about I share with you my favourite piece of literature:

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.

* When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Martin Niemoeller

You attitude lets the Aussie side down very badly . . . look at history and see that 'we' have been in almost every war in the last 100+ years
sierra2469alpha wrote:Nooooo - it was just ONE sentence - or are you wearing your sensitive panties again, V :P I just think you and WIMH are taking one sentence a little out of context until we hear back from the OP. Context in text is everything as you know.

And the wine at Doyles - (the "...with friends..." - how much did you pay them ? :cool: It serves you right for going to a tourist place :P
Lucky you're just jiggling your hook in front regarding Australians.

Cheers, P
Sensitive panties? Nah . . . And now that Ozchick has thrown her small-size hat ion the ring it should develop into a nice thread. :)

Tourist place? Doyles and the Waddo Bay? Harrumph! I'll have you know that we owned a little boatshed right next to Doyles before it became all fancy and stuff and stuff.
Plus, it's our local, as per my moniker here (grew up 5 minutes down the road)! :lol:
Don't join a debating team Vaucluse. You're not cut out for this.
Mm......you've clearly got some problem...not just a lack of education...Asperger's Syndrome?
Keep posting so that we can narrow down the symptoms....(Those of you with knowledge of Asperger's will see numerous pointers...e.g over-reacting, taking things literally, inability to sympathise with others etc).
Apologies to non-Aussies on this site. I take no pride in my compatriot's boorish posts. :-| And it may not be his fault.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 8:02 pm

ozchick wrote: Don't join a debating team Vaucluse. You're not cut out for this.
Mm......you've clearly got some problem...not just a lack of education...Asperger's Syndrome?
Keep posting so that we can narrow down the symptoms....(Those of you with knowledge of Asperger's will see numerous pointers...e.g over-reacting, taking things literally, inability to sympathise with others etc).
Apologies to non-Aussies on this site. I take no pride in my compatriot's boorish posts. :-| And it may not be his fault.
Oh dear, too late . . . debating was one of my strong points, but then we never debated with non-English speakers . . . sorry Ozchick, better luck next time.

Lack of education? Yes, possibly . . . my parents would be sad to read that, but then you can tell all of this from a few posts.

Oh. Your education level is???

Please, there is no need to apologise for anyone aside from yourself, though your ego does seem to allow you to take the liberty.

Clearly a person who labels herself as Ozchick simply exudes pure claaaarrrrssseeee!

:wave:

'nuff said Image

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:22 am

Vaucluse, how rational would you be if someone owed you twenty grand? That is a huge amount of money. Of course it was a stupid thing to say, but I have more than once wondered why Singapore didn't have a third-party organisation who held tenant's deposits... Doesn't mean I think all Singaporeans are thieves, but just that it creates a very difficult situation for tenants when money they are (assuming that this is the case with the OP) rightly owed.

OP, I would advise getting a lawyer, and writing a letter demanding your money back from your LL who, as someone else said, probably thinks you're leaving the country and if he holds off long enough, he'll get his pay day...

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

ow..

Post by notwavingdrowning » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 2:16 pm

Back to basics....How did the OP fare??

We dont have a great relationship with our landlord..Ie The toilet started to leak/pour out of the base and we needed a plumber URGENTLY...he said it was our fault it was broken "as we were too heavy for the toilet!" Seriously...We had to pay...

This type of attitude and we are perfect tenants...overpay on time and have not made even the slightest mark on the place..

So not having a great relationship, I fear nonsense when we depart..I would love to know exactly what to do if that occurs..I think its contact a lawyer ASAP from what I read..I do agree however, that the money needs to be held independantly...Its too much cash to be held by individuals..

And contrary to popular belief, not all expats are here on massive company paid packages..some people I know had to scrape up the deposit to secure a home..So a loss of this type of cash would be debilitating..
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Re: ow..

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 8:54 pm

notwavingdrowning wrote:Back to basics....How did the OP fare??

We dont have a great relationship with our landlord..Ie The toilet started to leak/pour out of the base and we needed a plumber URGENTLY...he said it was our fault it was broken "as we were too heavy for the toilet!" Seriously...We had to pay.....
that just made me laugh out loud... must be all those cupcakes :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:41 pm

k1w1 wrote:Vaucluse, how rational would you be if someone owed you twenty grand? That is a huge amount of money. Of course it was a stupid thing to say, but I have more than once wondered why Singapore didn't have a third-party organisation who held tenant's deposits... Doesn't mean I think all Singaporeans are thieves, but just that it creates a very difficult situation for tenants when money they are (assuming that this is the case with the OP) rightly owed.

OP, I would advise getting a lawyer, and writing a letter demanding your money back from your LL who, as someone else said, probably thinks you're leaving the country and if he holds off long enough, he'll get his pay day...
I'd probably be a bit more rational in my labelling the whole country . . . and I'd probably go overboard on rimming the landlord.

Luckily we've always had good landlords in Singapore . . . had a shocker in Thailand and got ours back in a very childish way . . . try having to pay an 8-month deposit and not have it refunded for the most ridiculous reasons.
Friggin' Thai bitch. Not friggin' Thailand or Thai people. (though there is that, of course)

Easy answer from all: Lawyer. Letter.

'nuff said Image

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Re: ow..

Post by notwavingdrowning » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 8:10 am

cbavasi wrote:
notwavingdrowning wrote:Back to basics....How did the OP fare??

We dont have a great relationship with our landlord..Ie The toilet started to leak/pour out of the base and we needed a plumber URGENTLY...he said it was our fault it was broken "as we were too heavy for the toilet!" Seriously...We had to pay.....
that just made me laugh out loud... must be all those cupcakes :)

:shock: :lol: well yes, its pretty funny..Pass me another cupcake please..I have toilets to break..The diet does not start tilll Monday!
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:46 am

notwavingdrowning - I just love how people will say stuff like that and not blink. It's like "wahhhh??????" When I was pregnant (and not very much - just that puffy looking stage) I had a shopkeeper tell me a shirt wouldn't fit me. I was with a friend and she must have heard me say I was pregnant b/c all of a sudden the shopkeeper exclaims really loudly - "Oh you're pregnant - I thought you were just FAT"... my friend was horrified but I seriously had to laugh b/c she was just so matter of fact about it.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sun, 29 Mar 2009 1:30 am

Vaucluse wrote:Friggin' Thai bitch. Not friggin' Thailand or Thai people. (though there is that, of course)
there is what V? bitch? Thai bitch? or thai people bitch or thailand bitch?
;)

rluk

Post by rluk » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:12 pm

I am interested in how this situation turned out? (the original post) Did you get the $20k back?

Like many others I have a substantial bond sitting in the landlord's bank account. What if they simply don't have the money when the lease is up? No amount of lawyers letters, or even court orders, will get your money back.

Not paying the last 2 month's rent seems the most logical option. Although I have a fairly good relationship with my landlady, and don't want to needlessly be a prick and cause trouble, but the power (i.e. cash) is all in their hands otherwise. I think I will at least have a discussion on the process for repayment of the bond before I pay the last two months rent. Any other useful tactics?

BTW If the Singapore Government is looking for an independent third party to hold onto the $billions of fixed term, interest free residential tenancy bonds out there, I am happy to volunteer :D

Feynman

Deposit Withheld

Post by Feynman » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:52 pm

I have been reading posts at this site for near on 5 years now and never felt the need to respond or register until now

Vaucluse .... for the last couple of years Ive seen your posts.
Jesus what an unfunny arrogant snob you are ...
How in the hell have you survived in Asia so long with such an attitute ...
(* no wonder thailand didnt agree with you *)

You need to grab a hold of yourself (yes your parents always told you
are the best of the best) but when you deal with real people this type of
disposition will glaring shine through

Ozchick has been a genuine poster throughout and yet again reliving your days on the playground you fall back into the "bully" mode.

I think the only country in asia your type could survive in "is" singapore where the superficial override the genuine

apologise to this board and to ozchick ...and let the healing begin from your side