Singapore Expats

I commited a crime - effect on EP renewal?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
rohan1971

I commited a crime - effect on EP renewal?

Post by rohan1971 » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:20 am

while shopping, I was unfortunate that I missed paying for one item and reported to police. A crime was registered and in court I paid the fine. My EP is due for renewal. Will this theft conviction effect my renewal - anyone knows any such cases? Will this effect my PR application? I applied PR about two weeks back and case was registered after that.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:54 pm

This calls for a special maneuver called the "Stick you head between yer legs and kiss your arse goodbye!". So called because nothing else describes the maneuver as accurately.

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote correctly. You are telling us that you realized you left the store without paying for something and YOU WENT TO THE POLICE instead of just returning to the store to pay for it?

OR

Security picked you up outside of Mustafa as you left and called in the police and then the store pressed charges. Which?

What I cannot understand is HOW you can MISS paying for something if it was in your shopping basket/cart? Or did you "put it into your purse/pocket/shirt" by "mistake" and conveniently forgot about it?

Please enlighten all of us as I would guess everybody who has read your post is wondering the same thing as I am but are too polite to ask!

:-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rohan1971

Post by rohan1971 » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 1:59 pm

I was carrying few items in my hand - no basket- and this one - a small sewing needle, may be $2 of worth, I kept in my pocket..it was falling all over the places. I paid for all items but forgot about this. Silly me! And security pounded me though no alarm went off!

The question is how authorities treat this! Will this silly so called crime will cause my EP extension to be rejected? I was naive that I did not fight the case in court though judge gave me option! I thought it is just a matter small fine.

I need to know if anyone has ever come across a case where EP/PR has been rejected on these grounds?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 6:40 pm

Nobody in their right mind puts something that is unpaid for in their pocket. Period. Unless they are bona fide idiots. What you did is normally called shoplifting and they may well not renew your PR. In fact, they may well cancel it and toss you out of the country on your ear. At least one would hope so anyway. They don't need new residents screwing up the "low crime doesn't mean no crime" sayings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rohan1971

Post by rohan1971 » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 8:37 pm

Ya. Crime of a century. Shoplifting of a $2 needle when I actually paid for stuff worth $150. And you are right..I am bona fied idiot. No doubt.

And thanks for encoureging words...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:10 pm

If you will look at most shoplifters you will see the same pattern. Not saying you are a shoplifter by habit, but the modus operandi is the same. Most only take some small inexpensive thing while going about their shopping. This is what makes these types so baffling to the rest of the world. I believe the word is kleptomania.

Anyway, Mustafa's security personal are some of the best in Singapore and they don't miss too much. Guess they have to be when people keeping forgetting to carry their items in a basket and using their pockets instead. :roll:

Oh, it's not the value that matters. It's the action and trust that is destroyed.

sasa11

Post by sasa11 » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:03 pm

[quote="rohan1971"]I was carrying few items in my hand - no basket- and this one - a small sewing needle, may be $2 of worth, I kept in my pocket..it was falling all over the places. I paid for all items but forgot about this. Silly me! And security pounded me though no alarm went off!

The question is how authorities treat this! Will this silly so called crime will cause my EP extension to be rejected? I was naive that I did not fight the case in court though judge gave me option! I thought it is just a matter small fine.

I need to know if anyone has ever come across a case where EP/PR has been rejected on these grounds?[/quote]

Rohan what you described sound highly impossible to me. I kind of doubt you are telling the truth. First of all, how can you purhcase "a" needle? Second, how can "a" needle cost $2? Third, how would the security know there is "a" needle in your pocket unless he has been observing you? If he has been observing you, he would probably see that it was a genuine case of forgetfulness.

If you truly did not do it why plead guilty? Appeal your case and pray that your conviction gets overturned.

Anway, if you unintentionally forgot to pay for an item at a store, it is not a crime. This is because there was no criminal intention (ie mens rea) present. Just tell the judge and the police it was a genuine case of forgetfulness and there is no reason for you to steal something so cheap when you have paid for your other purchases. I doubt the public prosecutor would actually prosecute such a case which you have described. I doubt you are telling the whole truth.