Singapore Expats

extending maids contract- should we use the agent or not

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
gonzales
Regular
Regular

extending maids contract- should we use the agent or not

Post by gonzales » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 5:23 pm

Hi,
our Maid is with us 18 months & has told us she wants to remain with us for anothr 2 years after her contract expires this year, this is fine by us also. I am debating whether to continue the contract through the agency or just make an arrangement with her directly.

Some concerns:
-the paperwork may be a hassle for me
-any issues arising must be dealt with by me (none to date)
-she might change her behaviour if she know I don't have agency backing
-am i obliged to remain with the agency as they sourced her initially/

anyone with similar experiences good or bad may be able to shed some light, thanks.
G.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:15 am

Extending the maids contract should be pretty straight forward. Go to MOM and ask them how adn they will lead you through the process. Worth saving the Agents Fee and your Maid will also be happy as the Agent may come after her for a Fee as well. If you can do what's best for the maid not only your schedule.

BTW check your original contract with the Agent to amke sure you are not bound to re-use them if you contune with this maid past the end date.
Be Like Water

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Thu, 26 Feb 2009 9:09 pm

out of curiousity, how much is the renewal fee?

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 2:55 am

From memory the Agents usually charge the Maid 3 months or more of their salary on top of repaying relocation/training loan. It really is leeching of the poorest of the poor. That said the poorest of poor are probably the maids in the home country looking after the expat maid children whilst they are away (this is very common).
Be Like Water

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: extending maids contract- should we use the agent or not

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 7:18 am

gonzales wrote:Hi,
our Maid is with us 18 months & has told us she wants to remain with us for anothr 2 years after her contract expires this year, this is fine by us also. I am debating whether to continue the contract through the agency or just make an arrangement with her directly.

Some concerns:
-the paperwork may be a hassle for me
-any issues arising must be dealt with by me (none to date)
-she might change her behaviour if she know I don't have agency backing
-am i obliged to remain with the agency as they sourced her initially/

anyone with similar experiences good or bad may be able to shed some light, thanks.
G.
We've had the agent renew the paperwork for us each time we've renewed a helper's paperwork. I think the last time, in Feb of '07 it was $500 and it is money well spent. I'm not good with red tape, and this makes the problem a non-issue. I'm sure it has gotten easier over the years as the MOM website gets better, but nothing is easier than writing the check and forgetting about it :wink: