Singapore Expats

SPR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nunnun

SPR

Post by nunnun » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 5:26 pm

I got my SPR in Oct last year. I am thinking of quitting my job and preparing myself for marriage.
My boyfriend is Singaporean and we are planning to get married in Dec this year.
I do not quite understand how SPR works.
If I decide not to work in future, what will happen to my SPR when it expires in 5years?
Some friends told me that the government may not extend my SPR if I do not continue to work here.
Is that true?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 6:37 pm

If you received your PR under the skilled/technical scheme and you aren't working then it is a good possibility your re-entry permit will not be renewed. However, if you do get married, you can probably have your PR changed to one based on family ties. It's not your PR that is renewed, it's the re-entry permit and it's renewed for periods of 5 years. You have to submit you last 3 years tax returns when applying for the re-entry permit so if you have gotten married and no longer work, then yes, it could be a problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers