Singapore Expats

Linksys on StarHub

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Dealer
Regular
Regular

Linksys on StarHub

Post by Dealer » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:11 am

Has anyone tried to use a Linksys router with StarHub as I am trying to setup a Linksys WRT54G2 router but it can't find the internet?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:43 pm

Do you have the cable modem?

I use your setup without issue but you must have the cable modem, and it must be programmed to connect to the cable.

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:52 pm

It's a StarHub hub a sort of black box stood up with loads of flashing lights (sorry for the techie talk :D ).

On the back is a RJ45 that you can plug your computer straight into or a router. When I plug the Linksys router in it says local conection only and no internet!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 1:00 pm

Are you plugged into the correct spot on the router? There is only one. And you should NOT be using a crossover cable for this connection.

Can you connect to the internet directly from your computer?

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 3:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Are you plugged into the correct spot on the router? There is only one. And you should NOT be using a crossover cable for this connection.
Yes I am as at first I used the already conected cable to the DLink router.
I thought about the crossover issue so I used the cable that came with the router after the new router did not work with the original one.
Strong Eagle wrote:Can you connect to the internet directly from your computer?
Yes no problem and when I revert back to using my StarHub supplied DLink router everything works.

The reason I want to change is so I can get the correct port forwarding setup on the Linksys router as I want to use IPCam which is also Linksys.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 7:09 pm

after i RTFM online, try the following...

connect normal network cable from starhub dlink to your linksys. your linksys should have 5-port at the back. look for the INTERNET port (yellow coloured) and connect up the network cable. check on the front of the linksys for the internet icon which look like planet saturn. if the connection is successful from the starhub dlink, the LED should be flashing green.

on a PC, connect another network cable to the 4-port on your linksys. open your internet browser and on the URL, goto 192.168.1.1. a password request will pop-up. leave the username blank and enter admin as the password. you should now go into the linksys configuration page. check the linksys is set to auto config for DHCP. check the online status if the linksys is getting a IP address from the dlink.

if still doesnt work, power cycle the dlink first, and then the linksys. if still still doesnt work, factory reset the linksys.

btw, have you consider using dynamic dns to use with your IP camera?

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 8:09 pm

Durian,

I am using www.dyndns.com for a DDNS server as I have used it before with the same camera while I was in Spain (before comeing here). I used all the same settings but the StarHub DLink router seems not to like the Linksys IPCam.

I read through the manual I got on the CD with the router but not the one online so thanks for finding that information and I will give it a try.

Friday night and I am messing with a blooming IPCam, sod it I am going on the lash, more tomorrow.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 9:05 pm

another way if you dont want to use DDNS is to get fixed IP address from starhub. then you would use port forwarding and assigned the NAT IP to your IP camera. i use the excellent AXIS 213PTZ and panasonic BL-C10.

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 8:30 am

I didn't know that I could get a fixed IP address from starhub, I will go down that route as once I get that I can also setup an FTP server.

Thank for the help.

peacekeepa

Post by peacekeepa » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 4:34 pm

did you try power cycling the cable modem? typically they bind to one MAC address, which is why your DLink would work but not the linksys

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 1:16 am

Its been a while since i messed with linksys
but my first guess would be your modem is on a different IP than your router
FInd out what the modem is using for example 192.168.0.1 ( by connect straight to it with no router) then disconnect your modem and connect your new router and in the config screen ( either HTML or set up disk ) make sure the router is on the same subnet for example 192.168.0.2 .

Can;t quite remember whether your gateway for other things is then the router or the modem IP but somebody will pipe up

Cheers

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Mon, 23 Feb 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks everyone I have sorted it and it wasn't hardware it was bl**dy Norton Internet Security's Firewall, sheesh!

I sometimes think that Norton is becomeing a virus itself. :o

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 6:27 pm

good to know you all sorted now.

yeah, norton suite is a bit lardy on resources too. when your subscription is up, checkout eset nod32.