Singapore Expats

HELP ! any Canadians out there ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

HELP ! any Canadians out there ?

Post by ffsgrelier » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:27 pm

A good friend of mine has just heard her family has to relocate to Canada in a short space of time to a place called Saskatoon. She has 3 children 6,4 and almost 2 years old. We were wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the place and any information they could pass on please ( Nice part of town to live in, housing, primary schools etc ....).
I believe time is off the essence and she will unfortnately not have a chance to go there prior to the big move to get a feel for the place herself.
Thanks a million for any info.
Frederique

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:35 am

Ah Saskatoon Saskatchewan, if there was a God one could easily say that Saskatchewan would be her home and she would be a Husky UofS Alumni!! At least your friend is going to the best part of Canada - beats the hell out of Regina!! Pretty easy to figure things out once you get there...not exactly a big city - easy to navigate, every part is the best part to live. Lucky friend!
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

Saskatoon

Post by ffsgrelier » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Barczar
Many thanks for your reply, sounded positive compared to what a few friends had mentionned about Saskatoon being a bit of a 'hick' city.
Any other information you could throw our way by any chance ?
Cheers.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 8:43 pm

I've heard winters can be extremely cold and housing prices on the high side as compared to Ottawa, Edmonton and Winnipeg but then again with the property slump, things may be different now.

Sorry I can't offer much more.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:41 pm

I'm a Canadian... born in Vancouver, raised in Calgary... spent many summer months with my uncle in Saskatchewan. They lived in a tiny town called Kamsack.

Having said that: Saskatchewan is flat... it is the breadbasket of Canada... much grain growing. It is a poor part of the country. There are a number of migrant groups in Saskatchewan, with large numbers of Russian, Ukraine, and other immigrants who fled the Communist takeover in Russia.

So, on the one hand you need to realize that Saskatoon is sort of an epicentre, a town of major size, relatively speaking. There is an interesting culture and history. You _could_ become involved in local events, everything from celebrating cultural heritage... including 3 day traditional Russian weddings to 'modern' events like rodeo, to Saskatoon's and Saskatchewan's efforts to build the community.

OTOH, it's a small town. There isn't much besides Saskatoon, Regina, and a LOT of open space. You will be living in a relatively undeveloped area... good schools... sure.

Winters in Canada can be bitterly cold, especially on the prairie. OTOH, you deal with it... school was only canceled when temperatures reach minus 30 F. First frost in September, last snow in April... long winters. But wonderful spring, excellent summer, good fall, Indian summer to die for.

If you are used to big city and all the amenities, and insist on same in Saskatoon, you will be disappointed. Make a move with the idea that you will meet many interesting people, in a land that is mostly unoccupied and you'll have a great time.

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

saskatoon

Post by ffsgrelier » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:53 am

Hi again,
Many thanks for your responses.
Sounds like an interesting place, the temperature change will more than likely be a bit of a shock to the system after Singapore but then again it may be refreshing :D .
Anyone with inside info re schools, it would be much easier to pick a place to live near a good school is to avoid moving the boys too often.
Thanks for any other info you all think relevant.

EveL

Post by EveL » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 3:22 pm

Hi,

I was born in Saskatoon although I grew up on the west coast (Vancouver Island) but returned to Saskatoon for University. Pretty much all of my very large family live in Saskatoon still. Just had my sister over for a visit to Sinapore from Saskatoon. She was very happy for a break from the cold as it is -28 there at the moment.

Saskatoon is a nice city. They call it the city of bridges as the river divides the city in two. The south side of the River is nicer.
Winters are harsh, but as was said before, you deal with it and life goes on. You just wear more layers. It does get the most sunshine of anywhere in Canada so even if it is cold, its sunny. The worst part of year is the spring when the snow melts and all the grit from the road is left behind. Dirty spring we call it.

Anywhere around the university is really great. Big tree lined streets and lots of space around the houses, and there are loads of schools in the area as well. My 5 siblings all went to pre and elementry school there and my parents never had any complaints.

It is definately a small city compared to Singapore. They are very lucky as Saskatoon is a great home base to explore the rest of Saskatchewan. I miss it almost every day.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Info

Post by notwavingdrowning » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:12 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon

If you have not already..Loads of info there..Good luck..Sounds like a great place, and great weather! I love the cold..
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Post by jdaniel » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 5:57 am

not to diss anyone but depending on where your friend is from etc it would be a HUGE change. Life is a bit different out in the prairie provinces