Singapore Expats

Changing Filenames in Bulk

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Changing Filenames in Bulk

Post by Rich D » Sun, 08 Feb 2009 10:39 pm

The filenames I chose a few years back to store documents have now proved to be unworkable. Consequently I need to do a lot of selective 'finding and replacing' or spend a good number of the remaining hours I have left on this earth doing repetitive typing.

I am aware that there a few free downloads to do this in batch but, not being as tech savvy as clearly a lot of the contributors to this section of the forum are, I am concerned not to download some extra goodies that either erase my or render my computer unusable too.

Recommendations (preferably from personal prevous experience) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 8:01 am

Possibly not the easiest to use but definitely the most powerful

http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 1:32 am

Many thanks, Strong Eagle, I'll give it a go and try not to come back and pester everyone again!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 6:16 am

Feel free to ask about how to set up the formatting lines... once it sinks in how it works it is pretty straightforward... it's the sinking in part that took me a while.

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 1:11 pm

Well you were right about the ease of use issue. It took me about half an hour before I was confident enough to click the 'rename' button but once I had then I did in about an hour what I thought would take me a week.

Still a lot to do though. The operations I want to do at the moment are simple find and replace text but later I may try to add some counters. Let me have a look and try first but thanks for the offer. I don't have as much time to contribute to this forum as I used to, and would like to, these days but I knew I could come here and get useful and reliable information.

Many thanks, SE.