Singapore Expats

Limit on number of social visits ??

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
louy
Chatter
Chatter

Limit on number of social visits ??

Post by louy » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 8:26 pm

Is there a limit on the number of social visits, or duration of visits to Singapore within a year.

Is it allowed to actually live in Singapore, but just leave for a couple of days every time the passport stamp expires.

Is there any downfalls of doing this long term.

And would this having any impact on any possible future application for EP or PR ?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 8:52 pm

you can come in and out of singapore for social visit many times, but if you are doing it for the purpose of extending your stay, alarm bells will probably be ringing at immigration.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Limit on number of social visits ??

Post by ksl » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:52 pm

louy wrote:Is there a limit on the number of social visits, or duration of visits to Singapore within a year.

Is it allowed to actually live in Singapore, but just leave for a couple of days every time the passport stamp expires.

Is there any downfalls of doing this long term.

And would this having any impact on any possible future application for EP or PR ?
Yes you can come and go until they refuse to let you stay, you don't actually have to leave if it's a Long term visit of 6 months, you just renew it, when it is running out if you have dependants here.

In the long term your tax liabilities change, because in most Countries of residence you are only allowed out of your own Country for 6 months and if staying in Singapore without leaving, will mean you are resident under the taxation laws if working abroad, if i'm not wrong! So much depends on what you are actually doing on a social visit pass. If staying here longer than the legal 6 months or 183 days I think.

Working freelance outside the country the money earned may well be tax free for some, although do not take my word for it, because some Countries like the USA have a double taxation, maybe SE or SMS know more about it, if you need to PM them. But I am quite sure that Singapore is wanting rich people/talented people to move here, with the carrot being no tax, if your income is earned outside the Country.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Feb 2009 5:06 pm

You will eventually get caught out doing the VISA runs to neighbouring countries. We used to do it all the time back in the '80's but that's been tightened up now.

You cannot rent an apartment/flat/room here in Singapore without having a proper LTSVP/dependent/student or work visa. So you would have to live in a hotel/flophouse. Depending on how many times you do it, or when ICA gets wise, you might come into the country and be given only 3 days to clear out with an none-return ticket. ICA is pretty clued in about these things....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:27 am

Louy mate, just go to the ICA, both of you and explain the situation. Many years ago I managed to renew my SVP 6 times without leaving Singapore by just going to the ICA every time to renew!