Singapore Expats

French/European Masters - help?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Min_Ong

French/European Masters - help?

Post by Min_Ong » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 2:23 pm

Hihi, would lurrrrrrveee some kind help here!

I intend to apply to do a MSc in business modules (not MBA) in France or Switzerland. At the moment however, I'm at a complete lost.

I've gotten the handbook of courses in English for France from CampusFrance, but I need more information.

I only have a basic bachelors (local uni) and am a total fresh graduate. What are my chances of getting into one? And which ones?

If it helps, I'm learning french (basic) at the moment.

I'm pretty confused about the Swiss unis, it appears they all require fluency in German or French.

And many websites only have very limited information in english.

Looking at the current conditions, I decided to further my studies now instead of later. For personal development and exposure. Plus a good and useful education, preferably with internship.

Would appreciate all advice!
Blessed blessed festives.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: French/European Masters - help?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 5:57 pm

Min_Ong wrote: I intend to apply to do a MSc in business modules (not MBA) in France or Switzerland. At the moment however, I'm at a complete lost.

I've gotten the handbook of courses in English for France from CampusFrance, but I need more information.
Google is your best friend, or any other search engine. First familiarize yourself a bit with French educational system that you know which schools or university programs are on right level for you.
Min_Ong wrote: I only have a basic bachelors (local uni) and am a total fresh graduate. What are my chances of getting into one? And which ones?

If it helps, I'm learning french (basic) at the moment.
Not enough information, what you actually studied, but in general yes you can get into masters program in university or graduate schools.Obviously you need to choose the schools or programs that take fresh graduates. Most of them do for certain programs.

Only way to really find out is to apply and wait for the results. The good thing for you is that most of the programs want to sound "international" so there is a kind of a competition on how many different nationalities they can have in their programs.

There are hundreds of degree programs to choose from in French, in English and bi-lingual in both. Or even mixing more languages.

It is also a question about money, private post-graduate schools will charge you a high tuition fee. Public University programs charge only nominal fees (but unlikely to have programs in English only). Check for the different scholarships too.

Min_Ong wrote:I'm pretty confused about the Swiss unis, it appears they all require fluency in German or French.

And many websites only have very limited information in english.
It's not they're primary or even secondary or even 3rd language. A bit like looking information on NUS website in German or in Spanish. Prepares you for the fact that if you live there, you might need to speak some local language just to survive.
Min_Ong wrote:Looking at the current conditions, I decided to further my studies now instead of later. For personal development and exposure. Plus a good and useful education, preferably with internship.
Note that most programs start in September, so you'll have time to prepare for your applications (if you really want to go, don't apply for one program only but at least 5 rather 10 different ones, so if 80% are rejected you'll still have two to choose from) and learn some more French.

Most post graduate degree programs have a mandatory internship at the end (3-6 months).

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 2:50 am

thanks PPF.

i read up about the european system. i should be able to continue on a masters.

the problem is to know which will realistically accept my application. the applications can cost around 125euros each, varying for different schools. having to short list a few on my part is the part that's troubling me. i cant simply apply for all the schools.

i realise my advantage in being singaporean. i spoke with a school representative and she noted that there were no singaporeans in their masters program as yet.

im still carrying on my french lessons. now to take the gmat.

ahh. but choosing the school!

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Sun, 28 Dec 2008 5:47 pm

Min_Ong wrote:i realise my advantage in being singaporean. i spoke with a school representative and she noted that there were no singaporeans in their masters program as yet.
really? out of curiosity, may I ask which school is that?

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 2:30 am

She was the EDHEC representative.
I'll leave her words at that.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:59 am

Out of curiosity, pourquoi La France?

You have public universities, grandes écoles and écoles de commerce in France. It may be best to talk with the French Embassy (in my time they had a service that advised on education in France - they also gave me my scholarship that allowed me to do my postgrad in Sciences Po Paris) and see if they could advise you better.

Bonne chance.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: French/European Masters - help?

Post by Plavt » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 2:53 am

Min_Ong wrote:
I'm pretty confused about the Swiss unis, it appears they all require fluency in German or French.
No surprise French and German are the official languages of Switzerland along with Italian and Romansh.

Zed

Post by Zed » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:31 am

Hi Min_Ong,

actually there have been Singaporeans going to Edhec, but on exchange programs.

Edhec Business School is well ranked (in the top 5) in French so called "Grandes Ecoles de Commerce".

You might also check out with Sciences-Po (as quoted by Petales Soufflez!) which is not totally a Business School but is very well considered in France and have quite interesting Master's programs.

Good question asked: why France ?

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 2:55 am

First and foremost, thank you for replying.

I narrowed my choices to France for no particular reasons except that I've started learning the language prior to my decision to further my studies. Also I took some vietnamese so I simply paired them together for no good reason. I excluded UK on the basis of assumed cost (especially if the pound rebounds) and grey weather (bestfriend's over there for a few years). I'm praying the weather in france will be better (I'm a weather person). I also considered Switzerland but language appears to be a barrier in admissions (excluding cost considerations).

I know that Switzerland's official languages are as such, rather I was asking if there were any purely english language courses available there. It appeared to me that all the institutions have require a level of fluency in their regional language.

Any other names you could recommend?
Thanks in advance.