Singapore Expats

Business broadband and a rant...

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Business broadband and a rant...

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:01 pm

OK some of you may have seen a post or two of mine batting on about our Starhub Ultimate broadband speeds in and out of SIN. Well with some new ventures I need to rectify this.

Secondly, Ms. C's business is relocating and we're looking at using Starhub (dubious assumption coming...) on some form of business plan for the office, then extending the account to our condo (new build).

Questions:

1. Can I expect that a dedicated business account will provide better bandwidth (I read somewhere about Starhub and Singtel using shared IP addresses which contributes to the slowdown).

2. Does anyone have any indicative pricing for business-grade internet? How do they determine pricing - fixed monthly cost per mbit/second or some other combination of speed/volume?

Any advice much appreciated!!!!

Many thanks in advance, Mr. P

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 6:22 pm

1. you can opt for fixed IP. although i got no problem with my starhub speed, i do notice that the IP keep changing so messing up my proxy stuff without restoring to dynamic dns for name resolution. but still, i dont think that would hammer the bandwidth. i suspect your connection to the exchange is heavily used.

2. a business broadband still use the same "pipe" as consumer broadband user. only thing you are getting is better content ratio. the consumer could be 50:1 and a business could be 20:1.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 6:34 pm

Durain - thanks champ. Got any further details (URL) on the content/peering ratio? Thanks, P

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 7:59 pm

sorry dude, i got no hard evidence but the typical industrial standard is 50:1 for consumer. you probably have to press starhub for the exact ratio.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 8:53 am

Durain - many thanks. Got any other suggestions? What about some of the resellers, or will we just be buying another intermediary's sorry story of broken promises?

Cheers, P

metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by metroguy » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 9:02 am

Hi Mr.P,

I know someone in Starhub. He used to be my account manager. Please let me know if you would like to have his contacts. Alternatively I can ask him to give you a call. Very nice chap. Used to work for Macquarie and switched to Starhub last year. He deals with corporate customers only.

Cheers,
MG.
It's in my blood. B(e) Positive.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:12 am

there's not much ISP player in singapore, it's either singtel, starhub or pacnet. not sure if pacnet got it's own infrastructure or they just piggy back off singtel and/or starhub. pacnet used to be big in the days of dialup but you dont hear about it much. still, on their website, seems they are targetting business users than consumer. maybe worth giving them a call.

Boog

Post by Boog » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 8:55 pm

i would recommend only singnet - not that they are good but just that the rest are Image

singnet always have offers like $99 a mth for unlimited 1mbps.
http://business.singtel.com/upload_hub/sme/pnc.htm

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:28 pm

yes Boog, very helpful reply. :roll: