Singapore Expats

SIA commercial pilot

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Vortex

Post by Vortex » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 1:41 am

FiDzTiUt wrote:Im also interested in aviation since childhood and have so many questions in doubt abt my childhood dreams.

1. I'm a malay and is race a factor? I mean do they accept malay students?

2. In poly, which diploma course suits the pilot career? aerospace? or does any diploma will do?

3. If i understand correctly, i have to be 26, DEN im able to apply for the course?

4. Is the course hard and stressful?

5. And lastly, What's the total amount i have to fork out for this course? 100k?

I am really keen on this job~ my childhood dream and ambition. tHx for answering. :)
Bro, pursue your dreams.....least when you look back in life, you know that you have tried your best to realise it. Better than not trying at all.
anyway... being world class org, they'll pick suitable candidates based on their merits , not race.....have faith man...
Don't just dream,... Live it!!!! It's only 36 000 ft....

yeeloong

Post by yeeloong » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 2:25 am

A few queries.

1)Does having a ppl from the flight school in Singapore / Malaysia increase your chance in being a cadet?

2)What are the working hours of a pilot like for SIA?

andy_wong

Enquires on the requirement

Post by andy_wong » Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:39 am

Hi all-

I am interested in aviation as my career but i have some enquires about the requirement.

- I now have diploma in engineering from Ngee Ann poly but i do not obtain any of 'O' level subject. Can I still apply for the cadet pilot course?

- I now studying in NTU for my degree and it is a better chance for the cadet pilot course?

thank for reply :)

Vortex

Re: Enquires on the requirement

Post by Vortex » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 8:29 pm

andy_wong wrote:Hi all-

I am interested in aviation as my career but i have some enquires about the requirement.

- I now have diploma in engineering from Ngee Ann poly but i do not obtain any of 'O' level subject. Can I still apply for the cadet pilot course?

- I now studying in NTU for my degree and it is a better chance for the cadet pilot course?

thank for reply :)
Hi

guess you better try to get your O levels first before trying...
you'll need that to qualify...trust me cos it's the pre-requisite for them to consider you....even as a degree holder...
check out their websites for its pre-requisite....

good luck..
Don't just dream,... Live it!!!! It's only 36 000 ft....

bendi

Post by bendi » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:26 pm

mantaro43 wrote:Is there a minimum age to be a pilot?
The minimum age is laid down in the requirements for the issue of a professional pilots licence found in SASP2. However Singaporeans who wish to enter the profession as an Airline Pilot will have to be at least 26 years of age at the point of application. This is a restriction imposed on Singaporeans by the Government to ensure the Air Force has its ready pool of applicants amongst our limited talent pool. This does not apply if you are not a Singaporean.

hi. i am going for the interview this coming 30th.
I didnt know there is a age limit as i am only 24 this year.
so will they still hire me??

and what sorts of questions will they ask? for example will they ask you about planes specification or parts? or technical terms?
i am not from singapore flying club nor am i from ncc air last time.
so i really dunno how to convince them that i am interested in the position.
pls help!!!

bendi

Post by bendi » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 8:55 pm

hi jojo sorry i cannot reply your msg cos i got nt enough post.
well it is open to everyone if u meet the criteria i guess?

Jojoleona
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jojoleona » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:15 pm

bendi wrote:hi jojo sorry i cannot reply your msg cos i got nt enough post.
well it is open to everyone if u meet the criteria i guess?
hi bendi, thanks so much..is thr any website that i cn c the min requirements? ive a fren who is interested...
When there's a will, there's a way.

bendi

Post by bendi » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:46 pm

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 1:20 am

bruinbear wrote:What is the pay like?

Assuming you become a pilot, do promotions become automatic? (i.e. after flying a certain number of hours you get promoted to a higher salary grade, or from 1st officer to Captain etc)

To reach the rank of Captain takes on average 10 years, clocking over 4,700 hours of flying through a minimum of 1,000 flying sectors as a First Officer.Silkair pilots get to go home everyday, since they do not have night stops. And due to the shorter destinations they fly, they do get to clock their sectors faster (as compared to SQ or Cargo), hence, they will get their Captainship earlier. Of course, the downside is that they do not get paid for overnight allowances... hence, lower pay.

Salaries vary depending on the type of aircraft a pilot is assigned to fly and the number of hours flown. Advancement of a pilot’s salary also depends on his length of service with the company and the fleet he belongs to. A First Officer’s basic salary starts from S$4,475 while a Captain’s starts from S$8,550.For SIA pilots,they get more pay than Silkair pilots because Silkair pilots do turnaround flights which results in not getting any layover allowances.

Collective Agreements (CA) made between the pilots and their employers. That is, SIA pilots will have a CA with SIA, while SilkAir pilots sign a separate CA with SilkAir. Generally, a pilot’s total pay comprises his basic salary and an hourly rated Pilots’ Productivity Allowance (PPA). These two components form the bulk of a pilot’s total income, one of which – the PPA – is relatively flexible. There are also some miscellaneous travel allowances provided for.The Pilots’ Productivity Allowance (PPA) is an hourly rate paid for every hour flown. Under the prevailing CA, the PPA comprises up to 30% of a pilot’s total income. As this part of the pilot’s salary is based on productivity, it is variable – the more a pilot flies, the more he earns. As such, in cases when flights are cancelled, if he is sent on course, or if he is on medical or annual leave, his salary will be correspondingly affected. Thus, a pilot’s salary can fluctuate – the less he flies, the lower his income.

Pilot Ranking : 1 bar - Second Officer aka S/O
2 bars - First Officer aka F/O
3 bars - Senior First Officer aka Senior F/O
4 bars - Captain/Chief Captain/Fleet Cdr. aka Capt.
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 9:37 am

Good post, Shazni, just some corrections.

I'm not sure about the capts, but speaking from a 1st officer's POV, Silkair and SIA FOs earn roughly the same amount on a normal month (no econ downturn etc). This is because SIlkair a higher basic and different PPA calculations, even though they have no LMA. Silkair works harder though, with all the turns. However, since they don't do nightstops, silkair guys can actually take home more, since SIA pilots have to eat overseas on nightstops. Food can get pretty expensive esp on europe runs.

The basic salary you have there is also outdated, as far as SIA pilots are concerned. Certainly more that what you put here, since the last CA, which was signed in 2004 i think. The basic not only depends on fleet, but your personal background as well. A few months ago, the pay scheme has changed again.

I know your information is cut from the Alpa-S website. If you want to cut and paste, remember to add a link to the source, or at least acknowledge that it's from another website. Alpa-S should really update that page. The structure is correct, like PPA, LMA etc, but the figures are sooooooo outdated, at least by over 4 years.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 12:51 am

Pilots are asked to take four days unpaid leave every month...is this voluntary or involuntary now?

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 1:19 am

As reported in the news, the company is asking compulsory no pay leave of 3 days for capts and 4 days for FOs. Still negotiating.

scorpio76

Post by scorpio76 » Sat, 23 May 2009 12:38 pm

I applied last week thru the SIA website but got rejected. Don't know why. :(

I got a Engineering diploma, my 'o' levels results are B3 above, only thing is I am 33 this year and wear glasses with one eye about 250 degrees, the other 300 degrees. Is that why I got rejected??

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 23 May 2009 12:54 pm

Scorpio - sorry to hear that. It possibly could be age, but then again with the current downturn I'd reckon SIA would not be hiring a heap, esp. seeing the freighter crews are effectively furloughed.

DON'T GIVE UP though!!!

Cheers, Mr.P

scorpio76

Post by scorpio76 » Sat, 23 May 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks for consoling. :)

Then again, all my SIA pilot friends are degree students so it could be SIA can be choosy this time round, getting only degree students as there is no shortage of pilots.