Singapore Expats

Obama

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Obama

Post by ksl » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 2:04 pm

After reading a letter from the future president of America to his children, I felt a kind of satisfaction and enthusiasm for the future, it may well be a long haul, in these economic time's, although my gut feeling tells me, this is going to be the most famous president of all time.

It cannot have been easy on this man, coming up through the ranks, to get to where he is today, sure enough he has talent and the insight to see, he can make a difference for equality, for everyone, I would be proud to give my support to a guy like this, and i wish him all the best. Time's they are a changing! Providing the letter is sincere and genuine!

Even in the UK, statistic are showing more interracial marriages, and a vast change of direction, I have no doubts, that a better racial understanding will forthcome in the future and feel content, that my daughter will be well prepared to be competitive in the job market around the world.

http://www.parade.com/export/sites/defa ... hters.html

UK statistics on change:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7836024.stm
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BodyBlitz » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 2:32 pm

He presents a down to earth, no frills guy who wants to get to the bottom of it.

I like his practicality and nice but firm approach in his policies.
I believe with the current administration with many greats from the clinton one will bring forth a positive change.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 6:27 pm

I wish him the best, but I'll still reserve judgment until he through the first 100 days. By then we may start to see a little of what Americans put their money on. We don't know yet if he's as clydesdale or a one trick show pony yet. Hopefully he can keep his ducks in order, cause if he can't, we are up that stinking brown creek without the proverbial paddle. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 9:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wish him the best, but I'll still reserve judgment until he through the first 100 days. By then we may start to see a little of what Americans put their money on. We don't know yet if he's as clydesdale or a one trick show pony yet. Hopefully he can keep his ducks in order, cause if he can't, we are up that stinking brown creek without the proverbial paddle. :-k
Then you can settle down in this little backwater called Singapore! :P

I like Obama's powerful message delivered in simple language. Even if he achieved nothing else in his presidency, I think he has already achieved a lot. And to be honest, he couldn't have inherited a worse economy so it's not fair to expect a miracle.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:12 pm

I don't believe in miracles. But. The majority of mainstream America does. Therein lies the problem. They bought into it hook line & sinker. I just hope he can deliver. He's got everything going for him and everything going against him at the same time.

He's in a win-win situation though, I'll have to give him that. If he succeeds he will go down in History and if he fails he will still go down in History. If he succeeds it will be because he did it and he's the first black president. If he fails, it will be because he's the first black president and was left a mess of amazing proportions by the previous administration (who was left a lot of it by it's previous administration - who's now in his administration). Either way he wins.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 5:57 am

Mr. Obama ran on a campaign of hope, a fragile platform at best. We Americans are like most other people, promise us something and we'll want it tomorrow and a little more the day after. I see his biggest task not in selling his vision because that's done, his biggest task is in keeping the hordes focused for the next two years.
There is so much to be done that every principle in Washington will be pushing their own agenda, one of the reasons Reagan was successful is that he put a lid on that kind of distraction and managed to get everyone pulling in the same direction, both in foriegn and domestic policy.
I'm a lifelong Republican but have voted against them since Reagan left office. Nothing has changed, I'm still a Republican, it just happens that Obama represents more of the values I honor than any other man.
Very proud to have Barrack Obama in the Whitehouse but I don't have unrealistic expectations and figure it's going to be a rough 18 to 24 months!
Pakjohn

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 6:42 am

I am tremendoulsy inspired by Obama and what he represents and I can't remember feeling like this for a long, long time and I'm not even an American.

There has never been a time in US history where Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech" meant more as people around the world actually see his vision and dream unfolding and this change will set forth more positive changes around the world as people dare to hope, dream and effect the changes they see unfolding before them as history is made.

I see US citizens making various pledges, people giving their time and money, volunteering in their communities, young people coming forward and voting for the first time because they finally have someone to believe in and look up to as their leader, people of all shapes, sizes and colours coming together offering their services for the greater good of their country and this is truly amazing. I have had goosebumps just watching all these events unfold on tv as people take his message to heart.

As I sit here in Jamaica, I can't help but point out that Obama even inspires the Jamaicans and several songs have been done by various Jamaican artists in his honour. :)

One man, already an inspiration to millions around the world, that's a powerful message in itself. I truly wish him the best and though the road ahead is tough and riddled with trials and tribulations, he has the support of many nations and that's no mean feat for a start.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 9:17 am

Well said, GC. I agree with every word.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 1:04 am

Bah humbug! I'll play the curmudgeon again. Yes, it's remarkable that a black guy was elected to be president of the United States... but remember the last guy who got the same job, and not just once but twice to boot?

Obama is excellent at selling himself as a politician, but his actual record of getting things done is very slim, and contrary to sms's "win-win" opinion, there are countless ways to screw up in the next four years. He's done a sensible job with his cabinet appointments so far, but there are huge vested interests out there that will do their damnedest to fight again "change" of any description, and if Obama keeps on being everything to everybody, nothing is going to happen.

Let's come back to this in four years time and see how...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 1:49 am

Hey JP, the only win-win I put forth was that he'll go down in history one way or the other. I didn't say how...... :P

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 6:12 am

jpatokal wrote:
Let's come back to this in four years time and see how...
Yeah lets. Same time, same place? :tongue:
One man's meat is another's poison.

Return to “General Discussions”