Singapore Expats

Partition Extension

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Partition Extension

Post by DimWit Kid » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:55 pm

Okay I just realized that there were some silly mistake done on installing windoze in this computer. The boot partition is only 64GB. Adequate of course, but hardly easy, as I have to be careful about space allocations and install any programs in the other partitions. Annoyance rather than impossibillity.

I am trying now to extend the partition as I have 1TB size in total - but both the disk manager and diskpart do not allow me to extend boot partition. Can somebody suggest something? Would I for example be able to extend my windoze boot partition by using linux gparted, for example? How safe is that?

Cheers.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:44 pm

you need 3rd party disk management like partition magic (or similar). it would be safer (and easier) to use than the linux one (unless you are a hardcore linux geek!).

there are other freeware disk management tools. let me know if you need them and i will point you which one is good. (i got it somewhere, just need to dig it out)

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 1:44 pm

durain thanks again for your responses!

I'm thinking of trying partition magic, indeed. Will it work on my primary boot partition?

If you have any suggestion of other software esp freeware, do let me know...

I will try probs only after I take an image of the current disk - just in case...

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 2:11 pm

DWK - not tried it, but http://partitionlogic.org.uk/ might help you. HTH, Mr. P

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 5:51 pm

thanks Mr. P - will take a look at it!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 7:31 pm

if you can get partition magic or partition manager (from paragon software), then the better as they are tried and tested product, and i have used them many times without failure.

i do have a copy partition manager, abet an old version but legit software which you can use as it is from a cover CD on a magazine. the partition logic looks good too. looks easy with the nice GUI. let me know either way...

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:07 pm

Just to be on the safe side, if i were you i'd make a back up image of the partition first.
You can download a free utility from seagate to do this. google "disk wizard"

Good luck
PS Gparted has always worked fine for me....and it's free
If you're PC savy enough to know you need to expand your partition then your smart enough to use Gparted
Cheers

Boog

Post by Boog » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 9:06 pm

http://www.partition-tool.com/

use this - free one leh