Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
3ds

Post by 3ds » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:36 pm

pink petals wrote: very bright right? sometimes i wonder what is with the need for flawless skin, i mean when one started flying, the irregualr hours, the different climate, stress, will also result in imperfect skin sometimes.

and 1 of my friend said: i don't think the passengers will look at the cabin crews with a bright light in their hand when asking questions or whatsoever.

hahah.. so funny...

anyway, went today ard 2pm and booted out in round 1. guess it is due to my age. there are so many young girls there...
hey pink petals,

hw old r u?

mdamilan
Regular
Regular

Post by mdamilan » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 2:24 pm

isisprince wrote:
mdamilan wrote:
knhh wrote:Is qualification that important...to them???

I'm jus a N lvl holder....

I did try to go today but... before i reach that hotel, i turn back as i quite look down myself...

i only have working experience...which is abt 4yrs... in sales and management .....

Any advice ? cos i have alrdy turned away many times since i was 18... now is this yr im turning 22.....
Hey.... Yes. It's definitely impt to them.

I went today and they were saying even if I decided to quit my Uni education to join the company now, I wouldn't make it for the min req bcos of my O level results (totally screwed)! And I have working experience too. So yes, minimum still 5 O lvl credits.
I don't think 5 'O' level credits is very important as long as you do have an 'O' level cert and had gone thru further studies. I have 3 'O' level credits, a higher NITEC cert and a TP diploma and managed to get thru to the 2nd round the last time i tried but failed the kebaya test (maybe i wasnt' smiling enough lol)
Hey hey, yap. I know as long as I've done further studies above O lvls Im fine! Thanks for all the encouragement gals. Hahaha! At least my time wasn't wasted, and was sent home due to me being able to Graduate on their preferred time! :)

Ok now I have a question. Given that I never got proceed on with any of the interviews because I was sent home before I could, is this considered as an attempt? Cos she said she'll keep my application form for I don't-know-what-reason when I stretched out my hand to take it back from her.
-------------------------------------------------------
It's hard to leave behind what you built from scratch; but.. if you don't move on, you're not going to get ahead.

mdamilan
Regular
Regular

Post by mdamilan » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 2:25 pm

pinkish_lace wrote:yea hope there will be another round of recruitment real soon :)
The lady who sent me home told me their recruitments would be once every 2 months. Don't know how true it is, but that's what she told me. LOL!
It's hard to leave behind what you built from scratch; but.. if you don't move on, you're not going to get ahead.

mdamilan
Regular
Regular

Post by mdamilan » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 2:28 pm

pink petals wrote:
Wild_Lily wrote:
Kayleeee wrote:I had failed mine on the 13th but I'm going again tomorrow !!

To be honest I am prepared to be kicked out again in the first round.. I am too fat at 1.6m/56kg-57kg.

I probably will lose that 7kg off but it will take at least another 2-3 months :(

Argghh

(by the way I realise I am 56kg in the morning and 57kg by noon...but well.. im still fat :( )

Anyone else failed on the 13th and going again tmr ??
I'm also fat and i suspect everyone there was laughing at me just now.Sad
dun be, really.... as long as u are within the bmi range, u are not fat!. :)
just that nowadays girls are getting too skinny.
exactly! My ex-crew friend was no where near skinny or slim OK! :)

lolitha lempicka

Post by lolitha lempicka » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 3:00 pm

i went to singapore airlines cabin crew yesterday unfortunately i wasnt selected for the next round but at least i has some experience for the next time interview. it was 8 of us in a room and everybody must introduce about ourself. there's one girl who is very funny when she said she is currently study in europe in medical 8-) and she tried to speak english in british accent at beginning but half way she was nervous and speak to normal singlish :lol: i think she's pretty, tall and educated and if she's being more humble she definately can go for the next round :)

Jocundster

Post by Jocundster » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 6:28 pm

waggiee wrote:Hi all,

Just to understand more. the 2nd round is skin check n 3rd is kebaya round? then what's coming next?
Hey waggiee,

1st round - Self intro (group)
2nd round - Kebaya + skin check
3rd round - one to one interview
4th round - Management interview (2 to 1)
Last round - Medical checkup (if you clears this too, all you need is to wait for their call)

Hope these clear your doubts...

Jo

crayonv

Newbie & tried 3th time at SIA and booted out .. grrgggh

Post by crayonv » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:14 am

hi ladies, i m new here..
i m turning 27 this year liao (juz married)...n my dream since Poly haven let go....despite i thot i will....

i tried in 2005 - gt in to the 5th interview *back then* management interview and failed...

i tried in 2007 - gt into 2nd round but tt time i had a big zit and healing acne skin condition, thus ...out in 2nd round..n i cried...n thot i will give up...

Until recently, after 1.5 years w curre
nt job, my yearn to fly is so strong....so i decided to try again...

this year 17th Jan 2009 - i tried but failed at 1st round! i was in Grp 67 and i recalled i reached 1145pm, queue to measure height, then sat in a room watch Videos...(realised that the DANIEL mistook the 2ladies he 'saved' as Mother & Daughter instead of Sisters, LOL
finally after the pple's lunch, we called in at 1400hrs, KNN< really long time wait n i was damn hungry, i thot i will b ok but in 1st round i really fumbled and nervous n hungry?? n spoke like machine gun...

my topic was whats ur embarrassing moment after self intro, wat u do, etc

(any one wanan share wats theirs? so next round we cn prepare fully?)

i was ok...i felt i was not adequately prepared...no tears...

we all muz JIAYOU k!! =D :???:
my dream is to Soar the Skies.... =)

rachelhoe

Post by rachelhoe » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:27 am

hmm its my 2nd time trying..got to the 3rd round..haha the kebaya still feels so tight. just in case girls.. i am not the extremly skinny kind. i am 163cm but around 55-58 (i put on some weight after coming back from a trip) yar..just be more confident. i realised all the girls who made it thru have got very good posture. when they walk, talk, sit etc etc..
One bad thing about making a deal with the devil is, he always comes to collect.

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:35 am

Wild_Lily wrote:I'm also fat and i suspect everyone there was laughing at me just now.Sad
:oops!:

crayonv

CONGRATS!!

Post by crayonv » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 1:01 am

rachelhoe wrote:hmm its my 2nd time trying..got to the 3rd round..haha the kebaya still feels so tight. just in case girls.. i am not the extremly skinny kind. i am 163cm but around 55-58 (i put on some weight after coming back from a trip) yar..just be more confident. i realised all the girls who made it thru have got very good posture. when they walk, talk, sit etc etc..
so u went thru 1st round & Kebaya? 3rd interview when?? jIayou k! =D
my dream is to Soar the Skies.... =)

Kayleeee

Post by Kayleeee » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 4:31 am

To be honest, I have this feeling that SIA is like the only airline looking for a Miss Universe.....

Those who had went for interviews with BA/Emirates/Cathay or whichever other airline will realise that those companies place more importance on personality and capability rather than looks..

(this is based on my observation at the BA interview and the other girls' inteviews with foreign airlines. i'm sure many of us will agree that the staff we met at the other airlines were really ALOT ALOT nicer and definately more kind compared to the ones at SIA)

I have already accepted the fact that I may never become a Singapore Girl, but hey its still as good being a BA girl, Cathay Girl, Japan Girl or Tiger Girl girl right!! :P :P

I wouldnt give up trying for SIA though, but I will definately look out for other airlines as well..( and also other opportunities in my career. cfm will die from starvation one day if i dont move on..maybe by then will be thin enuff to be a Singapore Girl?? :X )

As much as I love to be in that beautiful gorgeous sarong kebaya and agree that being a cabin crew is a VERY VERY desired job(my childhood dream lor!), the job itself is actually not as difficult as compared to someone who analyse economy for a living or even people who slog 18 hours a day in a humid cramped coffee shop for $1200 a month !!

The only difficult part is that there are just TOO many applicants (including the CMI ones like me wahhahaha)

Alright, alright , I look at things that way because I dont want to stop loving myself... can say its self consolation also...

Maybe people will say I sour grapes or pathethic or wad but I( and all of us!) must not and never see myself as a loser/failure/ugly pig just because I didnt and probably will never make it pass SIA's first interview yeah ?

Therefore...
M wrote:
Wild_Lily wrote:I'm also fat and i suspect everyone there was laughing at me just now.Sad
:oops!:
Lily, every woman is beautiful ok !!Nobody is superior than another being. We were all created for a reason..

There must be something unique about you I'm sure! Never mind that you cant serve dinners inside an SQ airplane for a living ! Maybe you can do something even greater than that !!!

I dont think anyone is laughing at you lor! Most r probably too busy looking at themselves to notice other people.. And in case got people really do, remember their faces hard! When you go back to SIA as a passenger laugh at them back and bao chou ok!!Wahhhahah

-evil-

danm my entry is long again.. i suspect i keep failing the interviews because I am so lor soh like a lau Auntie...I think I might have a better chance to become the spokesperson for Shop and Save....hmmmz...
Last edited by Kayleeee on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Believe in the strength of universe, for the law of attraction is the greatest power ever exist.

Kayleeee

Post by Kayleeee » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 4:55 am

lolitha lempicka wrote:i went to singapore airlines cabin crew yesterday unfortunately i wasnt selected for the next round but at least i has some experience for the next time interview. it was 8 of us in a room and everybody must introduce about ourself. there's one girl who is very funny when she said she is currently study in europe in medical 8-) and she tried to speak english in british accent at beginning but half way she was nervous and speak to normal singlish :lol: i think she's pretty, tall and educated and if she's being more humble she definately can go for the next round :)
I think even though she fail the SIA interview, she can easily move on to do something greater lor.....you need to be like really brainy to study medicine.. and she study medicine in Europe to become an SIA stewardesss!?!

That makes people like me with no brains and no looks even more difficult to become a cabin crew lor :( :( :(

Seriously hor, If i'm her father and I work my ass off to send her to Europe to study medicine and she ended choosing to be a cabin crew, I think I will break her legs !!

:X
Believe in the strength of universe, for the law of attraction is the greatest power ever exist.

Rohai

Post by Rohai » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 5:19 am

Kayleeee wrote: I think even though she fail the SIA interview, she can easily move on to do something greater lor.....you need to be like really brainy to study medicine.. and she study medicine in Europe to become an SIA stewardesss!?!

That makes people like me with no brains and no looks even more difficult to become a cabin crew lor :( :( :(

Seriously hor, If i'm her father and I work my ass off to send her to Europe to study medicine and she ended choosing to be a cabin crew, I think I will break her legs !!

:X
the fact that she studied medicine probably worked against her in becoming an air stewardess because SIA might be thinking that she most probably wont stay long in the line and will move on to be a doctor.so it is VERY highly probable that she is not very passionate of the job and that she will move on to be a doctor in one or two years if she's selected into SIA. would you as employer hire someone whom is most unlikely to be commited to the job ure offering? i wouldnt. =)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, its a matter of choice; its not a thing to be waited for, its a thing to be achieved"

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 8:50 am

Rohai wrote: the fact that she studied medicine probably worked against her in becoming an air stewardess because SIA might be thinking that she most probably wont stay long in the line and will move on to be a doctor.so it is VERY highly probable that she is not very passionate of the job and that she will move on to be a doctor in one or two years if she's selected into SIA. would you as employer hire someone whom is most unlikely to be commited to the job ure offering? i wouldnt. =)
Its not impossible though....SIA just took in a Million Air, SPPS, property Developer as a Flight Steward!!! What do you think is his objective in flying as a Steward? Why did the company took him in? :???:

DTTH

Post by DTTH » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:07 am

Does the medical check up includes eye sight too?

I've got like 500+ on both eyes.