Singapore Expats

Vietnamese Coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Vietnamese Coffee

Post by blue_thunder » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 5:25 pm

I have been reading about coffee from vietnam and found most of them saying its one of the best coffee's in the world.
One of the distributors quote that a 500g of Trung Nguyen "Legendee" which is the Weasel coffee costs $40 in SG.
Is it worth the money ?
Pls share your views on it , if you have tried one...

Cheers.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 5:42 pm

VK - one of the charities I am involved in is in Vietnam and I can concur what you have heard - Vietnamese coffee, while some may say is an acquired taste, is indeed brilliant. In terms of here in SIN, the only place I have found thus far is at Changi Airport, T2, adjacent to Concourse C/D.

I'm sure some of our other regulars here will have other options.

If you need a taste I just bought some in, of all places, Taipei, and would be happy to give you a small bag out of ours so you can try it.

HTH, Mr. P

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 7:52 pm

VN coffee is best made with a press or their cup mounted drip unit. There is a Vietnamese resturaunt behind the Singtel building that serves pretty good coffee.

Most times, it comes iced and black or iced with sweetened condensed milk. Either way it's great!
Pakjohn

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Although

Post by Allibert » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 9:57 pm

you can get iced coffee I would imagine most of the time it comes served hot like any other coffee

Alcie

Post by Alcie » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:13 pm

Hi VK, if you have tried and like the 'local Kopi' which you can get from the drink stalls in foodcourts here, I believe you will appreciate the Vietnamese coffee. It's similar to the local coffee here and has an after-taste of nuts.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:19 am

Wel I found the direct outlet for the Trung Nguyen coffee in Liang court, which was opened in Nov'08 after the one in Changi airport
Will be visiting to get a taste of the coffee and if its gud then would get a pack of coffee powder.
BTW , Thanks for the invite sierra

Cheers.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:15 pm

forewarning though. i found vietnamese coffee to be insanely powerful.

i took a latte at 4pm and only managed to sleep at 4am despite feeling utterly exhausted. i still have a few bags i brought back from viet. wont be having any myself though.