Singapore Expats

Cost of living Switzerland - Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Gringo

Cost of living Switzerland - Singapore

Post by Gringo » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 3:52 pm

Is it fair to say that - apart from housing - cost of living are more or less the same in Singapore as in Switzerland ?
Can anybody give me an indication on the monthly leasing/renting cost for a medium size asian car ?
Your help is very much appreciated.

resm
Regular
Regular

Re: Cost of living Switzerland - Singapore

Post by resm » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:00 am

Gringo wrote:Is it fair to say that - apart from housing - cost of living are more or less the same in Singapore as in Switzerland ?
Can anybody give me an indication on the monthly leasing/renting cost for a medium size asian car ?
Your help is very much appreciated.
I can't help you much with regards to the car since I don't drive myself, but you may consider buying one (second hand).

The current economic situation probably will bring up many good offers.

The overall cost of living is cheaper than in Switzerland, unless you want to feast only on the most expensive imported items.

There are not many places in this world, where you can eat so cheap like here in Singapore.
That of course means eating in the local eating places called "Hawker Centers" which are open-air food malls or "Food Courts" which have air-condition.

You can eat and drink for about 5-7 S$ a meal.

Good restaurants are generally also cheaper unless you choose the high class places but I would say the food is of better quality in Switzerland.

Public transportation inclusive taxis are cheaper than Switzerland.
Flag-down charges for taxis are S$2.80 and calling a cab by phone costs an additional S$ 2.50

Everyday clothing is cheaper here, besides you don't need so much like in Switzerland, especially now :)

If you finally get your house here, you may consider hiring a live-in house -help, something not many people have/can afford in Switzerland.

As mentioned before, rentals are sliding down now, so you should be ok here.
Last edited by resm on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROUT....the only way out !

Gringo

Post by Gringo » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 6:29 pm

Thank you very much Resm for your valuable input!