Singapore Expats

Retrenchment - Economy not getting any better ...as of now..

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Retrenchment - Economy not getting any better ...as of now..

Post by calvink » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:02 pm

Economy' getting bad.. One of my friend just got retrenched......With the recent report on the newspaper that 70% of Singaporeans feel that their jobs are secure...i highly doubt so. How can you feel secure when the impact is so great having to live in a small country...

Retrenchment in selected industry? - Is this true? If a company doesnt bring in sales, eventually they would have to 'cut cost'. WHat say u?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Retrenchment - Economy not getting any better ...as of n

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 2:23 am

calvink wrote:Economy' getting bad.. One of my friend just got retrenched......With the recent report on the newspaper that 70% of Singaporeans feel that their jobs are secure...i highly doubt so. How can you feel secure when the impact is so great having to live in a small country...

Retrenchment in selected industry? - Is this true? If a company doesnt bring in sales, eventually they would have to 'cut cost'. WHat say u?
I don't say much, other than locals will be retrenched or fired, in there thousands to come, this year. The PM also said to expect it, I think it was in the local paper today, especially in the electronics industry, like i posted about Taiwans exports being down 41.9% for december, some of the electronics shipments go to singapore and are re-exported, others are manufactured here and shipped, but China imports are also down too big time along with the USA, and Walmart being the cheapest place to buy, is also down on sales for december.

I think companies world wide will cut back and consolidate, especially high tech electronics. many of the LCD TV manufacturers in Taiwan, have dropped drastically in stock price, maybe close to take over or bankruptcy

AP Moller sacked 3000 in the container business, so what does that tell you, shipments are down big time, local jobs will go for definite, and i see the stock markets haven't got the message yet either, but expect a 1000 point drop on the Taiwan stock for sure this next few months, that's my opinion. But its not all doom and gloom, if you are prepared for the worst, many are not! :shock:
http://www.semiconductor.net/article/CA6628020.html
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 14 Jan 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BodyBlitz » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 4:51 am

Wait till after CNY, you'll see the storm and when it rains it pours.
Now we're just at the tip of the iceberg.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 8:32 pm

Hmm...CNY is going to be 'gloomy'....its gonna get worse....everyone has a chance of being retrenched....pray hard...

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 8:43 pm

nothing new. it's been on the radar for a while. the whole world is affected. dont pray hard, save hard!