Singapore Expats

What is your recommended brand of Notebook?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.

What is your recommended brand of Notebook?

Post by Guest » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:59 pm

Hello, I am planning to buy a notebook/laptop pretty soon. However, I am not quite sure if what would be the best brand to buy. Basically, I am confused with the Processor M and Centrino. I don't know the difference between them. =( From what I know, Centrino is a very small processor that was manufactured by Intel (correct me if im wrong though).

My requirements would be able to install programs (Boson simulators and 'optional' other programming languages such as SAP soon), faster internet access and mobility of the notebook (small & light). I've seen one from Sony (vaio) but a friend said that if something happens to my notebook, the equipment is quite expensive to replace. I've seen one from Toshiba as well but i forgot the model. =( by the way, my budget is just $2300. Do you think this is ok?

If someone here knows the brand and model of the recommended notebook, i would really appreciate your help. =) hope you could give me the approx. price and where i can find it as well.

thank you so much!

Post by Guest » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 4:37 pm

up

Post by Guest » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 4:42 pm

By the way, i would like to have DVD+RW/+R included in the feature of notebook as well. please help....

Acer

Post by Acer » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:07 am

Check out Acer notebooks. They have excellent customer service.

Toshiba customer service in this country is a joke! Don't touch Toshiba. So far mine has had the DVD drive replaced and hard disk failed (under 2 years old).

Post by Guest » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:52 am

Acer wrote:Check out Acer notebooks. They have excellent customer service.

Toshiba customer service in this country is a joke! Don't touch Toshiba. So far mine has had the DVD drive replaced and hard disk failed (under 2 years old).

Yeah i think Acer is ok also. I have seen Fujitsu notebook S series. I think they're pretty nice as well but im not sure if it's worth it. what do you think?

thanks again!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 3:31 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pablo

Post by pablo » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:22 pm

Hi,
I have been using Acer - it is competitively priced and yes I agree that the Service is Excellent!. Except that the service centre is in Jurong.

Post by Guest » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 3:50 pm

yep ive seen from the newpaper that dell is much cheaper compared to others. i have seen fujitsu's notebook and it is quite expensive. =( i also saw sony vaio vgn and s series (dunno their difference though), they looked nice as well. some friends recommended me to buy Asus or Toshiba but I am not quite sure if they are your recommendations as well.

srikrishnak

Post by srikrishnak » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 7:37 pm

hi,
it seems u may run lot of softwares on ur notebook..in this case i suggest you go for a performance device...my personnel experience with IBM and dell is quite good...i can say fujitsu,toshiba falls in the second category when it comes to performance wise...although the processor n the memory everything seems the same but ibm gives a better throughput...may be some internal components ;)..
Cost wise dell is qutite competetive too...

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 8:12 pm

TOSHIBA is the best for notebook. I experienced it myself using TOSHIBA for the last 3 years, never had any problems with it. HP is not that good.

Acer?

Post by Guest » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 4:05 pm

how bout Acer T380 series? it's quite lightweight and small (big memory installed though). how do you find this brand and model?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:38 pm

I've been using a Dell Latitude X300 lately and, despite my initial misgivings, it's actually a pretty darn good notebook.

Stay away from HP, all their gear has been crap ever since Carly (good riddance) stuck her pudgy fingers in the pie and fired all the competent engineers.

Myview

Post by Myview » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:31 am

Use IBM, Dell is okay, but their support takes a long time.

My coll used a Dell and it takes Dell 15 days to send the replacement battery.

Ayukie

Post by Ayukie » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 1:09 pm

Im a IBM fan as well .. Dell erm i use dit before but took a long while to get my parts replaced they just keep throwing me here and there :(

Haiz ...

Ayukie

Post by Ayukie » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 1:10 pm

ladybird wrote:TOSHIBA is the best for notebook. I experienced it myself using TOSHIBA for the last 3 years, never had any problems with it. HP is not that good.

Sadly dunno somehow i feel toshiba notebooks performance have deteroriated the performances isn't as well as before :(