Singapore Expats

Pandan leaf

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 3:06 pm

Can get Pandan leaf from most supermarket. I do not know if they work yet.

My place smells of Pandan, but seen two cockroaches this week. Altho I think one was from someone up stairs who just chucked it out of their window and it landed throw my window

I use to eat my breakfast on my balcony. But the thot of someone throwing dead insects off their balconcy upstairs scares me now. Im hardly ever out there anymore.

The Pandan leaf dies and dies out pretty quick. If I know the smell works in scaring away cockroaches and insects, I may just plant the thing. I hear its easy to do with the leaves.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 5:36 pm

Louy you need the whole stalk including the base to grow pandan not just the cut leaves. :wink:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 8:22 pm

Isnt that how it is usually sold ??

I dont know much about plants and there technically bits, but the leaf comes sold together with the bottom bit with the other leaves all attached. Is that sufficient ??

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 5:33 pm

You should ask your local friends, most households that have a garden will have a Pandan plant at home (to pluck when they need it to chuck a leaf into the rice pot or asian dessert they are making).

I plan to plant pandan everywhere (when I move there in Feb) to discourage mosquitoes, they are really easy to grow or (if its still there) ask the gardeners at Fort Canning park, there is one section where I used ot walk the dogs and there was a big big big big bush of pandan, you can smell it. I wonder if you would get arrested for taking some with the root.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 2:08 pm

Pandan leaves work better in a car that is closed up than in an open room. It's the aromatic properties of the plant that repel cockroaches. Fresh pandan leaves have very little smell, but when they start to wilt is when they produce the aromatics. This is why they work for a while in cupboards or closets as well. The cabinets are closed up so the aromatics are more concentrated. It has to be replace regularly as one the wilting stops so does the production of the essential oils that produce the aromatics.

At a dollar a bundle it's worth trying.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gillypadi

Post by gillypadi » Mon, 29 Dec 2008 5:42 pm

i used to have the mini ones when we took our stuff out of storage. I keep them away with cloves instead. they smell better and definitely last longer. just make a little foil bowl and place a small handful in your cupboards. So far so good.

Silverfish... they are a totally different story. they are so fat now and i have no idea how to permanantly get rid of them without doing the whole fumigation of the house! Can anyone help?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 4:00 pm

gillypadi wrote:i used to have the mini ones when we took our stuff out of storage. I keep them away with cloves instead. they smell better and definitely last longer. just make a little foil bowl and place a small handful in your cupboards. So far so good.

Silverfish... they are a totally different story. they are so fat now and i have no idea how to permanently get rid of them without doing the whole fumigation of the house! Can anyone help?
Silverfish, you may wish to try vinegar spray, they are attracted to more alkaline foods, paper, glue, and such, don't like acidic area's, fleas also don't like vinegar, so spray the cat too if you have one, and put a drop of vinegar in its water.

gillypadi

Post by gillypadi » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:25 am

so do i spray the areas they "hide"? Will it destroy my clothes or bags as they are all hiding in the drawers. How long do they last before I need to respray?

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:21 am

i'm still a firm believer that cockroach spray is the way to go...

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”