Singapore Expats

Job prospects for foreign lawyers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
horustein

Job prospects for foreign lawyers in Singapore

Post by horustein » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:49 pm

Hi all, I am considering getting a law degree in Hong Kong but in Singapore only UK, Australian and US law degrees are recognised for legal practice. Does anyone know the prospects of law degree holders from jurisdictions like Hong Kong that are not recognised by Singapore if they want to get a legal services-related job in Singapore. I'm interested in banking and finance and corporate law but any other advice will also be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

PS Has anyone been admitted to the graduate LLB at NUS? What are the chances like? Do they place much emphasis on A level results? Thanks

anusha_r

Post by anusha_r » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 5:56 pm

Good overall scores are expected, as well as extra curricular activities etc. and consideration may be given to the level of contribution candidates are likely to make to the legal profession in Singapore.
You might want to take a look at www.agc.gov.sg to get an idea about the procedure for a foreign lawyer to practise foreign law/Singapore law in Singapore.
Hope this helps.Cheers!

ashley1108

Re: Job prospects for foreign lawyers in Singapore

Post by ashley1108 » Tue, 23 Dec 2008 6:30 pm

horustein wrote:Hi all, I am considering getting a law degree in Hong Kong but in Singapore only UK, Australian and US law degrees are recognised for legal practice. Does anyone know the prospects of law degree holders from jurisdictions like Hong Kong that are not recognised by Singapore if they want to get a legal services-related job in Singapore. I'm interested in banking and finance and corporate law but any other advice will also be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

PS Has anyone been admitted to the graduate LLB at NUS? What are the chances like? Do they place much emphasis on A level results? Thanks
Depending on the intake and average grade of students applying in singapore, the average cut off grade for A level student is triple A. Rare cases are 2 As and a B. If you obtain 4As along with at least a merit for your special paper, the chances of entering is high.

****Most important factor of all, an A1 or A2 is needed for General paper

horustein

Post by horustein » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks alot for the help :)