Singapore Expats

Am I Getting A Good Deal?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
noweca

Am I Getting A Good Deal?

Post by noweca » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 4:43 pm

I have been offered a position to relocate to Singapore from Hong Kong. I have a good idea of the different living style in Singapore from HK, but I would like to get some idea on the finances of the offer to see whether I am getting a good deal by Singapore standards, and whether my family can be comfortable on the budget provided. I am married and have two young pre-school aged children, so we will we require a four bedroom apartment, maisonette or house. My budget is as follows:

* Salary: S$220,000 / annum
* Housing: S$7,000 / month (paid by company)
* Auto: S$3,500 / month (includes all running costs)

We will also get a club membership, home leave allowance and tax equalization, etc. but I am most concerned about the housing and auto allowances. Can anyone give me an idea of the purchasing power of these amounts? Will this be adequate for a family of four?

Thanks for your help!

more than fine

Post by more than fine » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:09 pm

I live off Orchard Rd. in a 2800 sq. ft. condo & pay S$4500 per month and we bought a 3 year old car & the payment is S$945 per month. You have more than enough - sounds like a nice deal.

We are a family of 4 also - the car is an MPV - not quite as large as a mini-van, but still could fit 7 passengers if necessary.