Singapore Expats

How SIA treat their staffs

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Paige
Chatter
Chatter

How SIA treat their staffs

Post by Paige » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 1:45 am

Hi all,

I would like to share with you on how a muli-million company treats their staffs when they retire... When I knew about this, I was very surprise!!
When their staffs are due to retire, they will ask them to go back to office, take a photo with a long service award banner and printed the photo on the spot. The photo was not nicely taken and was re-took again.
Guess what's in the retirement package? well...
- 1 x SQ paper bag
- 1 x SQ airplanes poster
- 1 x gold plate badge
- 1 x photo taken with the service banner
- 1 x UNFINISHED IKEA WOODEN PHOTO FRAME (wich cost $2.9/2pc)

I couldn't believe that such a big company actualli give their staffs these!!
They had worked so hard for SQ for sooo many years and this was what they get for their appreciation? Where when a passenger complained, they give krisflyer vouchers etc.. and nw.. the staffs get above when they retire.. :shock:
Last edited by Paige on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:12 am

Paige,

This is life. When you are still young and useful for the company, they will treat you good but when you become the liability, they will throw you one side.
Especially in service line.

Even though this is what the company treats the staffs, it will not stop people to work with them. But not all airlines company treats their staff this way.
I know one of Hongkong carrier and middle east carrier which treat their staff better.

shenoes
Regular
Regular

Post by shenoes » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 1:04 pm

hi there,
reali feel very dissappointed when I read ur post. disappointed cos as such reputable organisation, treats its staffs so poorly.

But I tink in any government job in singapore, the system is the same. unless one is holding reali high position, then they will give a bit of face or respect. but again, if one reali sits on real high post, who wana retired or quit? gd life ley :D :D

i have mentioned in other forum before, no matter wat negative feedbacks are given by ex SIA ccs, there are still many gullible young gers out there yearning to work as a SIA cc. unless they have experience whatever bad things that have been mentioned themselves :)

anyway, thank you for your posting. reali was gd to know more on the 'inside' of SIA :D :D
-shenoes-

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 7:16 pm

Doesn't surprise me typically Singapore Inc.

Compare to this other asian airline: long service awards at 10,15,20 years staff given a solid gold coin weight increases with years worked [5gm,10gm, etc].Full medical with dental for self and spouse and kids.MPF and long service gratuity payment e.g last pay x number of years worked.

Only catch you have to work away from singapore!

But then is'nt Singapore dying?

pork12
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pork12 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:53 am

Let’s face it. It’s almost the same everywhere.

I can say without shame that I put in 101% effort in my work. When needed, I do late nights when others are happily enjoying their Friday nights. I’m the first to arrive everyday - I’m RARELY late. I report to work when I’m sick and I do whatever my boss and other colleagues asked me to do. It’s easy for them to take advantage since I’m the youngest and I’m only an admin assistant. When I applied for the job, I was told I’ll be assistant to the finance department. Now, I’m doing sales, admin and sometimes marketing. You would think that the company will treat me like an employee, if not better. Sad to say, I can’t claim dinner and cab expenses for those late nights even though the employee’s handbook says otherwise. While my boss and other colleagues are out for dinner on some event days, I’m dismissed after the event to go home from the venue (do keep in mind, that events can end quite late and dinner/cab expenses from my own pocket again). Assuming my salary is astronomical value, I would say that that’s acceptable. But how much can an admin assistant earn? I’m only drawing 1k++.

Everyday, I get calls asking if there’s any job opening, mostly from young girls (because I’m in a media company and get to work with artistes). It is highly possible that they have failed to see beyond the glitz and glamour in the job. There’s really a lot of hard work and shit. I am not getting the due incentives I deserve as an employee, so I’m not going to be silly enough to stay till I retire. I’m trying hard not to put in too much complaints or sourness in here, but honestly… Office girl to office old woman? No, thank you very much.
Pigs CAN fly...... right?
You can when you believe!

shenoes
Regular
Regular

Post by shenoes » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 3:32 pm

pork12 wrote:Let’s face it. It’s almost the same everywhere..
wat porky12 said is somehow true. this kinda culture is almost everywhere. but also nt forgeting, there are still some companies who treat their employees with respect :D

well, in this world of strong competition, everyone of us play a different. Some will be the gd guys, some will be the bad guys. This is a realistic world :)

in regards to SIA on how they treat their staffs, hmm.. if u guys rem how the CC gt slap and the response of SIA, u will more or less know how they treat employees :cool:
-shenoes-

deja

Post by deja » Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:17 am

I have to admit that I felt surprised about the contents of the retirement package too; that must have made one feel like being expelled. However, as much as a dissatisfaction it is, there is probably nothing much to complain about. I believe that how a company treats its staffs is indicated by the entire package of the job which includes salary, welfare, bonus, prospect, co. culture and etc. Some components are tangible, while many others are intangible. Any single component such as the retirement package alone can't serve as a justifiable representation of a company's treatment to its staffs. O:)

If SIA actually paid better than the other airline who rewards staffs with a solid gold coin at the end of contract, which company should we choose? :-k :P

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Sat, 20 Dec 2008 3:45 pm

quote:''If SIA actually paid better than the other airline who rewards staffs with a solid gold coin at the end of contract, which company should we choose?''

OK lets compare apples with apples: 'that company' pay pakage for staff with 10 year seniority approx 8k per month,and a 20 year seniority draws approx 14k.How does these compare with SQ?

Not considering grautity,annual bonus,profit share,MPF [their CPF],medical,housing allowc, staff travel and insurance scheme and ofcourse the SOLID GOLD COIN.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 20 Dec 2008 4:22 pm

The more important thing to consider is whether or not SIA has a pension scheme worth considering rather than the presents they give you mentioned by Paige (most companies around the world nowadays are trying to scrap their pension schemes where one exist).

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:15 am

Pensions ha,ha? obviously you are not a Singaporean.

Our physce: when you hit 55 they ask,aren't you dead yet??

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 4:46 pm

Blade wrote:Pensions ha,ha? obviously you are not a Singaporean.

Our physce: when you hit 55 they ask,aren't you dead yet??
Just about everybody on this board knows I am not Singporean. :roll: Perhaps you could give a bit more information since I the only thing I am aware of for sure is the CPF which is similar to some of the state system in the UK.