Singapore Expats

Graffiti Acessoirs/Cans in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Graffiti Acessoirs/Cans in Singapore?

Post by AngryAngMo » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 1:42 pm

Hello,

i wonder where you can find graffiti cans and accesoirs if you want to spray paint your home (rooms) or do some artwork on canvas or similar.

Are there any shops who sell good spray cans in Singapore or can you order them online (where)?

And how is the customs situation if you would for example order online, overseas, in regards to the legal situation, could they confiscate your paints,cans, etc. even if its is only for the above mentioned purposes?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 1:54 pm

Car spray cans do?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 1:59 pm

i bought spray paint in the hardware store at IKEA alexandra road. it's not there anymore - but there is a DIY shop across the road at Anchorpoint - they prob sell paint. you can also check out Art Friend in Ngee Ann City or Spotlight in Plaza Singapura - both have a large selection of paints - both spray and in bottles.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 4:14 pm

Any hardware store in Singapore sells spray cans of paint. but if you are going to do it right, why not invest in an airbrush and really get artistic. I bought one years ago for modeling and they work a treat. Course if you are going to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling then you might want something a bit more like a Binks Spray gun which can be had for a little more change. ($75~500) depending on type of feed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 4:40 pm

You could try an arts supply store if that's more the sort of spray paint you are looking for. There is a pretty big on at bras basah, 2nd floor i think.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for the answers, but what i ment was really graffiti cans/accesoirs, not airbrushing etc.

I wonder if there are any places where i can get Montana, Molotow etc cans and special caps (outlining, soft, skinny...)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 6:43 pm

In Singapore? Graffiti supplies? You gotta be kiddin'! Where's Michael Fay when you need him! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 9:47 pm

LOL! you beat me to it, re: michael fay!

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 2:16 pm

hehe, yes, the good old Michael Fey, but no, i wasnt kiddin. I mean seriously:

- There are Graffiti Showcases/Competitions (eg in front of Far East Plaza, every first friday of the month. although i wont comment on the quality)
- There are actually people who offer service to spray your home/ or rooms
- There was a trend recently about advertising and marketing campaigns including Graffiti techniques
- The art school definately offered Graffiti courses and has it as part of their classes
- And im sure that there is a local "underground" scene as well

And im wondering where these people get their equipment from. I was actually sparying a lot commercially in Europe and i would like to just stay in practise even though it would only be on canvas.

Any ideas?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 4:41 pm

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:41 am

Yeah, hence the question how customs will proceed with such goods...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:09 pm

Well, as long as it's not on the dutiable goods list and it's under $400 per shipment I don't see a problem. It's paint. The fact that it's paint with a rep doesn't matter as it's still just paint.

Go here to check out dutiable goods:Singapore Customs

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:52 pm

ok cool, looks good in the first place, will probably give it a try and let you guys know how it went :)

Hieroglyphics

Post by Hieroglyphics » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Angry Ang Mo, the graffiti writing culture is quite underground in Singapore but the numbers of practitioners are growing in numbers. U should head down to Somerset skateparks or the National Youth Council (adjacent to Cineleisure) to look at the wonderful pieces there updated by local writers. It is a legal wall anyways and u can spray there, provided u have to paint with respect.

Recently, theres a group of business makers brought down montana cans. But unfortunately, i heard that they no longer sell them. But im not sure. Here's the link to their website : www.backalley.com.sg . And im sorry that there is no graff shop around here in SG.

Most of the local writers prefer "Nippon Pylox". Other substitution for colours would probably be "Anchor" spray (Got them at ArtFriend) or RJ london or others. U can get these from any hardware store (Provision shops or DIY store) Be warned tho' that this is just industrial paint and tend to suck. And it does not provide any special caps/tips with it. U have to get them here: www.scriptone.multiply.com (The cap fit for pylox paint)

Well, hopefully ive answered any of your questions. If u have any enquiries, do post it here n i'll try to help you as much as i can. And yeh, Michael Faye is a total joke to the graff community. Peace~

mattdiamond

Re: Graffiti Acessoirs/Cans in Singapore?

Post by mattdiamond » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 5:11 pm

Did you ever find good cans in Singapore? We are coming to Singapore to refit a restaurant soon (graffiti and streetart) and need quality cans.

Are any available in Singapore ?

Thanks in Advance