Singapore Expats

Comestic and Plastic surgery in Taiwan

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
aneles
Regular
Regular

Rhinoplasty with Dr Kao

Post by aneles » Sun, 14 Dec 2008 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

I am right now in Taipei! Arrived last week & finally went through my rhino with Dr Kao on the 11th. Going to Dr Chuang tomorrow for my eyes.

Tons to say, lots I went through from these few short days in Taipei - I dont know where to even start writing.

Dont mind my babble right now & will post more when I have composed my thoughts better.

1st & foremost, I need to applaud those that came alone to this foreign country (like recently handsomepiglet aka uglypiglet) - the pain, ordeal tt one goes thru after surgery (esp. autologous rhino OR going thru multiple surgeries), I'm amazed/shocked tt pple went through all that s__t & actually played it down when they wrote about their post-surgery experience.

IMHO, To sum it up - when I woke up straight after surgery - it literally felt like I just got hit by a train.

Did anyone feel pain in their eyes after their surgery? For me, when I woke up from surgery, I was screaming for my eyes as it hurt like F!!! it felt like there was needles poking my eyes constantly - gosh, the pain from the eyes was enough to divert any pain from the nose or rib.

That night was a totally horrifying time for me as there was so much pain. I begged for morphine but was denied.

To those who went thru the same op - did you guys feel similar level of pain OR am i the unlucky one that felt all these torment?

Will write more later when I get more inspiration.

BTW, there was a singapore lady tt was operated by Dr Kao last Wed (10th) & I understand that she is staying here in Kangning Apts - PM me if you wanna meet. :D

Lastly, i want to advise anyone that is planning to do their nose & eyes together - according to Dr Kao & Dr Chuang - it should be the eyes 1st, then the nose. Not the other way around. Kitty & I assumed it was nose then eyes & only after meeting the docs, we realised that we planned it all wrong. Dr Chuang even said that he might not be able to operate on us if we are still swollen on the 5th day after our nose surgery. I just want pple to know abt this so that they are not mislead & avoid wasting their days/time & extra money on accomodation.

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter
Location: Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

Re: Rhinoplasty with Dr Kao

Post by feline.eyes » Sun, 14 Dec 2008 7:25 pm

aneles wrote:Hi guys,

I am right now in Taipei! Arrived last week & finally went through my rhino with Dr Kao on the 11th. Going to Dr Chuang tomorrow for my eyes.

Tons to say, lots I went through from these few short days in Taipei - I dont know where to even start writing.

Dont mind my babble right now & will post more when I have composed my thoughts better.

1st & foremost, I need to applaud those that came alone to this foreign country (like recently handsomepiglet aka uglypiglet) - the pain, ordeal tt one goes thru after surgery (esp. autologous rhino OR going thru multiple surgeries), I'm amazed/shocked tt pple went through all that s__t & actually played it down when they wrote about their post-surgery experience.

IMHO, To sum it up - when I woke up straight after surgery - it literally felt like I just got hit by a train.

Did anyone feel pain in their eyes after their surgery? For me, when I woke up from surgery, I was screaming for my eyes as it hurt like F!!! it felt like there was needles poking my eyes constantly - gosh, the pain from the eyes was enough to divert any pain from the nose or rib.

That night was a totally horrifying time for me as there was so much pain. I begged for morphine but was denied.

To those who went thru the same op - did you guys feel similar level of pain OR am i the unlucky one that felt all these torment?

BTW, there was a singapore lady tt was operated by Dr Kao last Wed (10th) & I understand that she is staying here in Kangning Apts - PM me if you wanna meet. :D

Lastly, i want to advise anyone that is planning to do their nose & eyes together - according to Dr Kao & Dr Chuang - it should be the eyes 1st, then the nose. Not the other way around. Kitty & I assumed it was nose then eyes & only after meeting the docs, we realised that we planned it all wrong. Dr Chuang even said that he might not be able to operate on us if we are still swollen on the 5th day after our nose surgery. I just want pple to know abt this so that they are not mislead & avoid wasting their days/time & extra money on accomodation.
In case anyone completely missed my point the last time round ^_^ :

I think it depends on the time lapse in between surgeries. It is better to have your rhinoplasty first if you are planning to have epicanthoplasty (not blepharoplasty) because it will give you a clearer idea. If you are just having blepharoplasty, it doesnt matter which way you go first. But most importantly plan your trip in advance according to the days you can take off because you need at least two weeks between your rhinoplasty and epicanthoplasty. I don't advocate doing one surgery after another immediately in any way or form. If you can't take time off, I personally think it is better to space them out. I worry about the burden the surgeries will place.
Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

UglyPiglet

Post by UglyPiglet » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:21 am

U go girl~! The pain was gruesome right after the surgery when I still recalled the stupid nurse :mad: ask me to breathe myself as they remove the oxygen mask from me. Which actually I'm already breathing at my own. Wow my throat at that time was so dry and thirsty and the nurse refuse to let me have a sip but using the damn cotton wool soak with water to moist my lips :mad: But somehow U've to try endure the pain when u visit the toilet that night. After that night, the pain subside. For the sharp pain that u felt on ur eyes, I've not encounter it. Most probably already numb or immune after my dbl eyelid surgery...... Congrats, the very obstacles is cleared, next is rest well for your eyes. Continue to update your condition and progress, gorgeous aneles :)

moonlight_pmdct
Regular
Regular

Post by moonlight_pmdct » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:03 am

Thanks Feline.eyes. You're the best!!

feline.eyes wrote:
moonlight_pmdct wrote:Thanks Feline.eyes,

you are right. Every procedures has its pros and cons. I also heard that the suture method will still present after you close your eyes:(

Weeles,
yup possibly. I find it uncomfortable that a surgeon is not willing to show his/her works :(

Ladies and gents,
I have a quick question that I wonder if you guys can help me with.
I have talked to two travel agencies regarding visa to Taiwan and they said that if I'm visiting Taiwan for less than 30 days, I don't need a visa (I will only be there for 10 days or less) Is this true? I would really like to confirm this.

When you go there yourself, did you get a visa?

Appreciate your input.
I was there for three weeks and I didn't need one.

moonlight_pmdct
Regular
Regular

Post by moonlight_pmdct » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:07 am

Appletree,
How are you doing? How is your nose healing up?

Uglypiglet,
Congrats and thank you for sharing. You look totally different from the old pics. Your face looks younger and more defined.

Kittygirl,
Are you and Aneles (spelling) at the apartment right now? How is everything? Kaka and I will be in Taipei next week.

moonlight_pmdct
Regular
Regular

Post by moonlight_pmdct » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:14 am

Aneles,

why was morphine being denied???? Did they give you any pain medications??? omg this is scary!

I'll see you in Taipei next week!!

ukorientalgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by ukorientalgirl » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:24 am

moonlight pmdct,

Please keep us updated on your stay in Taipei, it would be interesting to see how you get on there with the language barrier and getting around etc. I am interested in staying in kang ning apartments also if I go to taipei next year.

Good luck and all the best

x

boii18
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boii18 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 7:18 am

kittygirl8 wrote:I’m finally in Taipei now for the beginning of my PS aka ‘cheongster’ journey. Albeit for a few hiccups, everything went pretty well.

I had my first consultation with Dr Chuang (Wish clinic) yesterday and I should say I left with more profound respect towards him. It was quite surreal to finally meet him in person after hearing so many rave reviews about him and you know what, he truly lives up to his name. He’s extremely kind and personable, and so easy to talk to, a father like figure which makes one feels so easy to trust and confide in. More importantly, I feel that he truly has passion for his work and truly wants to help others to improve their looks, and not solely about dollar and cents.

He spent almost 2 hours with me and Aneles (who is also from this forum and with whom I travel together with for this trip) albeit long lines of patients behind us, with the nurses coming in repeatedly to ‘tear’ him away from us. But he patiently attended to all our queries, even to the extent of giving me many useful advise with regards to rhinoplasty, even though I’ll be doing this with another doctor. He also showed me many photos of his past patients on his computer and we were so totally awed by his skill and expertise as there were so many examples of people who were like plain Jane before PS, but after the operation, look absolutely gorgeous! His aesthetic skill is just so good!

I was even tempted to have my rhinoplasty done by him after that but due to cost and some other minor factors, have to forgo this thought. But I will still be going to him for double eyelid and epi next week and am looking so forward to it! :)

Other than that, the apartment I stay in - Kanning apartment, is fairly good, although I was alittle pissed off when I was asked to pay NT$3000 (SG$100+) when I accidentally misplaced the door key to my room. Other than that, the location is ideal with amenities like 7-11, small eatery and hair salons within walking distance. Ray, the cab driver who was referred by fellow forummer, Vickyabc, is extremely nice and accommodating to our needs, which makes our navigation around Taipei so much easier. Thanks Vicky! :)

I’ll be having my rinoplasty tomorrow and am getting even jitterier now. Hope all the pain and money will be worth it with this PS cheongster emerging with victory! Lol.

:D
Hope your rhino, epi and blepharoplasty did go well with Dr Chuang; Do update us!
lip lift (somyos) - sept09, eyes, lip redn in taipei - dec09

kaka
Regular
Regular

Post by kaka » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:31 am

moonlight & aneles, see you next week!

kittygirl8
Regular
Regular

Post by kittygirl8 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:14 pm

boii18 wrote:
kittygirl8 wrote:I’m finally in Taipei now for the beginning of my PS aka ‘cheongster’ journey. Albeit for a few hiccups, everything went pretty well.

I had my first consultation with Dr Chuang (Wish clinic) yesterday and I should say I left with more profound respect towards him. It was quite surreal to finally meet him in person after hearing so many rave reviews about him and you know what, he truly lives up to his name. He’s extremely kind and personable, and so easy to talk to, a father like figure which makes one feels so easy to trust and confide in. More importantly, I feel that he truly has passion for his work and truly wants to help others to improve their looks, and not solely about dollar and cents.

He spent almost 2 hours with me and Aneles (who is also from this forum and with whom I travel together with for this trip) albeit long lines of patients behind us, with the nurses coming in repeatedly to ‘tear’ him away from us. But he patiently attended to all our queries, even to the extent of giving me many useful advise with regards to rhinoplasty, even though I’ll be doing this with another doctor. He also showed me many photos of his past patients on his computer and we were so totally awed by his skill and expertise as there were so many examples of people who were like plain Jane before PS, but after the operation, look absolutely gorgeous! His aesthetic skill is just so good!

I was even tempted to have my rhinoplasty done by him after that but due to cost and some other minor factors, have to forgo this thought. But I will still be going to him for double eyelid and epi next week and am looking so forward to it! :)

Other than that, the apartment I stay in - Kanning apartment, is fairly good, although I was alittle pissed off when I was asked to pay NT$3000 (SG$100+) when I accidentally misplaced the door key to my room. Other than that, the location is ideal with amenities like 7-11, small eatery and hair salons within walking distance. Ray, the cab driver who was referred by fellow forummer, Vickyabc, is extremely nice and accommodating to our needs, which makes our navigation around Taipei so much easier. Thanks Vicky! :)

I’ll be having my rinoplasty tomorrow and am getting even jitterier now. Hope all the pain and money will be worth it with this PS cheongster emerging with victory! Lol.

:D
Hope your rhino, epi and blepharoplasty did go well with Dr Chuang; Do update us!
Hi Boii18,

Thanks for your kind concern. I just got back from the hospital after my rhinoplasty and no, i didnt had that done by Dr Chuang, but have planned to have epi & blepharoplasty done by him tomorrow, but I am worrying about having the possibility to do that now as I am swelling like crazy and Dr Chuang did mention that he will refuse to operate if there is too much swelling as it will be difficult for him to do a accurate analysis during the eye surgery. (that's why I think he's a very ethical doctor and respect him for that)

Regarding the debate over whether to have the eyes or the nose done first, my understanding from Dr Chuang was that its really a catch 22 situation. Firstly, if you have the eyes done first, assuming you're doing it with different doctor, the doctor who did your rhinoplasty after that will have some major problem trying to be really delicate not to tear the fresh stitches on your eyes as there will bound to be some pulling and stretching during the nose surgery.

However, if one decide to do the nose first, be well prepared for the swelling which will make it very difficult for the eye surgery to be performed as the doctor might not have a accurate analysis of the eyes to perform it accurately.

So after learning about this and after what I've personally gone through now, I should say that either you have the eyes and nose performed by the same doctor on the same day, otherwise, its good to plan at least 2 to 3 weeks for the trip so that there will be ample time for the swelling to de-swell in between the surgeries.
Last edited by kittygirl8 on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Closest buddy- Cold pack
Most intimate pal - Q-tip
Biggest dilemma - Identity crisis
Worst enemies - Comedy, funny tawainese talk show

kittygirl8
Regular
Regular

Post by kittygirl8 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 1:26 pm

Day One (D-day)

Surreal was the only word to describe it as I found myself being wheeled to the operating room. Staring at the moving wall above me while 2 other nurses wheeled me in, it reminds me very much of the many scenes from TV shows, especially ER. Finally it stopped and I have reached my final destination - the same one I've been planning for months - and now its finally here.

Lying on the hospital bed just outside the operating theatre while awaiting for the doctor to arrive, my heart was fluttering like crazy. Two very kind nurses from the opreating theatre came over to talk to me and boy they are so funny! They asked about where I am from, about shopping and cracked lotsa jokes - especially one of them who is so totally hilarious with this variety of pens in the pocket of her operatiing gown that comes attached with some cartoon characters - one of them is a bumble bee - and she really makes me laugh so hard when the other nurses, even the anesthesiologist joined in and tried to flipped at the bumble bee, attempting to destroy it. They even talked about how these cartoon pens perked up their mood, and how impressive it would be if they get the head of the director to sign any documents with it.

Everyone was kinda goofy for awhile which I felt very touched as I know they are doing their best to try to calm my nerves. One of them - the same 'bumble bee' nurse even mentioned that I have very beautiful eyes (not knowing I plan to do eye surgery after this) and told me not to do it.

Finally, lying on the operating table while the nurses and anesthesiologist were busily getting prep up for the surgery, thoughts of jumping off the table and ran out of the theatre room raced through my mind - do I really want to put myself through this? Will I be able to make it back alive? Before long, an oxygen mask was placed over my nose and slowly, I drifted out of consciousness.

5 Hours later

The first thing that woke me up is the excruciating pain that I felt on my ankle. It feels like someone has hammered a hammer on it and I remember saying repeatedly to the nurses that my leg hurts. I was then wheeled into the same room that Aneles is in and I remember that she commented that I seem to be looking very well as compared to her when she was wheeled out from the theatre room. I said a little prayer of thanks to God and drifted to sleep.
Last edited by kittygirl8 on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Closest buddy- Cold pack

chubbycasper

Post by chubbycasper » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:42 pm

Hi Aneles & Kittygirl8,

I had my eyes and nose done last week too and am still staying at Kangning service apt now, returning to sg on wed. I'm in room 1000 if you wanna meet up :)

kittygirl8
Regular
Regular

Post by kittygirl8 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 3:47 pm

The Pain

Strangely, I started to feel the same pricking pain in my left eyes as what Aneles has experienced. It is truly the most agonising pain, so much so that it over shadowed the other pain from the rib and the stuffed up nose.

I was told by the nurse that we're not allowed to drink any water or take any food at least 6 hours after the surgery to avoid bleeding to the internal organs. (To 'Ugly/Super/handsome piglet', probably this is the reason why the nurse wouldnt give you water when you requested and its truly argonising especially when we would have fasted for like over 10 over hours since the night before and have to endure another 6 more hours after surgery)

The worst part is when I try to move my body and that's only when I experience the full extent of the pain from the right side, where the rib was harvested. The only word that I can describe the pain is that it felt that a part of me has been ripped/sawed off. Even a little thing like swallowing and coughing is enough to hurt the hell of of you, thus I cant imagine who those other forummer who had talked about vomitting. Other than that, the nose will keep dripping blood like mine did, its really like a pool of tap water, except its your own blood that is oozing out.
Coughing out or swallowing the phlegm is a major feat too as it will send ripple of pain to the rib area. Trying to get any sleep is difficult too as the nose will either be too stuffed up that you can't even breathe, or it would be constantly dripping with blood.

Caretaker

I would strongly suggest anyone who is planning to do rhinoplasty via rib harvesting to either have someone close to you to come along, or please employ a caretaker cos for the first two days, you would probably be 'paralysed', especially the part when you need to get up to go to the bathroom. It is impossible to get up on your own cos the pain for that little small act is enough to kill you. (so dun ever take little normal act of getting out of bed every morning for granted now ;))

What we slowly learned is to try to get up via using the left hand and the left side of your body, but that too need some skill. So for anyone planning to do this, please 'practise; getting up from the bed every morning for at least 3 mths prior to the surgery if you tend to get up via the right side, but then again, I wonder if that would help much cos the pain can be so argonising, even a mere act of moving your body is painful. The pain however would somehow dissipate if you manage to find the 'right angle' and remain at that which would make the pain from the rib seem somewhat lessen.

Well some may say that the nurse would probably be able to help on this, but somehow or rather, it doesnt seem to be the 'duty' of the nurses over here to do so. They do of course help one to get up and etc when you asked but they would not go out of the way to help you and seemed somewhat 'business like' if that's the right way to put it. My experience was for a few times, they would help you to get up, some doesnt and just stand and watch you struggle, or other times they 'disappear' after helping you get up from bed, and you would have to make your own way to the bathroom and back. With the drip on one hand where you also need to pull along the big metal stand where the drip is hung on, it also makes getting around rather immobile. So folks, dont expect any 'Japanese fantasy nurses here lol.

It would help to bring along a straw for drinking, lip gross for the dry and cracked lip and a small compact mirror where it helps to see better when you are cleaning the inside of the nose with the q-tip while in bed cos the nurse aint gonna help on that either. Its good to bring along 2 packs of ice pack so you dont have to wait for it to freeze up all the time. Of course it would be good if the hospital can provide.
Closest buddy- Cold pack

kittygirl8
Regular
Regular

Post by kittygirl8 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:34 pm

Day Two

The rib is still hurting but not as bad as the previous night. I couldnt get any sleep over the night due to the discomfort + the nurse would be in to take your pressure and temperature every couple of hours.

My nose is still dripping with blood water, especially when I try to get up to take my food or go to the bathroom. I have literally lost all my sense of taste and smell but well I guess that's a good thing for now cos the hospital food is so blend you wouldnt have any appetite anyway.

I can't help but laughed now when I think about how Aneles couldnt understand why I was so excited and kept gushing to her how nice is the smell of the chicken wings the auntie patient directly opposite our bed was having for lunch, and it makes me so hungry!! That was the day before I had my surgery and was fasting before going into the operating theatre. Without any sense and taste has its disadvantage as you literally wouldnt have any appetite to eat and I learnt it the hard way cos I hadnt been eating much and was so weak to walk on the very next day when I was due to be discharge from hospital. I had also lie in bed for practically the 2 days in hospital as my nose will start to bleed like tap water once I get up. So at the end of the day, try to eat as much as you can cos you will need all the energy you need to recuperate after that.

We were also pretty amazed by how Uglypiglet was able to be discharged on the 2nd day and have practically been through half of Taiwan by now while we were both still feeling like a dead meat even on our 3rd day. Should I call you SUPERpiglet now? Hehe... :D

Major feat of the day for me was to be able to get up on my own after somehow managing to achieve the skill of using the left side of my body. Not only that, but to also learn how to 'wiggle' myself back to bed after that cos one other thing other than getting up is to lie back down again cos it hurts equally as much.

Simple act like coughing still hurts and Aneles and myself have come to the pact that we would quickly switched channels if we see any funny taiwanese variety shows on TV as laughing is simply a no no and a killer pain at the rib area.

For those who is planning to do rhinoplasty via rib harvesting, please please be mentally and physically prepared cos it is definitely no walk in the park and is definitely a very exhausting and painful ordeal. It really take so much out of one physically and mentally and sometimes, the discomfort is so argonising, especially when the nose is so stuffed up when you can hardly breathe while asleep that I really feel like ripping off the cast on the nose.

Everyday is a challenge and brings new physically pain and the 'pain of the day' today is my back has started to ache. Maybe Im a old lady that is why it takes so much out of me. But I hope my experience, which unfortunately seemed to be besotted with so much physically pain and discomfort, would somewhat help those who may be planning to go down this route - eat well, take lotsa vitamins, exercise at least 3 months prior to pep up your body for this demanding and draining ordeal.
Last edited by kittygirl8 on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Closest buddy- Cold pack

kittygirl8
Regular
Regular

Post by kittygirl8 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Moonlight & Kaka,

Yes let's catch up when you gals are here next week, looking forward to seeing you gals! :)

hey chubbygasper,

Loved your nick! I will try to drop by your room later, am waiting for Aneles to come back from her eye surgery. Will I have a gasper lookalike opening the door for me when I drop by your room lol!

Catch up with you later :)
Closest buddy- Cold pack