Singapore Expats

CPF and citizenship

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
cyberagl

CPF and citizenship

Post by cyberagl » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:34 am

Hi!!

I understand that after being granted PR status, the new PR has the choice to contribute to CPF either paying 20% of the salary from the very beginning or go to an "easier" way where the first year the PR pays roughly 5% - employer 3%, second year 14% employer dunno, and finally in the third year is 20% from the employee and 14.5% from the employer.

I would like to also apply for citizenship asap which means I wouldn't have much money in my CPF account.

Now, my question is the following: How relevant is to have a good CPF contribution when dealing with a citizen application? Should I choose to pay 20% of my salary from the beginning or the slower path?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 1:26 pm

It has absolutely no bearing on your citizenship application what so ever. The paying of the 20% rate is elective and makes absolutely no difference as it's only for the first 24 months. After that it reverts to the full rates at the beginning of the 3rd year. And with a cap of only 4,500/mo to pay on, the difference is chump change to the government. What matters is if they think you will produce male babies as cannon fodder for their military and if you have enough smarts to keep the government from having to support you rather than you supporting the government with money and male babies.

If you can string together half a dozen words in the proper order, you are a shoe in for citizenship as they need to replenish the gene pool urgently. It used to be they were extremely selective even giving PR but now days, with the deleted gene pool, they are virtually giving it away if you can spell your name correctly on the first go...... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cyberagl

thanks for the helpful reply

Post by cyberagl » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 3:23 pm

Hi!! thanks for your fast and helpful reply.

The cap is 4500/mo? that's pretty high i would say. it is far way from being the 20+14.5= 34.5% of my salary. :)

Saint
Director
Director

Re: thanks for the helpful reply

Post by Saint » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 4:31 pm

cyberagl wrote:Hi!! thanks for your fast and helpful reply.

The cap is 4500/mo? that's pretty high i would say. it is far way from being the 20+14.5= 34.5% of my salary. :)
SMS means you only pay 20% of a max cap amount of $4500/month