Singapore Expats

Which mobile plan is best? SingTel, StarHub or M1?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
littleHanoian

Which mobile plan is best? SingTel, StarHub or M1?

Post by littleHanoian » Sun, 07 Dec 2008 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I am confused on which plan to choose between these 3. Could you help me on picking up the best?

My mobile allowance'll be paid by my employer and I will need to travel quite a lot so definitely will need to use the phone overseas for emails and conference calls sometimes.

Many thanks!!!
Hannah
Last edited by littleHanoian on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

technobatta

Post by technobatta » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 3:27 pm

in terms of roaming, i'd say use singtel

nothing much to separate the 3 operators nowadays

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Hannah and welcome to the forums. This question has been answered many times here, so to give yourself some background on what others have said, try the search function on the top right frame of the page.

However, it's a fluid market here, and the three majors do try to "compete". That being said, it will be best to analyse your current calling patterns and start a spreadsheet to compare the offerings. One other suggestion it to get a prepaid SIM card for your first few months and see how you go with that - you can then properly analyse your calling patterns once your are here.

Roaming - expensive regardless of carrier and regardless of country! Have a look into alternative forms of communication particularly if you have a notebook and will be logging into your hotel broadband etc. Mobile data in particular is a killer.

Conference calls - best to have your employer look at using a global service with free/local call indial. There are plenty of worldwide providers for this.

FYI - we went with StarHub as it offerred attractive deals when bundling multiple mobiles, cable TV, and broadband access. That worked for us based on our usage and patterns, so don't take that as gospel!

All the best, post back if you need some more help!

Mr. P

littleHanoian

Post by littleHanoian » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:29 pm

Hi technobatta and sierra, many thanks for your info. I'd search & study the previous posts but most likely I think I'd opt for SingTel....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 7:22 am

If your traveling takes you to Korea or Japan, then you may want to consider a phone which also supports UMTS, for example the Nokia E65. Most phones won't work there.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:27 am

I personally like Starhubs plan as you can get all three (mobile, cable and broadband) onto one plan with discounts for such and their rewards program can be used against billable items transferable between services.
Be Like Water

SmartDude

Post by SmartDude » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:18 pm

singtel network is much better than starhub and M1. I myself using Singtel, quite good.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If your traveling takes you to Korea or Japan, then you may want to consider a phone which also supports UMTS, for example the Nokia E65. Most phones won't work there.
I believe all 3G phones work in Korea and Japan.

Anyway, I'm another on SingTel.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:48 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:If your traveling takes you to Korea or Japan, then you may want to consider a phone which also supports UMTS, for example the Nokia E65. Most phones won't work there.

I'm not sure this is correct. Japan and Korea operate at 2100 MHz whereas everywhere else operates at 900 MHz/1800 MHz or 850 MHz/1900 MHz bands. So even if the protocol is the same the frequency is different.

But, somebody correct me if I am wrong. My experience is that if your phone does not specifically say 'UMTS 2100' it won't work.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 2:10 pm

Anyone know who is cheaper for a pay as you go sim card (calling Australia and Indonesia) with international roaming???

Please advise.
Be Like Water

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 6:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:

I'm not sure this is correct. Japan and Korea operate at 2100 MHz whereas everywhere else operates at 900 MHz/1800 MHz or 850 MHz/1900 MHz bands. So even if the protocol is the same the frequency is different.

But, somebody correct me if I am wrong. My experience is that if your phone does not specifically say 'UMTS 2100' it won't work.
all 3G fone will work in japan and korea when roaming. GSM fone will not. their 3G technology is W-CDMA (UMTS).