Singapore Expats

The best TV series ever produced?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:47 am

Dad's Army and Hogan's Heroes.
Be Like Water

Isambard
Regular
Regular

Post by Isambard » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:22 am

Fawlty Towers has got to be up there

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 2:36 pm

A wonderfully subjective topic...........

My vote would have to go to The Sweeney - decades a ahead of its time, and of course Dr Who - the new series' have my kids running behind the sofa just as I did following Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom "I am the dok-tah" Baker.

Comedy - well I have always liked mine on the slanted side so The League of Gentlemen and Vic Reeves Big Night Out are my all time favourites. My "mainstream" comedy accolades would go to One Foot in the Grave, brilliantly contrived storylines and wicked characterisation. The Office (English version), goes without saying right?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 8:26 pm

Bwahaha... Fawlty towers, that was another great one!

You can find clips of Laugh-in, Dean Martin, Tom Jones, Smothers brothers and all those old shows on Youtube. The country version of Laugh in was HeeHaw... Jr. Samples was the funniest redneck on tv.
Pakjohn

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:36 am

In no particular order.

Blacks books
The green wing
The wire
Rome
Life on Mars (UK)
Ashes to Ashes
Murphy's Law
Pheonix Nights

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 9:50 am

Fawlty Towers - Brilliant, the only down side of starting this thread is the amount of TV viewing that I realise I need to do, so much to view so little time....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:04 am

Oh S**T! I plumb forgot about HeeHaw! :( Must be gettin sum of dat Alzheimer stuff! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:04 pm

hee-haw! lol. i seem to remember Benny Hill somewhere in the mix. or what about the Carol Burnett show???? i was really little - but i used to think that was really funny.

my2centsworth

Post by my2centsworth » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 1:27 pm

Forks wrote:
cbat wrote:What about

The wire
Definitely the wire, brilliant stuff.

Does anybody know where to buy it here ?

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 1:59 pm

Its funny but almost every other US series is easy to find here or is one cable but the wire isnt, I got mine sent from the states, the box sets can be got pretty cheap from Ebay etc and its definitely worth it.

like any good show you have to watch it again and again to get all the plot points and figure the relationships, nothing is just a give away and like a good novel you cant just skip chapters or parts. Also since it has no car chases or shoot outs, although it does have some shooting in a few places it builds very slowly but when it does its tense and hard not to watch the next episode straight away.

The best part about it is that unlike Lost or shows like that where its always a mystery to whats happening and sometimes fairly ret-con like plot twists (the invisible monster anyone) you can see whats coming with the wire but how it plays out is what makes it so good very human, not good guy bad guy just human.

all in all one of the best things I have seen on television in a long time.
Poking, poking everywhere...

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:06 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Only Fools & Horses. I was watching one episode on DVD where Delboy went hang gliding and I laughed so hard that I had a coughing fit and nearly passed out! I loved Last of the Summer Wine too.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:19 pm

you can get season 1 & 2 of the wire on itunes.

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:46 pm

Addadude wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned Only Fools & Horses.
You are dead right, it is wrongly overlooked. BBC Prime is showing it here, just saw the one where Grandad goes up to take down the chandelier. And what about the one where they pretend to be professinal tennis players to pick up the birds? When one of them asks Rodney if he prefers grass or astroturf he says "I don't know, I've never smoked astroturf". Is it possible to buy/download the Christmas Specials?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:46 pm

Addadude wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned Only Fools & Horses. I was watching one episode on DVD where Delboy went hang gliding and I laughed so hard that I had a coughing fit and nearly passed out! I loved Last of the Summer Wine too.
I can watch Only Fools and Horses all day!

When Mrs S first came to UK many moons ago she couldn't a word they were saying, let alone the humour. After a year or so she loved it and just how true the character and plots can be to real life UK!

cbat

Post by cbat » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 4:43 pm

I got my copies via amazon.com Haven't seen them in any stores out here or in Canada when I was there last week. It seems to be a hard to find series