Singapore Expats

Urgent advice:job offer 4000 per month, no housing&travel

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
gpl2008

Urgent advice:job offer 4000 per month, no housing&trave

Post by gpl2008 » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 9:51 pm

:???:

1. Confused...am offered a sal of 4000$ per month, medicals paid but no payment of housing nor travel back home. I'm presently a therapist in India and wanted to know if this is a good deal as I would be moving to Spore for the 1st time.
2. Are there any reputed YWCA kind of arrangements for single women that are safe and economical

Need to give a reply tomorrow and want to have some feedback from anybody in the area...thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:32 pm

With the current financial market I'm surprised you even got an offer. Also, I foresee salary offers heading south anytime now. If you are looking to get in the door here you might have to tighten up your belt for a while but it would at least put you here where you can beef up your network a bit and when the economy starts heading upwards you will be well placed to take advantage of it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 2:00 pm

$4000 a month, wow that's a very good offer, why worried about housing payment and travel cost ?

I'm paid $2600 a month for a software development job with no significant benefits, think about that.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:27 pm

Could i possibly say given the market condition now, there are not surprise that getting a permit would be much more difficult than usual even though the government still welcomes foreigner... Hah!..Pray that i could get an approve status from my appeal

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Post by Hithnar » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 1:01 am

4000$ considering the living costs and low taxes is still pretty good.

CSG

Post by CSG » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:50 am

Im not an expert on your field but $4,000 for a therapist position seems very good.

jesse.armand, $2600 for software delveopment? are you a fresh graduate?

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 1:49 am

CSG wrote:Im not an expert on your field but $4,000 for a therapist position seems very good.

jesse.armand, $2600 for software delveopment? are you a fresh graduate?
No, I'm not a fresh grad. I've been working for 2 years.

I already know from the start that it's a low pay, but since I'm young and single, and I do need to move to SG immediately. I have lots of future plans, and moving here would help me a bit.

I'm not a UK, US, or another advanced country expat, so well you get it :) .

CSG

Post by CSG » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 9:51 pm

True as long as your here, you can try many other things. I assumed you were french due to your username haha

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:31 pm

I'd say Jesse's name is a product of his Spanish ancestors if my guess as to his country of origin is correct. (PI correct?) :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd say Jesse's name is a product of his Spanish ancestors if my guess as to his country of origin is correct. (PI correct?) :wink:
What is PI ?

French ? Spanish ? :lol:

I thought Jesse is common among those living in western country (especially US). You can explore the forums if you want to know what is my country of origin and my race :).

I'm getting more out of topic here, but the point is $4000 is quite high for an immigrant from developing countries. Especially, if your job doesn't involved thinking how to design an object oriented system, with high level of dynamism, scalability, and reusability, plus great user interface.

Ruki

Post by Ruki » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 6:01 pm

yeah.. is quite gd..

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Urgent advice:job offer 4000 per month, no housing&t

Post by ksl » Tue, 02 Dec 2008 5:45 pm

gpl2008 wrote::???:

1. Confused...am offered a sal of 4000$ per month, medicals paid but no payment of housing nor travel back home. I'm presently a therapist in India and wanted to know if this is a good deal as I would be moving to Spore for the 1st time.
2. Are there any reputed YWCA kind of arrangements for single women that are safe and economical

Need to give a reply tomorrow and want to have some feedback from anybody in the area...thanks
Therapist? what kind of therapist?

4000$ A month is a good income in general many educated Singaporeans are earning a lot less.
However what worries me, is the fact that you are a single woman and that you may be at risk. Please ensure you have a reliable safety net and friends to rely on, in case of a problem.

It would be advisable to check the Company out. There have been cases of women being tricked into prostitution here in Singapore from China, and the pimps are sure to be on the prowl all the time, just be aware of the fact, it does happen. and be wise

You will be able to find accommadation, with other single women, I believe! You can easy live off 4000$ a month and like SMS says, you get your foot in the door!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... apore.html

Mustafa Hotel is cheaper in Little India, but i have no idea what it's like, but if the security is like the shop, then you will be fine! It's very well known in Little India.
http://www.newasia-singapore.com/singap ... 03278.html

banker

Post by banker » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 2:47 am

jesse.armand wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd say Jesse's name is a product of his Spanish ancestors if my guess as to his country of origin is correct. (PI correct?) :wink:
What is PI ?

French ? Spanish ? :lol:

I thought Jesse is common among those living in western country (especially US). You can explore the forums if you want to know what is my country of origin and my race :).

I'm getting more out of topic here, but the point is $4000 is quite high for an immigrant from developing countries. Especially, if your job doesn't involved thinking how to design an object oriented system, with high level of dynamism, scalability, and reusability, plus great user interface.
I'm impressed with your profile - very passionate iPhone programming guy ah? Wish you all the best in Singapore.
I love Singapore

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:18 pm

banker wrote: I'm impressed with your profile - very passionate iPhone programming guy ah? Wish you all the best in Singapore.
Hmm.. which profile ?

Getting more Out of topic here, if you're interested about that, let's talk about it in other places.

Anyway, iPhone is just a promotion tool :)

What matters are the things behind all of those (if the Cupertino guys doing it right this time, the Redmond guys would be over someday) :)