Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
candybar

:)

Post by candybar » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:05 pm

hi u said 10% sucess chance in interview but was not even able to go for the next interview....anyway 2cm i dont think makes a difference between 156cm n 158cm where passengers will be able to see me a not la...2cm not 2 inch ...but rules r still rules since they have so many to choose so doesn't matter to them about our hard waiting time wasted! :)

deja

Post by deja » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:13 pm

I gained a lot here and here I am, making an attempt to contribute back. Perhaps I shall also share my encounters today when the memory is still fresh. :) My day at sheraton went similarly to flawlessbeauty's (check few pages back), so I will just add on hers with my personal input.

Upon arrival____________
Reaching at 9.30am, the queue was already very long (my estimation is ~300+ people) and it was close to 11am when I could have my application form submitted and height measured. Regardless of height, the lady also asked everyone to reach up and touch the red tape on the pillar. tip-toe was allowed.

However, for those +/-158 cc wannabes, if you want to try touching the red tape at its designated height (i forgot the measurement) prior to spending effort to queue for the interview, do try to stand at least a foot-step away from the wall when reaching up. This is the actual scenario in place by requirement. By doing so, we were like reaching slightly up and forward. Thus, the max height reachable would be slightly shorter compared to reaching up when standing against the wall.
(This isn't really a tips, but rather... a sharing? to those who wanna self-test in advance at home :P)

Round 1 (group interview)_____________
Thereafter, we were grouped in 10. My group waited for ~45mins before entering the interview room. My group composed of candidates of diverse age (20-26) and background (ppl in workforce, undergraduates, cc from other airline, and even a mother). We were asked to stand up and self-introduce. Selective candidates were posted questions: What quality of you do you think can match with the requirement of SIA CC? Everyone in my group was prepared in advance and in average, all were confident and outspoken.

Result: 3 out of 10 proceeded to round 2 (fortunate me was one of them :D)

It ended at 12.20pm. We were told to have a lunch break and reported at 1.45pm.

Round 2 (kebaya fit + skin check + interview)_____________
Upon returning, we had our original documents reviewed. An half hour wait followed before we, a new group of 10, proceeded to the room for round 2 (kebaya fitting + skin check). Each candidate faced two interviewers respectively in the room. The first one reviewed our look and posture in kebaya while interviewing us individually, while the second one (aka beautician) continued to interview us one by one while asking you to turn left, turn right, face back, straighten the arms, palm up, palm down... My kebaya was too long; with the hope not to trip over it while walking, I shortened it by folding it at the waist. :oops:

I observed that the interviewers combined their reports of respective candidate and had a discussion to come up with the interview result collectively.

Result: 6 out of 10 proceeded to round 3 (I was surprised :o!)

This round completed at around 3.15pm. Followed by a short wait of approximately 15 min, we were led to another room for round 3 (1-to-1 interview).

Round 3 (1-to-1 interview)_____________
Some interviewers were patient and nice, while others were commented as fierce.:cool: You might be asked to read a passage or simply proceed to Q&A.

Some of the questions asked (both mine and other girls')
- what does customer service mean to you?
- do you have any previous experience in customer service?
- did you have any encounter with nasty customer? how did you deal with him/her?
- why do you choose SIA over the other airlines?
- why do you think SIA should choose you?
- what is your expectation of being a cabin crew?
- are you prepared to have an irregular rest schedule?
- scenario: In flight, a passenger who claimed to have an unpleasant experience with the ground crew complained to you, what will you do? and how will you respond to him?
- scenario: a drunk passenger is requesting for more alcohol, what will you do?

Result: out of the 6 candidates in the same group who made it through round 2 together, 4 passed. (not bad ya! 8-))

Round 4 (1-to2 management interview)_____________
I don't know much (yet!), because after 45 min of wait, I was told that my interview couldn't be accommodated due to time constraint and thus I would need to go down to STC for it on another day. you see! reaching at 9.30am couldn't even allow candidate to go through all 4 rounds of interview if applicable. If I predicted it so, I would have gone down even earlier to avoid such a situation and so as to return home with a definite outcome of the day-long interview. :x

Nonetheless, I'm very glad that my opportunity is still open and... pending.

I hope that my (commonly shared) personal sharing can give whoever missed the interview today another view of what to expect in the future interview, and hopefully some pointers to look out for at each respective rounds. :D

yuanz

Post by yuanz » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:20 pm

Mushroom wrote:
yuanz wrote:
Mushroom wrote:Hi all,
Btw does anyone know what are the ladies doing when they get our application and key into the laptop? Are they also checking our background like how many times we tried? Rejected their sister brand airlines offer thus blacklisted?
lol they're just keying the applications into the system prob to prevent those under ban or blacklisted ones from trying out w/n the ban period. they'd have records of how many times u tried yup but it doesnt affect ur chances of being selected.=)) today's passing rate is really low eh. jiayou ppl try again!! az dont be discouraged! if this is really ur passion then try again! alot depends on luck and esp now there's recession it'll definitely be harder since they'd be stricter in their selection, but i believe its subjective and depends on different interviewers as well. dont give up and believe in yourself! try again!
Hey Yuan,
Thanks for replying.
But does the records show a list of people who rejected Silkair or Tiger air contract? I really dun want to waste my time if there is a ban or i'm blacklisted cos i'll never get in.
nono i'm quite sure the record doesn't show, they wont blacklist you just beause you rejected other airlines' contract. you have a right to choose anyway. Try again! all the best!

shenoes
Regular
Regular

Post by shenoes » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:27 pm

pork12 wrote:
shenoes wrote:helo, anyone in grp 29? heehee.. btw, i happened to take a peep at one of the paper which state the ppl who pass the management round. I saw some remarks as KIV. I tink they still considering those ppl bah.. and there will be a next recruitment in 2-3 mths time :)
HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!?!
cos while i was waiting for my turn during the management rd and before me was a VERY handsome malay guy :D :D . he din make it thru so the lady told him to try the next interview which is in 2 mths time. so i guess there wont be any walk ins during december bah..

and wats with the ban? I din hear anyone mentioned it before. anyone have clearly explanation on the ban? i tot they only ban if one makes rude comments or keep queuing up when she/he oready failed the tests?
-shenoes-

summerboy02
Regular
Regular

Post by summerboy02 » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:35 pm

hey peeps...

just to share an encounter at sheraton today..

While waiting for the verification of my certs,a girl was found with insufficient credits for her SPM.She tried to reason but the lady brought the poor girl to see her "boss".Afterwhich,the poor girl disappeared.what a waste cos she make it to round 2.

The lady only checked for my Diploma cert but not my O level cert.

So,I feel that having meet the qualifications requirement is important especially if you are an O level holder.(At least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits including English to qualify)

But but,having said that...I have a steward friend who only has N level with a private diploma in tourism flying with SIA.

So,if you dont try you will never know right?

Cheerios

pork12
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pork12 » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:38 pm

shenoes wrote:cos while i was waiting for my turn during the management rd and before me was a VERY handsome malay guy :D :D . he din make it thru so the lady told him to try the next interview which is in 2 mths time. so i guess there wont be any walk ins during december bah..

and wats with the ban? I din hear anyone mentioned it before. anyone have clearly explanation on the ban? i tot they only ban if one makes rude comments or keep queuing up when she/he oready failed the tests?
That's the best news I've heard (for myself) so far!! That means more time to prepare and straighten out all my problems! Hopefully it's a write in! :lol:
And the only ban I heard of is the 'unofficial' one that happened when you failed the 1-1/mgmt interview.
Pigs CAN fly...... right?
You can when you believe!

rachelhoe

Post by rachelhoe » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:40 pm

lol talking about keep q-ing up... did anybody or anyone know of somebody Q up again after they fail?
One bad thing about making a deal with the devil is, he always comes to collect.

shenoes
Regular
Regular

Post by shenoes » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:51 pm

That's the best news I've heard (for myself) so far!! That means more time to prepare and straighten out all my problems! Hopefully it's a write in! :lol:
And the only ban I heard of is the 'unofficial' one that happened when you failed the 1-1/mgmt interview.[/quote]

unofficial ban? chim.. i dun understand.. btw, 1-1 and management interview is diff.. so which is it? do u mean fail management test will have a ban and cant apply as cc in SIA for hw long?
-shenoes-

pork12
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pork12 » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:00 pm

shenoes wrote:unofficial ban? chim.. i dun understand.. btw, 1-1 and management interview is diff.. so which is it? do u mean fail management test will have a ban and cant apply as cc in SIA for hw long?
I don't think I'm in the best position to give a good answer, but from prev posts, it seemed like if you failed either the 1-1 or the mgmt round, you will be 'banned' from passing the interview. I'm not sure if it's 4 or 6 mths, but it's around there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :???:
Pigs CAN fly...... right?
You can when you believe!

diversify

Post by diversify » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:06 pm

deja wrote:I gained a lot here and here I am, making an attempt to contribute back. Perhaps I shall also share my encounters today when the memory is still fresh. :) My day at sheraton went similarly to flawlessbeauty's (check few pages back), so I will just add on hers with my personal input.

Upon arrival____________
Reaching at 9.30am, the queue was already very long (my estimation is ~300+ people) and it was close to 11am when I could have my application form submitted and height measured. Regardless of height, the lady also asked everyone to reach up and touch the red tape on the pillar. tip-toe was allowed.

However, for those +/-158 cc wannabes, if you want to try touching the red tape at its designated height (i forgot the measurement) prior to spending effort to queue for the interview, do try to stand at least a foot-step away from the wall when reaching up. This is the actual scenario in place by requirement. By doing so, we were like reaching slightly up and forward. Thus, the max height reachable would be slightly shorter compared to reaching up when standing against the wall.
(This isn't really a tips, but rather... a sharing? to those who wanna self-test in advance at home :P)

Round 1 (group interview)_____________
Thereafter, we were grouped in 10. My group waited for ~45mins before entering the interview room. My group composed of candidates of diverse age (20-26) and background (ppl in workforce, undergraduates, cc from other airline, and even a mother). We were asked to stand up and self-introduce. Selective candidates were posted questions: What quality of you do you think can match with the requirement of SIA CC? Everyone in my group was prepared in advance and in average, all were confident and outspoken.

Result: 3 out of 10 proceeded to round 2 (fortunate me was one of them :D)

It ended at 12.20pm. We were told to have a lunch break and reported at 1.45pm.

Round 2 (kebaya fit + skin check + interview)_____________
Upon returning, we had our original documents reviewed. An half hour wait followed before we, a new group of 10, proceeded to the room for round 2 (kebaya fitting + skin check). Each candidate faced two interviewers respectively in the room. The first one reviewed our look and posture in kebaya while interviewing us individually, while the second one (aka beautician) continued to interview us one by one while asking you to turn left, turn right, face back, straighten the arms, palm up, palm down... My kebaya was too long; with the hope not to trip over it while walking, I shortened it by folding it at the waist. :oops:

I observed that the interviewers combined their reports of respective candidate and had a discussion to come up with the interview result collectively.

Result: 6 out of 10 proceeded to round 3 (I was surprised :o!)

This round completed at around 3.15pm. Followed by a short wait of approximately 15 min, we were led to another room for round 3 (1-to-1 interview).

Round 3 (1-to-1 interview)_____________
Some interviewers were patient and nice, while others were commented as fierce.:cool: You might be asked to read a passage or simply proceed to Q&A.

- did you have any encounter with nasty customer? how did you deal with him/her?
- scenario: In flight, a passenger who claimed to have an unpleasant experience with the ground crew complained to you, what will you do? and how will you respond to him?

Result: out of the 6 candidates in the same group who made it through round 2 together, 4 passed. (not bad ya! 8-))

Round 4 (1-to2 management interview)_____________
I don't know much (yet!), because after 45 min of wait, I was told that my interview couldn't be accommodated due to time constraint and thus I would need to go down to STC for it on another day. you see! reaching at 9.30am couldn't even allow candidate to go through all 4 rounds of interview if applicable. If I predicted it so, I would have gone down even earlier to avoid such a situation and so as to return home with a definite outcome of the day-long interview. :x

Nonetheless, I'm very glad that my opportunity is still open and... pending.

I hope that my (commonly shared) personal sharing can give whoever missed the interview today another view of what to expect in the future interview, and hopefully some pointers to look out for at each respective rounds. :D
thanks.. i like your informative post.. wished there were more such posts..

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:32 pm

diversify wrote:
hafiz_ wrote:diversify, the st regis guy was the one who brought up the derivation of his name. gary and carrot. yeah my cousin, who sat after me, got in. they actually forgot to mention the name of the last guy after the first round that he got in. when i was leaving i saw him going back and he told me there was a screw up. so that makes 4 from our group...
oh wow.. but it was good experience for me, since it's my first interview ever since i graduated.. but i have to say, most of the guys in our group were quite impressive, though i thought quite a few emphasized on their customer svc skills.. nevertheless, i thought they spoke well..

Hi, Glenn here from the same group!
Ya,its quite a eye opener for me since its my 1st interview. Getting to see and experience how its run. Really upset to fail at the 3rd round!
Nonetheless, i will be making a come back! cannot give in so easily!! ^_^

sherrielynn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sherrielynn » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:39 pm

deja wrote:Round 3 (1-to-1 interview)_____________

ah , i see similiar questions being questioned.
expactations, irregular rest, drunk passenger.. reminds me of my interview last mth.

anyways seen the past few pages, dont give up ladies/gents.
maybe try for the walk in.

i guess i will be seeing flawlessbeauty in batch 66/08.
deja, i hope to see u too !
good luck !
Flutterby Flutterby

sherrielynn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sherrielynn » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:42 pm

pork12 wrote:
shenoes wrote:unofficial ban? chim.. i dun understand.. btw, 1-1 and management interview is diff.. so which is it? do u mean fail management test will have a ban and cant apply as cc in SIA for hw long?
I don't think I'm in the best position to give a good answer, but from prev posts, it seemed like if you failed either the 1-1 or the mgmt round, you will be 'banned' from passing the interview. I'm not sure if it's 4 or 6 mths, but it's around there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :???:
thats the rumored "ban" that should you fail the management round you are not able to try for the same position within half a year. For EK this rule applies.

but not sure if it applies for SQ cuz its nt written in black and white like EK..
Flutterby Flutterby

yuanz

Post by yuanz » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:25 am

rachelhoe wrote:lol talking about keep q-ing up... did anybody or anyone know of somebody Q up again after they fail?
lols dont ever try that its not allowed! u might get blacklisted. thats the purpose of the ladies who were sitting there keying in the applications to prevent people from retrying on the same date. Anyway as much as i know there isnt a ban if you fail the 1-1 interview. and its a 3 mth ban if u failed the management round. it used to be 6 mths but i'm not sure whether they revert it back or not..

rachelhoe

Post by rachelhoe » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:32 am

its my first time. from what i see.. the 1st round is really by luck one.. one of the girls are really good and couldnt get thru. 2nd round i guess they start to ask you more questions with the lights on you. =(
One bad thing about making a deal with the devil is, he always comes to collect.