Singapore Expats

who has a walking commute, is it feasible?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
stacey
Regular
Regular

who has a walking commute, is it feasible?

Post by stacey » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 6:46 pm

especially a walking commute to the financial/business district, where the banks would be.
Is it feasible in terms of distance, price, and weather? (aside from 'it depends'?)

many thanks!
cheers!!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 6:48 pm

sure it is feasible. why wont it be???

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:06 pm

:oops:

It is feasible is some US cities while you certainly need a car in other cities...

:oops:

ok, so how common is it?
it's feasible in NYC, small tiny percentage of people have walking commutes...
maybe feasible was not the right word?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:27 pm

singapore is very small, so you can get housing just about everywhere, even walking distance to business district.

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:45 pm

yes... but i heard or read somewhere around here that there arent much or any shoebox studios or 1br apartments, so you usually have to rent 2 or 3 bedrooms with a lot more space that at least we are used to it, and it gets very pricey, then it gets less feasible.... even on pricier points that I can still afford, i prefer not to live in too-pricey places because that's just not my style... i'm more like sprite, image is nothing, thirst is everything, although I dont drink sprite because of the calories :)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:55 pm

I would say 'no it is not' depending on the the length of the commute. Your hair will be limp with sweat, your mascara running down your face and your pretty silk blouse decidedly 'pitted out'. At 9am in the morning is is already 80 degrees in Singapore... And then there is the rain. :o

Fifteen minutes is probably my threshold...

Despite recent news stories, I think you'll find the typical Singaporean a bit slower than you average Manhattanite... Give my regards to Union Square, will you? :wink:

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:04 pm

thanks.... that hot weather is a good point...

in NYC in the summer it is just as bad and crazy...
I had a 15min subway ride, and then a 10minute walk at some point, walking at the speed of ny'ers, and by the time you get to work, it's already time to go shower again because you're all sweaty smelly and crapy!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:39 pm

Where are you in New York? Lots of people I love in New York...

:cry:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:41 pm

Stacey,

The summers in NYC are worse than here. The average temperature that you will need to deal with here is 32 C. With the max at 34 C. (89-93 F).

I know when I worked in Washington DC is wasn't uncommon to have 104 F during the summer.

Nah, I'd have to agree with r.n.t. 15 minutes at a brisk pace would mean runners to work with your clothes in a backpack and a shower facility at work.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:50 pm

I've lived in Westchester/CT and brooklyn and manhattan LES... lately on a shoebox :) &u/ur friends :)

Wash DC is pretty nice, at least to visit during the cherry blossom times :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:36 pm

It may not get over 32 (90) much here SMS but the humidity sits at 75% and higher all the time, so that can take it out of you more than 40 (104) with dry heat might. Even at a "cool" 24 (75) here at night the humidity is still at a minimum of 75%.

Stacey I know quite a few people here who walk to work, most are single, but some are couples with a one or two bed place, they selected their apartments based on their workplace being close. They don't do a run or brisk walk to work but grab a coffee on the way and enjoy the more relaxed lifestyle here. They also do not need a change of clothes. :wink:

Oh, and they have a lot of their nightlife walking distance too. Prices are doing strange things right now so it may just be an option for you.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 9:16 am

i lived in manhattan for 8 years and i would say there is a very close similarity to NYC in august and singapore. are you talking about a "walking commute" as in walk to the MRT and then walk from your stop? that's very doable. the MRT is very easy, clean, efficient and most important - AIR CONDITIONED!

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 9:23 am

And they use an umbrella to hide from the sun and rain.
I know someone that walks to work and he is based at CBD but in the height of the summer I wont fancy that one bit.
If you move out of CBD then rents do get cheaper. $1.07 each way on the MRT.
Zeenit

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 9:28 am

CBD? Central Business District? eh?

the subways in NY are air conditioned, except for the few that arent and you're lucky to choose. But the stations are NOT.
Waiting for the subway for a minute feels like having run the marathon...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 9:32 am

that's what i meant about air conditioning! i can remember waiting for the number 1 at reade street and needing a shower by the time i got to work!