Singapore Expats

What do locals think is appalling behaviour from expats?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
banker

Post by banker » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 5:28 am

Global Citizen wrote:Sierra, black is acceptable at Indian weddings.
The Indian culture is more complex and diverse. The black is not acceptable in most of the Indian families.
I love Singapore

banker

Post by banker » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 5:39 am

drusilla wrote:SMS is the mod, so when he says give it a break, we should!! :roll:

Thats one example of appalling behavior from expats, or is it just SMS?? :? even though i agree on most of what he mentioned about the table manners of Singaporeans (chinese or otherwise, although i'm quite sure he was referring to Chinese) :oops:

Back to the topic:

One of the most common behaviour of the western expats i've noticed, yes, usually westerners, is that they compare everywhere else to "home". Expats shouldn't expect everywhere else to be "like home".

I'm working in Saudi and it makes me sick to keep hearing them start a sentence with,"Back home, we do not do this. We'd... (fill in the blanks with holier-than-thou methods or ways of carrying out certain duties)" :roll:

I find that most expats are unwilling to be flexible and adapt to the environment that they are in. Instead, they expect locals to understand where they come from and the way they do things. Everything is about "me, me, me!!" Thats what puts me off sometimes.
I'm here in Saudi too, but I'm unable to resist to compare Saudi with Singapore. BTW where are you in KSA?
I love Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 7:04 am

banker wrote:
The Indian culture is more complex and diverse. The black is not acceptable in most of the Indian families.
I assume you are talking about unenlightened Indian families. My "Indian" extended family has no problem with black at all. And I've been around for two generations of marriages & births & deaths. Guess you might be talking about a specific religion rather that the so-called 'race'. There are a lot of different religions practiced in India, not just Hindu.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Post by drusilla » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 8:48 pm

banker wrote:I'm here in Saudi too, but I'm unable to resist to compare Saudi with Singapore. BTW where are you in KSA?
riyadh

banker

Post by banker » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 2:29 am

drusilla wrote:
banker wrote:I'm here in Saudi too, but I'm unable to resist to compare Saudi with Singapore. BTW where are you in KSA?
riyadh
I'm too in Riyadh. My workplace is near Kingdom tower. Looking forward to SQ flights opens on 14 Dec right?
I love Singapore

banker

Post by banker » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 3:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
banker wrote:
I assume you are talking about unenlightened Indian families. My "Indian" extended family has no problem with black at all. And I've been around for two generations of marriages & births & deaths. Guess you might be talking about a specific religion rather that the so-called 'race'. There are a lot of different religions practiced in India, not just Hindu.
I think that is what I meant by saying "Indian culture is more complex and diverse". We are not able to generalize as Global Citizen mentioned.

I just shared what I knew. I have nothing against you or global citizen.

Thank you & bye.
I love Singapore

greg07

Post by greg07 » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 9:03 pm

Well this is not a generalisation but its from my own observance. I find that some of them think locals are not smart enough, they categorise locals according to negative stereotypes. I think some expats tend to that because they cant adapt to a new environment or different lifestyle and they are accustomed to culture, mentality and lifestyle back in their own countries. there's a repulsive incident incident, where a group of expat men were making snide remarks and laughing at a local guy even thought he was just passing by and did nothing wrong. basically, whether anyone is an expat or not, we are all human beings. We should treat/respect people the same way people wanna respect us , be civilised.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:25 pm

guys !!!! who gives a rats what the locals thinK. Ban us and watch the whole eeconomy dispapear up its own a&&&. Come on. Wake and smell the beans. How many thriving Singapore buisnesses are there in Europe or the states. non right ....theres a reason.

Racist no. realist yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewerey.
So freakin tired of locals explaining their self worth. Bugger off and make an actual difference !!!!! not some half arsed attempt at stealing some body elses glory.

Tricky eh !!!???
Cheers

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:34 pm

and before the loacl of informed " relatively speaking" locals join in!!!!!!!!!!

How many expat employers are there looking for singaporeeans. None!!!!!!!!

You had the edge with with the Chineese language but your arogance got the better of you.
So now the chineese dont trust you and the expats think you're .......................................

Harsh but real

Live with it

banker

Post by banker » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:04 am

bigfilsing wrote:guys !!!! who gives a rats what the locals thinK. Ban us and watch the whole eeconomy dispapear up its own a&&&. Come on. Wake and smell the beans. How many thriving Singapore buisnesses are there in Europe or the states. non right ....theres a reason.

So freakin tired of locals explaining their self worth. Bugger off and make an actual difference !!!!! not some half arsed attempt at stealing some body elses glory.

Tricky eh !!!???
Cheers
I'm not replying to all your points as some of them don't make sense but wish to highlight some facts.

You need to read these facts with the context. Singapore is relatively young country, she doesn't have any natural resources. She has built-up her strength from nothing in the last 30 years.

UK: ComforDelGro (operate 14% of London's buses), Singapore Food Industries (own the Covent Garden soup brand and employ over 1400 in the UK) and CSE Servelec Group operates from Sheffield HQ office.

SembCorp: Sembcorp Utilities opened a new biomass energy plant in the NE of England. The company is the key supplier of essential utilities such as steam and power to major international companies at Wilton International - one of the UK’s largest and most important manufacturing sites.

ST Engg: The world's largest MRO provider with an annual commercial airframe capacity of more than six million manhours, the Aerospace sector is capable of supporting engines, components, engineering and materials services, including Total Aviation Support, for aircraft operators.

NOL: The NOL Group’s brands, APL and APL Logistics, are leaders in the global container transportation industry with more than 11,000 employees providing services in over 140 countries

PSA: PSA operates 28 ports in 16 countries including Belgium premier terminal.

Hope you know Singapore Airline is one of the leading airline. Keppel and SembCorp Marine are the largest Rig Builders in the world.

The above are some example there will be many more.

You can find statistics here:
http://www.iesingapore.gov.sg/wps/wcm/c ... OD=AJPERES
I love Singapore

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 6:31 am

Appalling behaviour from expats?
Examples:
guys !!!! who gives a rats what the locals thinK. Ban us and watch the whole eeconomy dispapear up its own a&&&. Come on. Wake and smell the beans. How many thriving Singapore buisnesses are there in Europe or the states. non right ....theres a reason.

Tricky eh !!!???
Cheers
and
and before the loacl of informed " relatively speaking" locals join in!!!!!!!!!!

How many expat employers are there looking for singaporeeans. None!!!!!!!!

You had the edge with with the Chineese language but your arogance got the better of you.
So now the chineese dont trust you and the expats think you're .......................................

Harsh but real

Live with it
:roll:

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Post by drusilla » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 1:08 pm

banker wrote:
SQ flights opens on 14 Dec right?
maadri... mali shogul... (don't know, don't care)

normally use Cathay, just to pass thru HK to buy foodstuff... :D

besides, not going home till june... :?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:51 am

thanks EF for the Quigong contacts, now I have actually do something about it
earthfriendly wrote:
EADG wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:My idea of is a bit different from Americans......Americans dislike that
well, sounds silly, it's just too big a place and there's too many of them to say what all of them like or dislike

timely comment given the new president.....

on a side note, you mentioned a friend's Chigong teacher, if you have more information please PM me, I want to get back into that
I hear yah. It is a observation about general behaviours and not an attempt to stereotype. I shall contact my sister for the qigong contact :) .
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape