Singapore Expats

Advice on moving to singapore and job hunting

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
winger7
Regular
Regular

Advice on moving to singapore and job hunting

Post by winger7 » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 8:30 pm

Hi people, I am new to this forum and would appreciate lots and lots and lots of feedback as I dont know how active this forum really is.

Anyway, I have plans to move to Singapore within a year and a half at most but seeing how there is something of an economic crisis, things might be more difficult.

I am almost 23, taught at a kindergarten for 6 months which wont count for much, and currently working as a front desk officer at a hotel and been here for over 6 months now, and I plan to stick with this job till I get a year's experience. I have a university degree from Canada, citizenship in Canada and Hong Kong (dual citizenship). I have lived in Shanghai Beijing Hong Kong Toronto and other parts of Canada as well and believe that it will work towards my advantage in interviews.

I'm also unsure to whether i start looking for jobs before i move to Singapore or look for one before i move there, because if i look for one after i move there i could end up spending way too much before i even find a job.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated :D

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Post by Hithnar » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:24 am

Hi there! I am just gonna throw my 2 cents on the question to look for a job from abroad, against coming here.

Even with a year of experience, it is just a year, or even 1,5 year. Degree helps. But you will be just like any other fresh grad here in SG, who has some experience. Now, why would any employer want to wait for you to get here for an interview, or hustle with your relocation, when they have 10 other ppl with the same qualification already here?

And even if they have you here available, would they risk applying for an EP, when in those harsh times the Ministry appears to be protective of the local citizens?

Personally, I would wait at least 2-3 years, get some solid experience, maybe some fancy certificates, maybe a post-grad degree... If you decided to come here to look for a job, better have the returning ticket and don't burn any bridges.

However, you may try to go for LPR, I think there used to be some scheme for ppl from H-K, but maybe I am just imagining things.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 8:12 pm

I am wondering could a work pass holder (EP/S Pass/Work Permit) took up part time jobs?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:11 pm

cavlink,

No. You are only allowed to work for the sponsor of the Work Visa.

Hithnar,

The scheme for Hong Konger's was LPR as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:00 am

Hmmm....Is there such thing as a 'white card' that allows you to stay in singapore for 30 days without working. Last i heard from my previous employer about this.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Hi

Post by Saint » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:22 am

calvink wrote:Hmmm....Is there such thing as a 'white card' that allows you to stay in singapore for 30 days without working. Last i heard from my previous employer about this.
:shock:

It's called a tourist visa!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:25 am

:lol:

Officially called a Social Visit Pass.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote::lol:

Officially called a Social Visit Pass.
:tongue:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:35 pm

That was for the cringe retort! :P

winger7
Regular
Regular

Post by winger7 » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:52 pm

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated...

Hithnar, true why would employers bother hiring foreign ppl when things r so much simpler for permanent residents there..but then u know of friends that graduate and go straight to singapore to look for a job, pretty sure theyre not citizens of singapore even if they look to be in the future..

so yea i was wondering if my friends can go to singapore to look for jobs then it should be possible...but i really dont know, 2 or 3 years makes a lot of sense but i want to move there asap! :x

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:02 pm

social visit pass is now 90 days for UK passport, even if you are coming in via the causeway. it is only for social visit, NOT for working!

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Post by Hithnar » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:09 pm

Look at this forums, and you will see that MOM is lately much more cautious when it comes to granting EP, specially to fresh grads who in any way reassemble fresh grads with local citizenship.

And yes, I know of people who moved here as fresh grads and did pretty well, but usually they did not have the education/qualification background of the locals, that were looking for a job. Think about it - is it really that uncommon to have a degree and a year experience as front desk officer? Dun think so too. And you really need something extra special to make the employer interested in taking all the hustle of getting you an EP. Or even waiting a week or two before you can get here for a job interview.

If you are so eager to come here as soon as possibility - don't hesitate because of my humble opinion. But excuse my smug smile when you will be boarding that plain back home :twisted:

And id you check that LPR scheme for HK?

Earl de Vasconcellos

Flying Kiwi....

Post by Earl de Vasconcellos » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 8:00 am

Hi All,

I am new entrant to this forum...Am a hard working kiwi based in Auckland and am planning to re-locate to Singapore...I would appreciate any advice from someone in the Airline Industry ( Freight / Ground / Aircraft Handling etc) what are the opportunities in Singapore for me. I have over 15 years Airline experience (Supervisory & Manager Level ) in Freight Sales / Operations / Load Planning & Load Control B744F / MD11F , Risk Management - Claims Prevention & Processing , Warehouse & Ramp Supervision , Pax Facilitation etc ...I have worked with various Airline Systems . Sorry I do not hold a Uni degree...Am well versed with MS applications...

I have checked out various agencies in Singapore before and have been told I have to check with the MOM for my Work Permit...

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated...Cheers

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:23 am

Singapore Airlines always need staff!.. You can try their jobs portal online... @ singaporeair.com

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Flying Kiwi....

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:34 am

Earl de Vasconcellos wrote:
I have checked out various agencies in Singapore before and have been told I have to check with the MOM for my Work Permit...

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated...Cheers
Basically, they were giving you the brush off. Without a degree or a vertical skillset that is rare here, you will have a difficult time. As far as the Work Permit is concerned, it is up to the "Employer" NOT the potential employee to check with the MOM for work permits. You have to find a company that is willing to hire you as they, not you, must file for the work permit (which is only good for that company). However, relocating here in a recession does not seem like the smartest of moves at the moment with everybody tightening down the hatches.

Good Luck with your quest though....

sms